Sponsored

Did you get told you are having a "Mid-life Crisis"?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I got the midlife crisis comment a few times right after I bought the car and my reply was "I'm 36."

I've loved mustangs and sports cars in-general since high school, but due to a bad first marriage and some other general life circumstances I wasn't in a position to buy something until this year. I had a 67 camaro project car for a long time but it's never come to fruition for a number of reasons. My dad has it now, still in pieces. A guy at work was in his mid 40's with grown children when he bought his SS and his reply to people was "It's not a midlife crisis. I've ALWAYS wanted one, but it took until now to be in a position to do it." Basically the same as me, but I managed to be in position a bit sooner. Mine had to be a second car and I can't float two payments so I had to get my truck paid off first. He uses his SS year round. That dude has driven to work in some serious snow, even when he was running P-Zero's..LOL
Sponsored

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT, 2017 GT350
Like others have said I don't think it's age as much as being able to afford it and practicality of the vehicles at the time in my life. I had cool cars when I was younger (69 Mach I and a 66 Sunbeam Tiger) but then got married had 3 kids and had to sell the cool cars for Mini-Vans and Mazdas :) When kids got out of college I started buying toys again, priorities changed. So since turning fifty (9 years ago) I've owned 5 different mustangs and currently have a 2007 Shelby GT and the 2017 GT350 in the stable...and I'll keep adding to the collection as long as I can afford it and the wife approves.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
i see nothing wrong with something you enjoyed having/watching when you were young and getting it when your older and financially stabled.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
TIL having a 3-car garage makes you rich.

Interesting.
Not to mention hilarious.

I've got five garage stalls total on my property and am far, far removed from anything resembling "rich"...

Sponsored

macroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pkg.
46 - so the age fits. However, no one has accused me of having a mid-life crisis. I actually have joked about it a few times.

The wife does call it the loud redneck car. Thinking of getting the Dukes of Hazard dixie horn for it....

ncrisis

NCRISIS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 DIB Black Roof Track Pack
yep.. license plate reads NCRISIS

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I guess if you always drove a boring car like a Camry and then suddenly bought a GT350 people might use the mid-life line on you.
I think that's the way people who aren't car enthusiasts see it - because they've been the world's Camry drivers their whole lives and always will be. In particular, I think being a car enthusiast hardly registers with them. All they can see about a fun car purchase made later in life is people like themselves waking up one morning - about the time of their AARP eligibility - with the scary thought that they could miss out forever if they didn't start treating themselves RIGHT NOW.

I'd just turned 60 when I bought the '08. But I'd never bought quite the same kinds of cars that other family members and co-workers always seemed to, or driven them in quite the same fashion as they drove their cars, so I guess it didn't come to them as all that much of a surprise.

Norm

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I certainly did - at 53. I do have to remind people that this IS my 4th Mustang. I had an F-150 and a Taurus SHO for a while between #3 and #4 but that was only because you can't fit 2 car seats in the back of the GT.

Mid life crisis my butt....I am back to driving what I had been since I was 17....a MUSTANG GT BABY!!!!!!! :ford: