Sponsored

Dashcam Experiences

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Has anyone got a recco for a good dash cam - ideally, will be able to resolve license plates. I need two.

My prior one was a cheapo one on Amazon - it was ok for what it was but both stopped working within a few months and the stated resolution, while high did not translate to better video.

I'm keen to hook my rides up - esp given past experiences with people hitting me and denying claims.
Sponsored

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium

danielc

photographer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcarusophotography.com
First Name
daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp recaro
I got a DOD Tech 430 with the gps unit for christmas. I love the gps because you can view it on their software with a map. It resolves great detail and the night quality is very good with little grain/noise. They were $200 here in Canada on sale. But they have a new version with a slightly bigger sensor which I would go for. So far I am impressed with the images, now just to see how long it hold up for.

Oh, and you can turn off the speed stamp in the settings, so speed is not recorded on the video OSD. But the speed will be revealed in the program still. All files open and play on my mac in finder or quicktime.

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Thanks for the link!
I could have used a cam the other day... some jackleg in front of me stopped on the freeway to let a semi (who was still on the onramp) into traffic... thought for sure I was going to get rear ended!

Sponsored

DJinAC

More cars than brains
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Super Black Nissan Altima SL
I bought the one Best Buy carries and my only complaint is that it records in one minute intervals but the day and night time recordings are crisp and clear well worth the 200 dollars

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I bough a cheap Cobra brand dash cam. It's *ok*. It's pretty clear video, but you can't quite read license plates. Also sometimes when it's hot I think it overheats and shuts off. It's pretty good for track / autox vids though.

On the plus side, it logs GPS data in the videos, so you can playback your route with mph updated every few seconds using the proprietary software. I was able to use this as cause to fight a speeding ticket, although we never had to enter anything as evidence in court because the prosecutors gave up due to lack of evidence on the officer's side. They claimed I was going 52 or 57 (ticket was for 52, officer verbally said I was going 57), and dash cam clearly showed I was only going 50 max for a fraction of a second.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
The kids got me a cheap Car & Driver brand dash cam for Father's day. They know nothing about dash cams but did their best. It's my first venture into dash cams. I'll probably get a better one down the road.

willyms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Most of the guys I know have a Blackvue. Actually I'm thinking of getting one since this cam is not big and has good resolution.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I heard you cant really read plates with the BlackVue. Is that true?

Sponsored

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe

PhillMcKraken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_142025.html
+
http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=58 (with micro connectors)

Sits right behind your Rearview Mirror, and the USB plugs right into the back of the mirror. No need to run or hide cables, and its a capacitor dashcam so no worries about it overheating or the battery going bad.

Havent had a single issue with my setup in about a year now. Stick a 64gig microsd in it and you got a month worth of recording auto rotating.
Sponsored