Cruise control not working - possible misfire/surging

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Sometimes you need a few ignition cycles for the CEL to go away on their own. Not sure why the loss of coolant would have anything to do with the cruise control not working.

I would cycle the ignition a few times and drive it around for a day or so and see if that clears your CEL and cruise control issue.

I would be more concerned with your car using more than a quart of oil in 500 miles !!!! Historically, when the oil consumption gets that bad is when Ford agrees to replace the motor. I would look into that before you look into the cruise control issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Sometimes you need a few ignition cycles for the CEL to go away on their own. Not sure why the loss of coolant would have anything to do with the cruise control not working.

I would cycle the ignition a few times and drive it around for a day or so and see if that clears your CEL and cruise control issue.

I would be more concerned with your car using more than a quart of oil in 500 miles !!!! Historically, when the oil consumption gets that bad is when Ford agrees to replace the motor. I would look into that before you look into the cruise control issue.
I'm watching the oil. During last service ford said they located and fixed a "oil hose leak" which I dont' have more details of and didn't notice oil on my floor, but for now it seems to have zero oil consumption again.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I'm watching the oil. During last service ford said they located and fixed a "oil hose leak" which I dont' have more details of and didn't notice oil on my floor, but for now it seems to have zero oil consumption again.
Good to hear it’s not eating oil anymore. Maybe it was a minor leak

Give it sometime with the engine light. It might cycle itself off.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hmmm...have noticed since breaking out of winter storage occasionally under acceleration at higher rpms an intermittent hesitancy like a misfire but no CELs. Wonder if this is the same problem. No issues with cruise control.

amahop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arthur
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Just thought I'd share. This is a potential fix for anyone who might encounter this issue

I had an issue on the highway, car surging, not going above 50mph without me depressing/releasing the throttle constantly, the cruise control would turn on but stay greywgrey impossible to set to a speed. The car will give an error regarding hill drive assist everytime I came to a complete stop. Also no dtc code on the dash. Finally upon turning off the car I noticed the brake tailights would stay on, no matter what. That's when I look around my brake pedal.
In my case, a small cheap hard plastic part located upstream my brake pedal crumbled. This poece is supposed to keep the brake light sensor pressed in enough to turn off the brake and out of hole in the pedal bar so that when you have your foot off brake the sensor is pushed in. Without that cheap piece you get all of the issues I noted earlier.
Easy fix go to O'Reilly and look for hood clips part #963-514d. Locate the hole in you brake pedal arm where your sensor is resting . Turn on your car to be able to fully press the pedal. Press down the pedal REALLY hard or you won't be able to stick your finger and push the clip you just bought in that hole. After that you are good to go you shouldn't see any brake light still on when parked and everything else should be back to normal.

Sponsored

Andrews75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2018 ford mustang gt
Just thought I'd share. This is a potential fix for anyone who might encounter this issue

I had an issue on the highway, car surging, not going above 50mph without me depressing/releasing the throttle constantly, the cruise control would turn on but stay greywgrey impossible to set to a speed. The car will give an error regarding hill drive assist everytime I came to a complete stop. Also no dtc code on the dash. Finally upon turning off the car I noticed the brake tailights would stay on, no matter what. That's when I look around my brake pedal.
In my case, a small cheap hard plastic part located upstream my brake pedal crumbled. This poece is supposed to keep the brake light sensor pressed in enough to turn off the brake and out of hole in the pedal bar so that when you have your foot off brake the sensor is pushed in. Without that cheap piece you get all of the issues I noted earlier.
Easy fix go to O'Reilly and look for hood clips part #963-514d. Locate the hole in you brake pedal arm where your sensor is resting . Turn on your car to be able to fully press the pedal. Press down the pedal REALLY hard or you won't be able to stick your finger and push the clip you just bought in that hole. After that you are good to go you shouldn't see any brake light still on when parked and everything else should be back to normal.
I'm going to have to look into this. Just got my gt350 on Monday and upon driving home I tried engaging cruise control, which it didn't. Then the car started subtle surging. I parked it and took for another drive and the cruise worked fine. Drove all day and kept using cruise, on my way home I was in cruise on the highway and it kicked off and started doing the surge. Came to a stoplight and accelerated then I was able to engage cruise control again.

Kaj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
New owner here. My '18 occasionally surges on the freeway while maintaining speed. It forces me to pull over, turn the car off, and restart it.
I've also had cruise control shut off and refuse to work, even when no surge is present. Again, turning off the car and restarting seems to help.
I'm tired of having to do this.
Are we still kinda grasping at stars here? My warranty is expired but I did purchase a 5yr extension. IF a visit to the dealer will help, that is.

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
New owner here. My '18 occasionally surges on the freeway while maintaining speed. It forces me to pull over, turn the car off, and restart it.
I've also had cruise control shut off and refuse to work, even when no surge is present. Again, turning off the car and restarting seems to help.
I'm tired of having to do this.
Are we still kinda grasping at stars here? My warranty is expired but I did purchase a 5yr extension. IF a visit to the dealer will help, that is.
My car was doing the same exact thing. I did some research and found the following TSB which matches the symptoms exactly.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162060-0001.pdf

I took my GT350 and a copy of the TSB to my local Ford dealer and told them that I believe this was the issue I was having. They confirmed and did the repair and the car has not had any issues with it since.

Kaj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
My car was doing the same exact thing. I did some research and found the following TSB which matches the symptoms exactly.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162060-0001.pdf

I took my GT350 and a copy of the TSB to my local Ford dealer and told them that I believe this was the issue I was having. They confirmed and did the repair and the car has not had any issues with it since.
I saved a copy of that TSB. I'll take it in asap, thank you. Glad to hear it helped. To confirm: I know we are saying "surging" but my car actually does the opposite. While cruising, it cyclically loses power. I'm assuming we are talking about the same thing.

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I knew what you meant..... :) “missing" is actually the best description of the behavior. It is almost like the car is intermittently cutting out.

Sponsored

RevinKevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP/PP
Here's a possibility:

TSB 19-2135 Page 1.png
I have had this completed by the dealership and it still does it. They then went back and then checked the warranty work, and saw it was done by the previous owner. They wanted to charge me three hours of labor, to "see if they could figure it out". They also saw some voltage dips and spikes, when looking at the car. I wonder if that could be doing it. I have also seen the hill brake assist notification flash for a second, which makes me think it could be the break light sensor shutting down the cruise control. Shit 😕

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Coudln't find it, but seems I recall some threads on this topic where if the TSB didn't work, replacing the actual ring under the tailshaft housing did. Maybe look into that.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I had this problem and did the TSB and nothing worked (thought it was fixed for a bit then came back after track days). Then the trans failed and I got a new clutch and trans at 12k miles and it never happened again.

Last edited:

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this completed by the dealership and it still does it. They then went back and then checked the warranty work, and saw it was done by the previous owner. They wanted to charge me three hours of labor, to "see if they could figure it out". They also saw some voltage dips and spikes, when looking at the car. I wonder if that could be doing it. I have also seen the hill brake assist notification flash for a second, which makes me think it could be the break light sensor shutting down the cruise control. Shit 😕
Sounds like your dealership has no idea what they're doing - or just didn't do what you asked.

RevinKevin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP/PP
I had this problem and did the TSB and nothing worked (thought it was fixed for a bit then came back after track days). Then the trans failed and I got a new clutch and trans at 12k miles and it never happened again.
Jesus! I hope that doesn't happen! I am almost out of date on the power train warranty.
Sponsored