Sponsored

Convertible Tonneau Caps

flubyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi All,

I apologize, as this forum topic has been posted before, but I am hoping for some guidance. I took delivery two weeks ago of a used 15 Mustang that was formally a Ford Executive car. The car is missing the left and right convertible caps. (See picture for the part I am talking about)

During the sales process, I brought the missing caps to the dealer's attention multiple times, siting the owners manual, marketing materials and online sources that they were included with the vehicle new and should be with it. The dealer had no idea what they were, siting Ford part diagrams that they were not part of the convertible mechanism (they aren't an integral part of the top movement) and that their other floor cars also did not have them.

Anybody that was in this boat previously, how was the issue resolved? Any used car owners out there that don't have them? They can't be ordered, so how do I go about getting them?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Tonneau Caps.JPG
Sponsored

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
I bought new and mine were mailed to me by Ford. You may want to contact the previous owner and see if they have them on a shelf at home.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
Good Luck tracking them down from previous owner as many did not receive them. I got so aggravated with Ford "No Service" Department on these caps, that I sold my Ford stock!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I find them rather useless. You probably gonna end up just leaving them on the garage shelf anyway.

Sponsored

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
I find them rather useless. You probably gonna end up just leaving them on the garage shelf anyway.
I agree. I have used mine two or three times. mine stay in the trunk. i use them for shows mainly.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
I agree. I have used mine two or three times. mine stay in the trunk. i use them for shows mainly.
Sorry to say, your pretty much SOL. The dealer isn't required to provide everything that originally came on the car unless it's a safety issue. These cars are typically bought at auction by the used car manager, and they come how they come. Some used cars won't even come with both remote keyless entry fobs. You'll get on fob, and one key that's just been cut by the dealer. Can't really do that with the push button start cars though. I'd just see if you can find a pair. Maybe go to the for sale section on this forum and post a WTB ad. Good luck.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Try calling the Ford Performance Center at 1-800-367-3788. I work at a Ford dealer and they have been very helpful at tracking down if the boot covers were shipped and to whom. They administered the boot cover late shipments to the original 2015 owners that did not get them. At very least they could help you purchase new ones.

Danacblack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1
My used 18 didn't come with mine, has anyone ever tracked any of these down?

Sponsored

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
Mine are now collecting dust in the garage. Put them on once and decided it wasn't worth all the hassle. I wish they engineered self-moving caps that would come up on their own and cover the sides when the top was finished opening.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Mine came with my car when I bought it, still in the box. I used to use them all the time until I discovered the small cuts in the canvas from the caps, then they were regulated to car show use only. Last November I took mine in for the top replacement because of these caps, Ford footed the bill because I was still under warranty. The service writer, who's been a family friend for 20+ years showed me the bill, the local shop charged Ford 900 for labor and for Ford supplied the parts, which were $6,700. The new revised set of caps are still in the box as my car is still in storage because of the WuFlu. After hearing that the new set may still cause the same problem, they may stay in the box.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Mine came with my car when I bought it, still in the box. I used to use them all the time until I discovered the small cuts in the canvas from the caps, then they were regulated to car show use only. Last November I took mine in for the top replacement because of these caps, Ford footed the bill because I was still under warranty. The service writer, who's been a family friend for 20+ years showed me the bill, the local shop charged Ford 900 for labor and for Ford supplied the parts, which were $6,700. The new revised set of caps are still in the box as my car is still in storage because of the WuFlu. After hearing that the new set may still cause the same problem, they may stay in the box.
And to think I’m on my fourth roof due to a dealer bodging the work up twice (original factory fitted roof, the second roof the dealer put a hole in the fabric and broke the mechanism, the third roof they tore the fabric, the fourth one they got somewhat right only for another dealer to step in and finally fix). Ford rejected all their warranty claims on each roof too as they knew it was dealer error so no wonder the dealer doing the dodgy work banned us from their premises without fixing the car and left us to go elsewhere!
Sponsored