Sponsored

Consumer Reports Crappy 15 Mustang Reliability

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
When you have people bragging that the shift the car at red line every time they drive it, shit will break.
Sponsored

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
When you have people bragging that the shift the car at red line every time they drive it, shit will break.
Everytime you get in a sports car you should be able to redline it. Maybe
engineering needs to revisit their calculations

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Everytime you get in a sports car you should be able to redline it. Maybe
engineering needs to revisit their calculations
Unrealistic to think that you can drive a car 10 10ths all the time and expect it to live.

I don't care what it is.

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
It's very funny how many people think they know more than a publication that does what they do for a living. As a teen (during mid to late 90s) I used to hate CR because I grew up being a Ford and VW fanboy and I hated when I bought their magazines that Fords and VWs had either the full black marks or the half black marks on most of their cars vs all the red full dots in the Japanese brands like Toyota, Honda, Subaru and Nissan (Mazda back then wasn't very reliable and Nissan was very reliable). The reality is that most of the time they happened to be right. They were always fans of the 4.6L engine giving average to above average in reliability to the crown vic, marquis and town car triplets. The 2010 Mustang always had average to above average reliability and guess what? My 2010 has had so far 62,000 trouble free miles (knock on wood). I also notice how Nissan went down in their reviews the last 6 to 7 years regarding reliability and road tests and my mom's 2010 and 2013 Altimas were a nightmare. They have never been a fan of German automobiles and we all know they are the best to drive but have terrible reliability and they have always been fans of Japanese cars and we all know they are the most reliable cars in the world (except Nissan). Their top 2016 car picks video on youtube are mostly Asian cars expect the Impala and F-150.

A lot of friends and family come to me for advice when buying a car and I always tell them that if they want a car to take them from A to B with no visits to the dealership except for maintenance go buy Japanese (except Nissan), but if they want something more fun to drive and good looking go to Ford, VW (conservative looking but best handling mainstream brand by a mile) and of course the German 3.

Going back to the Mustang, I have heard here and there that the EB has had many issues. BTW, after reading many of the threads, man!! are EB owners sensitive or what?!! Hahahaha Do they have the Napoleon complex some how? Anyways, I haven't heard many issues of the 5.0 expect complaints of the Getrag tranny and of course the fit and finish has been a big issue. When I take my car for service, I'm always wondering around the new Stangs and I have seen quite a few unacceptable gaps.

All in all, I happen to think CR is a good publication.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Unrealistic to think that you can drive a car 10 10ths all the time and expect it to live.

I don't care what it is.
Tell that to Honda owners. My friend's S2000 is approaching 200k miles and he still redlines it every time he drives it. Needs nothing more than oil changes and normal scheduled maintenance.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Taking in to account how many people on this forum alone nit pick the living daylights out of every little thing on this car I'm sure this same subset of owners is influencing CRs reports.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Lets face it, and own it, Ford let the Q/C on the S550 go completely to hell,down the shitter,if the shoe fits then Ford has to wear it,you can"t put lip stick on a pig,it is still a pig.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium

I don't care what it is.

I think you need to know the difference between a race
engine and streetable car (stock)

Race engines require a tear down after a few passes, not true
for stock vehicles

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Again, you're not understanding what I'm saying. Please read better if you want to have a constructive discussion. What I said is that EcoBoosts have issues that the GTs don't have. Primarily the PCV for the sake of this discussion although there are other issues like the incorrectly gapped spark plugs that I briefly alluded to. I already stated the PCV was a TSB, not a recall, so not sure why you're clarifying that...

You keep wanting to blame engine failures on mods when there have been many documented stock blown motors too. It's not that easy to dismiss. But hey, ignorance is bliss. I get it, the 2.3EB is the greatest thing since sliced bread. This is why I stay out of the EcoBoost subforum now and didn't bother making an "EcoBoost to GT" thread. So many super sensitive EcoBoost owners that don't want to acknowledge the issues in plain sight. Nice gif by the way, very mature. :thumbsup:
I understand exactly what you are saying, maybe you don;t understand what you are saying.

"If this CR report counts both the EcoBoost and GT in the same rating then I can see why it's low"

You are introducing your opinion (the Ecoboost is to blame) into a conversation about why consumer reports gave the Mustang poor reliability rating. I am a member of 2 Mustang forums for the sole purpose of trying to figure out if my Ecoboost is in fact problematic and I read all the blown engine threads. All of the threads I have seen were modified and out of warranty. Where are all these documented, unmodified Mustang Ecoboost engine failures? Post the links so we can read them.

I have also talked to a very reputable Ford dealership about the PCV TSB and in 2 years that have seen 2 instances of white smoke due to a faulty PCV, and no engine failures. I have the original PCV in my car and no issues with smoke. I do have an issue with my EB/PP brakes squealing which is shared with the GT, and body panel alignment issues that are shared with the GT, and the door latch recall which is also shared with the GT. What about the grinding gears and the driveshaft problem? Are those EB specific?

1 Big Loser In Consumer Reports' 2015 Annual Auto Reliability Survey

There were some interesting changes in Consumer Reports' reliability report this year. Here are some highlights.

Daniel Miller
(TMFTwoCoins)

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:44AM

On Tuesday, Consumer Reports released its Annual Auto Reliability Survey, which takes into account data from more than 740,000 vehicles. It's a report that investors in the automotive industry should take notice of, as the magazine has more than 8 million subscribers and its report has an even wider reach through other media outlets.
With that in mind, here are a couple of surprises the report revealed for investors of Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F), Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA), and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (NYSE:FCAU) -- and a look at which one came out the biggest loser.

Biggest improvement: Ford
Despite Ford ranking 16 out of 28 and remaining in the lower half of the rankings, the folks at the Blue Oval showed major gains. Nine of Ford's 13 models scored by Consumer Reports ranked average or better for reliability, and the brand overall jumped six spots higher from its ranking of 23rd last year, which was the biggest improvement of any brand.
Much of the reason behind Ford's jump is that the automaker has launched a plethora of new products within the last few years -- not only new models but new infotainment systems, powertrains, and transmissions -- and as those technologies mature, common issues are resolved and reliability improves.

A real positive sign for Ford investors is that the redesigned F-150 -- America's best-selling truck and Ford's most profitable product -- scored above average in its first year; although, on the flip side, the 2015 Mustang had reported issues with its drive shaft, traction control systems, and body hardware.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I understand exactly what you are saying, maybe you don;t understand what you are saying.

"If this CR report counts both the EcoBoost and GT in the same rating then I can see why it's low"

You are introducing your opinion (the Ecoboost is to blame) into a conversation about why consumer reports gave the Mustang poor reliability rating. I am a member of 2 Mustang forums for the sole purpose of trying to figure out if my Ecoboost is in fact problematic and I read all the blown engine threads. All of the threads I have seen were modified and out of warranty. Where are all these documented, unmodified Mustang Ecoboost engine failures? Post the links so we can read them.

I have also talked to a very reputable Ford dealership about the PCV TSB and in 2 years that have seen 2 instances of white smoke due to a faulty PCV, and no engine failures. I have the original PCV in my car and no issues with smoke. I do have an issue with my EB/PP brakes squealing which is shared with the GT, and body panel alignment issues that are shared with the GT, and the door latch recall which is also shared with the GT. What about the grinding gears and the driveshaft problem? Are those EB specific?

1 Big Loser In Consumer Reports' 2015 Annual Auto Reliability Survey

There were some interesting changes in Consumer Reports' reliability report this year. Here are some highlights.

Daniel Miller
(TMFTwoCoins)

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:44AM

On Tuesday, Consumer Reports released its Annual Auto Reliability Survey, which takes into account data from more than 740,000 vehicles. It's a report that investors in the automotive industry should take notice of, as the magazine has more than 8 million subscribers and its report has an even wider reach through other media outlets.
With that in mind, here are a couple of surprises the report revealed for investors of Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F), Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA), and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (NYSE:FCAU) -- and a look at which one came out the biggest loser.

Biggest improvement: Ford
Despite Ford ranking 16 out of 28 and remaining in the lower half of the rankings, the folks at the Blue Oval showed major gains. Nine of Ford's 13 models scored by Consumer Reports ranked average or better for reliability, and the brand overall jumped six spots higher from its ranking of 23rd last year, which was the biggest improvement of any brand.
Much of the reason behind Ford's jump is that the automaker has launched a plethora of new products within the last few years -- not only new models but new infotainment systems, powertrains, and transmissions -- and as those technologies mature, common issues are resolved and reliability improves.

A real positive sign for Ford investors is that the redesigned F-150 -- America's best-selling truck and Ford's most profitable product -- scored above average in its first year; although, on the flip side, the 2015 Mustang had reported issues with its drive shaft, traction control systems, and body hardware.
I don't have time to search all over for the stock engine failures. The problem is many of these people mention it in other people's threads and don't make their own which is why it's hard to go back and find them later. This discussion is not that important to me and it wouldn't change your mind anyway. I remember one of the stock owners was an older guy with an automatic convertible that said he was just accelerating at an average pace from a red light and the motor let go at like 3 grand. Another source I remember was a dealership worker saying they had seen 3 stock EcoBoosts in for engine issues and that another dealership had seen 6 so far (back in the spring). Even if I did spend the time to find all the links to these statements to prove they're true, the next excuse would be "well that's less than 1% of all EcoBoosts built etc etc." Like I said, believe what you like.

Regarding the PCV: If it's such a small issue then why did they bother re-engineering the part? For fun?

As for consumer reports statements, it sounds like they weren't referencing engine issues. Fair enough. I guess their random sampling didn't happen to question those individuals with engine issues. Strangely, aside from panel gap and a few driveshaft complaints, I personally haven't read about any widespread issues in those areas CR mentioned so that's pretty interesting.

DJinAC

More cars than brains
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
2017 Super Black Nissan Altima SL
Nice car....Except it doesnt come with a manual transmission option.....and that it looks like a plain ol' (previous generation) malibu.
It does come with a 6-spd manual gearbox.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Consumer Reports' business model is they "ask" for money in order to "properly" review things. For cars, the "fee" is something like 30k.

GM/Subaru/etc. pays CR 30k (per car) for reviews. They get "comprehensive" information.

Ford doesn't give them any money.

When you read some of the articles they have a whiff of "well if we did more research it may be better". That's CR telling the manufacturers to give them money.

The Mustang is relatively simple (roomy and safe!) for a modern sports car. Ford sold so many of these things that they have a vested interest in making them work.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Consumer Reports' business model is they "ask" for money in order to "properly" review things. For cars, the "fee" is something like 30k.

GM/Subaru/etc. pays CR 30k (per car) for reviews. They get "comprehensive" information.

Ford doesn't give them any money.
And you know this to be true . . . exactly how?

Norm

Ender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 B5 Blue Challenger Scat Pack
I had an EB I ditched after some issues. Most of it was minor stuff like TSBs for the brakes, cooled seats (which that still didn't fix), etc.

The big one for me was needing to have a cylinder head replaced at 10k miles which required it to be in the shop for almost a month. That was a red flag for me.
Sponsored