Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
First build thread on the forum, short time forum lurker and question asker. Two years ago I bought my second car after saving for a few years. My first was a 1995 Honda Accord EX Coupe I bought at 14 (she sat pampered in my garage until I was old enough to drive her). She developed transmission issues (these Honda models had automatics made of glass) so I sold her and bought my neighbor's 2016 Ford Mustang V6 for a smoking deal. This mustang was babied, washed every other day, and had 16,000 miles on her. Why didn't I get a V8? Insurance in California for a man my age with a mustang already is shocking, even for a V6. I will take the (now 90ish or so) horsepower hit and enjoy my lighter V6...I crave the V8 but love my girl too much even after driving a few. The previous owner (bless his soul) passed away a month before I bought the mustang, and his wife's nickname for the car was...you guessed it...Cobalt Filly. License plate coming soon in their honor.
57950C1D-BB55-4DE5-B524-AEC5E27B2B0F.jpeg

Needless to say...I developed car fever after a year of mustang ownership. I started with simple things (having learned the basics on my Honda...and youtube off course). A nice tint and the front windshield replaced with aftermarket (had 2 large rock chips, and I gained blue visor tint). The custom exhaust was next: resonator replaced with an x-pipe and Spintech mufflers for a little throat. Shoutout Norcal Muffler for making a V6 sound decent. JBA Shorty Headers (really woke her up more! much deeper tone) went in next, with custom quad tips and a GT350 style valence (a cheapo off American Muscle, quality and fitment was OEM amazing! way better than I expected, still holds up after a half year-ish with no fading or other problems).
image02.jpeg
iamge03.jpeg

A little RTR grille and Cyclone badging later and I felt she looked a bit more respectable. Now we were getting somewhere. Then I decided that some suspension was in order (thank you @tj@steeda for your help and your suspension boys for their advice). Installed the following more or less in order:
Non-Adjustable Shocks and Struts
Sport Progressive Lowering Springs (1.74" drop for my girl)
New (cut) Jounce Bumpers
Camber Plates
AMR Tuning using SCT
Note - since Cobalt is my daily driver, I wanted something that would be comfortable for my older parents and yet aggressive enough in the corners for spirited driving (now tracking heh...) and this setup is AMAZING at everything. I may try some other springs or some AJ Hartman Coilover Conversion kit...but for now my goodness this is a great setup.
dclassic 2024-01-15 102311.462.jpeg

This year I did the unthinkable and asked "what is autocross?" And now I am addicted to the SCCA, autocross, and track days. Ran my first autocross on the stock 17s and Michis and loved every second. I was only 2 seconds slower than all the big boys in CAMC...but who cares it was freaking fantastic fun!
IMG_1001.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg

The addiction led me to “livery” work and my next crazy mod...Look at them MEATS. 19x11 square setup using APR studs, 25mm spacers, and 295/35/ZR19s...delicious.
IMG_1671.jpeg

At this point I swapped my tuning from AMR to MPT due to idling issues. Glad I did because the trans tuning is godly. She feels peppy and she found some power in there somewhere (I keep checking the engine bay...am I missing 2 cylinders or something?) Added front and rear tow hooks in preparation for a track day...
IMG_1966.jpeg

Track day!!!
EA315B3A-7ACE-4926-A4F5-B5D9792F8923.jpeg
DSC_0628.jpeg

And in preparation for my second track day next week...upgraded to PP1 Brembo brakes to prevent glazing and burning of the 2-pot pads. I can probably stop time with these big boys.
47CBC6BE-26B3-4DE7-B68B-3F8792AC3186.jpeg
EDFCF264-078B-4051-9F26-B7A58F7D2BC0.jpeg

Will update when I can! Hope you guys like seeing the V6 track/daily!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a 6 speed?
6r80 đź«Ł I like the paddleshifters. MPT tune fixed every single shifting problem I was having including a bit of the lag.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice!! Car is clean.
Thank you!!! Any and all advice is welcome, looking at CSF Radiator, Coolant Flush, and RaceLouvers RT Center/Side Louvers and Fender Curved/Rear Louvers next. Any suspension tips are welcome, though we do have track alignment running perfectly currently. Need to address heat first.

Darren M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT PP
Fix the nut behind the wheel first! Seriously, IMHO, get as much AX time as you can. Learning to spin or not spin at ~30mph sure is a lot easier, and safer, than when it happens at 60+.
Enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Fix the nut behind the wheel first! Seriously, IMHO, get as much AX time as you can. Learning to spin or not spin at ~30mph sure is a lot easier, and safer, than when it happens at 60+.
Enjoy the ride!
You betcha! 4 down, lined up 4 more events in the next 2 months, and more after!

Sponsored
OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread. Good job! The V6 powered S550 Mustang is terribly under appreciated.
So excited to get a full build in! Considering procharging someday as Procharger said they are considering CARBing the kit… spam them to make it happen so I can do this!!!

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Big fan of the Cyclone V6. Had one in a 2012 Mustang before the 2017 GT I have now. They are deceptively fast! There was a 2013 V6 Mustang at Solo Nats last year in CAMC. He beat a fair number of us and the engine was stock.

Brigadir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT CS