Sponsored

Clicking/Ticking sound from brakes? UPDATE: It was the rear axle

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I had a sound that I believe might be coming from the brakes. It's a clicking/ticking sound that is noticeable when driving close to a concrete wall or turning at low speeds. Does anyone hear this sound on their GT350? Sorry it's hard to record or I would have provided audio.

See post 10 for what caused the sound.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Welcome to owning a car with pins securing the floating rotors!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes normal. Worst is when you stop driving and hear it as you walk away

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
At the end of the Track Attack everyone got a hot lap with an instructor. They were absolutely flying and when one of them pulled in I grabbed my phone and recorded this. Mind you, this is the rear and the front was even noisier.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Ok cool just wanted to check. That's what I'm hearing.

Sponsored

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
Is it normal for mine then to only make the ticking noise when turning right? I was wondering what the noise was, didn't know about floating pins doing that. Sounds like it comes from my driver side rear wheel area, so would make sense. I check everything else and it was all right and nothing in the tires

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Is it normal for mine then to only make the ticking noise when turning right? I was wondering what the noise was, didn't know about floating pins doing that. Sounds like it comes from my driver side rear wheel area, so would make sense. I check everything else and it was all right and nothing in the tires
Same here. Just noticed this and it very prevalent when turning right thus coming from the front driver's side. I have heard the cooling of the brakes and the rotor pins ticking away as they cool down but this is different. Like the spindle bearing?

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
This happens with 2 piece rotors as was mentioned. You will really notice it in a parking garage, going slow and making a tight turn.

For shits and giggles ...tell your dealer ablut the issue and let them come up with a diagnosis. I've seen dealers retorqye lug nuts, to tightening down the bolts on the rotors and some have even replaced brakes. (Same issues with the Hellcat brakes).

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Huh, I've heard that sound coming from my front passenger side when driving close to walls or turning left. When turning right, it got quieter. I haven't heard it at all the past few weeks though.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I wanted to follow up on this thread after taking my car to the dealer. It wasn't the the brakes making the noise but instead my rear axle. The drivers side was throwing grease so they replaced both axles to be safe. The clicking/ticking sound must have come from the axle because the sound is completely gone. I recommend anyone with this sound take your car in and have them put it on a lift and check the rear axle.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have the ticking sound but mine sounds like it is from the front and comes from the brakes. I've been under my car and haven't seen any signs of grease from the rear.

Could be multiple factors that cause similar sounds.

Glad that you got taken care of!

-T

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'd guess that if it got to the point of being audible that you lost quite a bit of grease from the joint. Was the barrel of the wheel slathered (as well as nearby suspension components)? I ask because there have been at least half a dozen here, including myself, that had to have their driver side rear axle replaced due to a torn boot.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'd guess that if it got to the point of being audible that you lost quite a bit of grease from the joint. Was the barrel of the wheel slathered (as well as nearby suspension components)? I ask because there have been at least half a dozen here, including myself, that had to have their driver side rear axle replaced due to a torn boot.
Yup that's exactly what happened. The driver side was the problem but they replaced both just in case.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yup that's exactly what happened. The driver side was the problem but they replaced both just in case.
My dealership just got back to me regarding my rear axle. They say it is the boot and the part is on backorder until JULY 1!...I recommended they replace the whole right unit, because 5 weeks?!
Sponsored