Change differential 3.15 on 3.55.

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
I have yet another concern, because any_key has an automatic transmission. If it's like the automatic Mustang I drove and the transmission computer is stupid, a different final drive might just make the transmission quicker to shift up. Instead of going uphill in a 50 km/h zone in 5th gear, it might go to 6th.

No matter what you do with the hardware, be ready to click the shift paddles and override the software.

After enough days or weeks of telling the transmission what gear you want, it might understand the assignment. In theory.
However, I just found this thread where owners talk about the transmission's "adaptive learning". They're not impressed with it, and they're talking about ways to turn it off:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-adaptive-learning-question.188344/
And that's why you need to use FORScan to tell the computer what gears you have. 😂
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When I changed mine to 3.55 from 3.15 I drove the car before doing anything with the software. The car drove fine, shift points were a bit sooner, not really noticeable.

When I got back to the shop I hooked up forscan to change the ratios in the BCM, to my surprise they were already changed to 3.55. The car did it by itself.

I have the same thing happen when I changed my battery from the stock to an optima AGM. I didn't have my laptop with me so I had to wait a week before resetting the battery monitor crap. Again the car had automatically detected and inputted the correct battery information.

These cars are programmed to be a lot smarter than I thought.

Your mileage may vary

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The lowest gear you can program is 3.13. But even if you did the car will ignore it.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
I went with the 3:15 instead of the 3:55 on my '22 A10 for lower highway rpm at speed and technically better gas mileage but I doubt that made measurable difference given where the optimal torque curve is. I probably should have stayed with the standard 3:55 for more responsive downshifting at low speeds. I find I will either force a downshift via paddles or stay in Sport at lower speeds.

Sponsored

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Hi. I want change differential 3.15 on 3.55.
What is the difference 3.55 on AT and MT transmission?
And what other change need done, except replacement differential?
If you are planning to go with a power adder later, I would stay with the 3.15 ratio rear especially if you have an auto trans...

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
If you are planning to go with a power adder later, I would stay with the 3.15 ratio rear especially if you have an auto trans...
You must know all about his combination to make that determination.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
You must know all about his combination to make that determination.
Well, if you talk to some of the guys that know in the industry, a 3.15 rear with a supercharger for the street makes a great combo. BTW, f off.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Well, if you talk to some of the guys that know in the industry, a 3.15 rear with a supercharger for the street makes a great combo. BTW, f off.
You are just regurgitating what you hear. Recommending a gear ratio based on nothing, nice. F off? Not a chance, kid. Pull your emotions together and relax.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
You are just regurgitating what you hear. Recommending a gear ratio based on nothing, nice. F off? Not a chance, kid. Pull your emotions together and relax.
You're the one coming off poorly. He stated his logic and it was just a side comment.

Sponsored

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I dunno... @80FoxCoupe didn't tell anybody to "f off". 🤷‍♂️
I just assumed he knew the combo and that was the basis for the recommendation. If that's a poor assumption, I'll take that. But if that's true, the recommendation is worse.

In most cases if a response starts with "Well," and ends with "f off" its safe to say he was unhappy with my assumption.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
What is the standard ratio on of a standard manual Mustang GT? Is it 3.55 or 3.73?