CarPlay maps only when connected, I want the Ford maps

Ukomegan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550 convertible V8, MX5 ND, Volvo S90
Hi I have a 2019 Vert, I’m in France and live in the middle of nowhere, therefore 4G is off more than it’s on for a radius of around 80 miles from home. (It’s the same here on long journeys in the country).
My frustration is I use car play for music from my phone, but by default when the phone is connected the Ford maps seem impossible to select.

Anybody know how to make the Ford maps work when the iPhone is connected?

it’s driving me nuts!
Sponsored

sachmo133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I think the simplest thing to do is use the blue tooth connections and not plug in the phone. If you want to power the phone get a cig. Power to usb adapter. That keeps it all on the ford side of things.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
yeah, there's no way to use carplay with the Ford nav. Have to disconnect carplay.

sachmo133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
yeah, there's no way to use carplay with the Ford nav. Have to disconnect carplay.
You don’t have to diconnect it all you have to do is go back to the Sync app and you have the normal stuff. That way the music can play off the phone and you can use ford nav.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t have to diconnect it all you have to do is go back to the Sync app and you have the normal stuff. That way the music can play off the phone and you can use ford nav.
Not with carplay. the Nav button automatically brings you back to carplay for the maps on that. can't use ford nav

Sponsored

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
I know Google Maps and Waze on Android devices allows you to download map regions for offline use. Does iPhone allow for that? I know they lock out or force modifications of some weird stuff sometimes (like how Chrome on iOS and MacOS devices uses the WebKit rendering engine instead of the Chromium rendering engine) but I'd be surprised if they didn't have that basic feature that's been baked into Google Maps for longer than I can recall.

sachmo133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Not with carplay. the Nav button automatically brings you back to carplay for the maps on that. can't use ford nav
Sorry I was going from memory from my car a few years ago. New car doesn’t have nav. I hate “we know what you want more than you” features.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I was going from memory from my car a few years ago. New car doesn’t have nav. I hate “we know what you want more than you” features.
lol i know, right? i like how ford nav tells you the town you're in as you drive, but google maps doesn't. it's such a stupid small feature but i like it.

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
Well, at least it's not GM implementing their own system that will eventually stop getting updates rather than just continuing to use long-established APIs like Android Auto and CarPlay which rely on a smart phone, which people that care about in-car technology will also always have.
Sponsored