Can I use Mobil 1?

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I'm about to do my first oil change and need a bit of advise. I used Mobil 1 in the last 350 but I want to double check before I buy 30 quarts of the stuff. Mobil 1 5w50 $5.99 a quart. Should I use this oil?
Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
IIRC, it does NOT meet Ford specs for a single component (forget which one). However, I have used Mobil 1 on all my vehicles with great results. Am hoping the modify their formula over time to comply. Will use crappy Ford oil until then.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I use M1 0W-40 in mine with zero problems and zero oil consumption. I have 10k on the clock now and have changed the oil/filter twice (after break-in period...changed twice before 1000 miles). The manual does not state that using an oil not meeting the WSS-M2C931-B specification will void the warranty. Here's what it states about engine oil that WILL void it:

Your engine has been designed to use engine oil that meets Ford specification or an equivalent engine oil of the recommended viscosity grade that displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that is not covered by Ford warranty.
My $.02...

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
And by the way, I've got 4 cases of M1 5w-50 that I'll sell you for $100. :D

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Choice in Oil

Mav, why the choice in oil? Seems a bit odd to me to put a random oil in a $25,000 motor. You quoted yourself from the manual not to use a different viscosity. If I were you I would delete all of this BTW. If you ever have a motor problem you are going to be hosed if Ford finds out your choice in oil. JMHO.

Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Again, read the language. It states the engine is designed to use oil that "meets Ford specification or an equivalent engine oil of the recommended viscosity grade that displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines". "Recommended" is the key word here. If the warranty was voided by using something that wasn't recommended, it would be clearly stated.

Truth be told, the reason it isn't stated like that is because Ford knew at the time that Motorcraft (a Ford brand) 5w-50 was the only oil on the market that met the spec, and there are laws that prohibit manufacturers from forcing owners to use only their products.

And the reason I use 0w-40 is because it is a multi-viscosity oil that has the best of both worlds - cold start flow and high temperature viscosity protection. Have you checked your oil pressure on cold start? Have you heard about the oil pump gear failures? I'm not willing to take the risk of an OPG failure on cold start just because Ford wants to save it's own ass by recommending an oil for everyday use that really should only be used on the track. When I take mine to the track, it'll have 5w-50 in it. For the 99.99% of the other time I drive it, it will contain a lower viscosity oil.

Boss 302 owners found out the same thing about their cars...5w-50 is overkill for daily driving.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Yeah, you know me!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Again, read the language. It states the engine is designed to use oil that "meets Ford specification or an equivalent engine oil of the recommended viscosity grade that displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines". "Recommended" is the key word here. If the warranty was voided by using something that wasn't recommended, it would be clearly stated.

Truth be told, the reason it isn't stated like that is because Ford knew at the time that Motorcraft (a Ford brand) 5w-50 was the only oil on the market that met the spec, and there are laws that prohibit manufacturers from forcing owners to use only their products.

And the reason I use 0w-40 is because it is a multi-viscosity oil that has the best of both worlds - cold start flow and high temperature viscosity protection. Have you checked your oil pressure on cold start? Have you heard about the oil pump gear failures? I'm not willing to take the risk of an OPG failure on cold start just because Ford wants to save it's own ass by recommending an oil for everyday use that really should only be used on the track. When I take mine to the track, it'll have 5w-50 in it. For the 99.99% of the other time I drive it, it will contain a lower viscosity oil.

Boss 302 owners found out the same thing about their cars...5w-50 is overkill for daily driving.
What's your cold start pressure?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
And the reason I use 0w-40 is because it is a multi-viscosity oil that has the best of both worlds - cold start flow and high temperature viscosity protection. Have you checked your oil pressure on cold start? Have you heard about the oil pump gear failures? I'm not willing to take the risk of an OPG failure on cold start just because Ford wants to save it's own ass by recommending an oil for everyday use that really should only be used on the track.
I'm less concerned with cold start (in the actual cold) and more concerned with the time it takes to warm up. If the OPG is going to fail ..so be it - it's warrantied. That said - I don't plan to drive it on really cold days - decided against running anything but summer rubber. But - on a 40-50deg day - warm up will likely be 10-15min of driving! Already I can drive 10mi on highway before reaching 180...

Currently warm weather cold start pressure is about 100

Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Cold start pressure is about 75 PSI, but any off-idle operation immediately pegs it at the bypass at 105. As was stated, it takes 10-15 minutes of normal operation to get the oil up to normal operating temperatures.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've run my car a lot in below zero temperatures. The Voodoo works fine in the cold with the factory recommended oil.

Ford even published a video showing cold temperature testing on the GT350.

Believe me, you don't know more about what's best for the GT350 than Ford's engineers do. If there was a good reason to run lower viscosity than 5w-50, they would have us doing that.

Cold start pressure is about 75 PSI, but any off-idle operation immediately pegs it at the bypass at 105. As was stated, it takes 10-15 minutes of normal operation to get the oil up to normal operating temperatures.
When ambient temperatures are cold the oil doesn't get very warm, no matter how long you run the car. I guess it depends on what you consider "normal". I didn't really like the fact that the oil doesn't ever get up to 180F when the car is run in cold temperatures.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Believe me, you don't know more about what's best for the GT350 than Ford's engineers do.
Then don't follow my advice. I don't claim to know more than Ford's engineers. But I also don't believe the "recommendation" to use 5w-50 in a street car that was advertised as "the most track capable" car is purely design driven.

If there was a good reason to run lower viscosity than 5w-50, they would have us doing that.
The engineers' input was likely limited to answering the question, "Hey, will it cause any harm to recommend 5w-50 all the time?"

When ambient temperatures are cold the oil doesn't get very warm, no matter how long you run the car. I guess it depends on what you consider "normal". I didn't really like the fact that the oil doesn't ever get up to 180F when the car is run in cold temperatures.
I taped off the lower grill and cooler openings last winter and had great results with better temps. Without blocking the coolers, my transmission oil temp would barely get to 100 degrees under any style of driving.

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Soooooo I guess that's a no to Mobil 1.......?
Sponsored