Sponsored

Camaro folks are noticeably worried....

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
2 years? I though you said the economy was going to crash in 10-17 months and our way of life is over?
This whole forum is full of rumor.

What is not a rumor:
There is at least one Ford employee in the know on this forum and Ya'll are gonna have to wait another 60 days to get all the real specs, unless some dipwad spills the beans.

:amen:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
This whole forum is full of rumor.

What is not a rumor:
There is at least one Ford employee in the know on this forum and Ya'll are gonna have to wait another 60 days to get all the real specs, unless some HERO spills the beans.

:amen:
I think you used the wrong word initially ;)

-T

Sponsored

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Actually the current 5.0 is no faster then the current base SS in a straight line.
I admire your poor language (says a lot about you) and its that attitude that's got this country going down the toilet. You can't touch my experience with the mustang from a (build and test) R&D perspective unless you worked with/along side me at FMC in Dearborn. I've owned and raced both cars for decades, probably longer than you are old. Tested many other domestic/European iron all over Woodward ave. Infact Woodward was our public test track in early 80's-early 90's and when my director was testing cars in the 50's, 60's and 70's... I applaud you for your opinion. Unfortunately it lacks anything that goes against my experiences as a R&D Engineer with Ford & GM and I've owned both cars. Now I own a 14' GT500 and a lease 13' E63 S AWD.
:lol:

As posters here have already shown, the best GT stock 1/4 mile time was .36 seconds faster than the SS's fastest stock 1/4 mile time.

.36 seconds going at 115mph (trap speed) is 61 feet. Meaning the GT is roughly 61 feet ahead of the SS when it crosses the 1/4 mile.

A bus is about 35 feet long.

A stock GT racing a stock SS (equal drivers) will have the mustang nearly 2 bus lengths ahead. In what world is that "no faster"? If I was a company that hired you at some point in the past I'd ask for my money back.

IGJoe2192

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automobile
I admire your poor language (says a lot about you) and its that attitude that's got this country going down the toilet. You can't touch my experience with the mustang from a (build and test) R&D perspective unless you worked with/along side me at FMC in Dearborn. I've owned and raced both cars for decades, probably longer than you are old. Tested many other domestic/European iron all over Woodward ave. Infact Woodward was our public test track in early 80's-early 90's and when my director was testing cars in the 50's, 60's and 70's... I applaud you for your opinion. Unfortunately it lacks anything that goes against my experiences as a R&D Engineer with Ford & GM and I've owned both cars. Now I own a 14' GT500 and a lease 13' E63 S AWD.

If you had done all of this, I doubt you'd be wasting your time on a forum bragging about it...

SuperC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mercury cougar
Let's be honest here: the Camaro outsold Mustang again last year. Superior drag times and stock performance between the two cars obviously hasn't been enough to push Ford over the top with the buying public.

When I saw the 2015 I didn't think Ford threw their strongest punch. I think they sold out a little bit with the corporate Fusion styling and the 4-cylinder option. I know it was also a necessary evil, when you pull up to Applebee's and see 5 current-gen Mustangs in the parking lot they kinda lose that pop that a sports car should have. That's the downside of building a popular car.

On the upside, Ford's always altered the Mustang styling from year to year and I think with a few tweaks they can get the incoming model turned around.

Dyno

Let's be really honest here... none of the pony cars are selling well and the Camaro has had the advantage of a newer platform since 2009. You can call outselling the Mustang by roughly 3,000 sales last year worth mentioning (I dont), but the last few months show the '14 waning and the refresh is not working like it should. The issue is all of the pony cars, and especially the Mustang are a bit stuck in the past.

I don't think design is the only problem per se and it sure as hell isn't performance. So many of the new competitors that are fighting for cross shoppers have superior overall quality, modern interiors, more advanced technology and more refinement. All things valued by the now younger buying crowd. The Mustang is fixing all of that in this upcoming model and the Camaro will be playing catchup for at least a few years.

The 4 cylinder also plays perfectly into this strategy. It's lighter, will be the best handler, and it hits the right price point for the masses and global markets. Chevy will have to think long and hard about their international strategy for the Camaro if it wishes to compete with the EB Mustang.

SuperC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mercury cougar
Let's be really honest here... none of the pony cars are selling well and the Camaro has had the advantage of a newer platform since 2009. You can call outselling the Mustang by roughly 3,000 sales last year worth mentioning (I dont), but the last few months show the '14 waning and the refresh is not working like it should. The issue is all of the pony cars, and especially the Mustang are a bit stuck in the past.
No. Camaro outselling the Mustang is definitely the issue. I don't care if they sold 1 more car than the Mustang. Mustangs have MUCH more of a mindshare with the public but yet the Camaro is beating it in sales.

Ford whiffed bigtime with the 2015 design. They can(and I guarantee WILL) make some body modifications for the 2016 and if they have any smarts at all, drop the 4-banger. Trying to make a Mustang look like a Fusion is completely sad. It reeks of corporate sellout. People who want Eco-friendly sedans will buy a Fusion. People who want a MUSTANG will buy the 2014s on down until Ford wakes up and smells the coffee.

Sponsored

IGJoe2192

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automobile

I don't think design is the only problem per se and it sure as hell isn't performance. So many of the new competitors that are fighting for cross shoppers have superior overall quality, modern interiors, more advanced technology and more refinement. All things valued by the now younger buying crowd. The Mustang is fixing all of that in this upcoming model and the Camaro will be playing catchup for at least a few years.

The 4 cylinder also plays perfectly into this strategy. It's lighter, will be the best handler, and it hits the right price point for the masses and global markets. Chevy will have to think long and hard about their international strategy for the Camaro if it wishes to compete with the EB Mustang.
+1

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Pretty much what Dyno said.

I will add that some still like the old muscle car feel and rawness of a car. If anybody is sticking to that formula it is Chrysler with the new Viper and older platform for the Challenger. I think there will be a niche for that, but not a volume leader or seller going forward while most likely will see lower sales as the generations change hands. The new Viper is still crude and raw, which some people like. I like a balance of new tech when it makes sense while offering some muscle car roots such as having the ability in the V8 trim to add an after market thumping cam and a good solid exhaust note. Yes, the car is sleeker, and lower to the ground with less muscle car look and feel to it, but the future isn't the S197. Thankfully Ford made those models, and a ton of them for us to collect or admire. The live axle and 4x4 ride with a below par interior was the flaws or dings that some give the Mustang. All of that has changed (finally) with the new generation and platform.

That's my honest non fanboy look at it.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Pretty much what Dyno said.

I will add that some still like the old muscle car feel and rawness of a car.
I totally understand this.

I have a 2010 GTI and have test driven a friend's Cayman, and one thing I've found is that neither of those cars provides the brashness and excitement I am looking for.

The GTI is well balanced and decently torquey, but the throttle response, turbo lag, and annoying exhaust drone have been grating on me. I didn't notice those issues during my test drive, but the more I live with the car the more annoying those factors become to me.

The Cayman had great throttle response and handling, but the shifter was pretty terrible (it was a 5 speed), the engine had no torque, and the engine/exhaust sound was a bit grating and did not encourage me to rev to where the power is.

After hearing nothing but great things about the Cayman from pretty much every publication, my expectations were pretty high, and it was a bit of a let down (except when you had a chance to really open the car up). My 350Z on the other hand has a worse ride, but has a much better shifter, more torque, a very responsive engine, and a great V6 burble that I really like. I had expected the Cayman to illustrate how my Z was lacking, but instead I felt the opposite and only noticed the ways in which the Cayman didn't live up to my Z.

What I've learned from driving these two cars is that I prefer a car with some personality, a good exhaust note, and a naturally aspirated (or supercharged) engine with good low-end torque (or at least an exhaust/engine/transmission combo that encourages higher RPM driving - I had a great time driving another friend's S2000 for a couple days, and that car certainly has little low end torque, but it felt very special in other ways).

Because of this I am leaning strongly towards the Mustang GT or GT350 as a replacement for the GTI (my daily driver) and the 350Z (my current track car and former DD). Very eagerly awaiting news on the GT350 and what it may have in store.

-T

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What I've learned from driving these two cars is that I prefer a car with some personality, a good exhaust note, and a naturally aspirated (or supercharged) engine with good low-end torque (or at least an exhaust/engine/transmission combo that encourages higher RPM driving - I had a great time driving another friend's S2000 for a couple days, and that car certainly has little low end torque, but it felt very special in other ways).

-T

How I feel as well. There are too many people hung up on numbers and performance on paper. There are people who have decided they won't buy the car if it isn't lighter than the S197. Those people are only letting themselves down. You're not going to buy the higher performance car and all of a sudden become Mario Andretti behind the wheel.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Exactly.
There will always be those who will choose to race the specs of cars they don't own or have never driven. I think all enthusiasts do it to a certain point. But feel behind the wheel will always trump specs, especially when committing to ownership. The success of the miata on both the road and track is a good example. For all the bashing those cars get, there sure are a lot of changed minds after the first time behind the wheel.
I have feeling the 6G is going to offer an incredible driving/ownership experience for the $… tighter, higher performance envelope and more refined, but still with a hard edge, brashness and "personality" we associate with the mustang.
Sponsored