Sponsored

Camaro folks are noticeably worried....

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
So I've gone around a checked out a few GM-centric websites, mostly those that cater to the Camaro, and it seems a lot of them are pretty worried about what Ford has given us.

Surprisingly, I think most of them approve of the new generation, but there are a fair share of haters, too. The one fact that seems to be common on those sites is that, from a performance aspect, the Camaro has been put on notice. Even the folks who ran out and bought a 1LE packaged SS are worried that the stock Mustang GT is going to make their cars an also-ran around a track.

Even the advocates of the perceived almighty z/28, that isn't even available yet, are worried about what a Ford might counter with on this new platform.

In fact, most of the conversation seems to be on what GM is going to do with their next generation Camaro to deal with this current vehicle. I would guess that GM will use the 2015 Mustang as the yardstick and will fall short on once again to compete with what Team Mustang will have on the table for that same model year. They're already bellyaching that it will not be fair to compare a 2015 Gen5 Camaro to the 2015 S550 Mustang.

I feel kinda sad for them over there. Just a little.;)
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
So I've gone around a checked out a few GM-centric websites, mostly those that cater to the Camaro, and it seems a lot of them are pretty worried about what Ford has given us.

Surprisingly, I think most of them approve of the new generation, but there are a fair share of haters, too. The one fact that seems to be common on those sites is that, from a performance aspect, the Camaro has been put on notice. Even the folks who ran out and bought a 1LE packaged SS are worried that the stock Mustang GT is going to make their cars an also-ran around a track.

Even the advocates of the perceived almighty z/28, that isn't even available yet, are worried about what a Ford might counter with on this new platform.

In fact, most of the conversation seems to be on what GM is going to do with their next generation Camaro to deal with this current vehicle. I would guess that GM will use the 2015 Mustang as the yardstick and will fall short on once again to compete with what Team Mustang will have on the table for that same model year. They're already bellyaching that it will not be fair to compare a 2015 Gen5 Camaro to the 2015 S550 Mustang.

I feel kinda sad for them over there. Just a little.;)
Eventually I feel most will give it a second chance...

Kingranch

They have good reason to be. There's still another ~2 yrs or two before we see a newly designed Camaro and there will be a lot of envy when one of the new Mustangs pulls up next to it on the street.

I've also visited some BMW forums and the reaction has been very positive....Ford has to be thrilled about the response. I think there will be a lot of brand jumping soon based on how great the s550 looks.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I was surprised how neutral most seemed to be, many admiring certain details and features. The haters exist for all brands including the Mustang. The ones I read about on the Camaro forums seemed very myopic in their criticism often echoing what was said before the car was released, likely because they don't have anything intelligent to say.

I think the biggest insult Ford can offer the Camaro guys is that they used BMW and Porsche as their benchmarks instead of their precious Camaro.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I browse and lurk at a few of those sites as well. Some of that hater attitude should be worn as a badge of pride by current and future GT owners as it shows the Chevy faithful are nervous and lashing out.

The Alpha Camaro due out in 2015 as a 2016 model year has a high benchmark to meet now. Its good for both if the brands are competitive.

Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
My buddy from work who is a moron just keeps saying it looks like a Fusion. Or an Accord. And he doesn't talk about performance at all. Then again, he thinks drag races are the end all, be all of automotive performance.

He's a moron.

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
My buddy from work who is a moron just keeps saying it looks like a Fusion. Or an Accord. And he doesn't talk about performance at all. Then again, he thinks drag races are the end all, be all of automotive performance.

He's a moron.

Yeah, I've heard a few people say it looks like an Accord Coupe. So I made this comparison for them. Wow, I couldn't believe it, they were right, they both have 2 clear lights in the front, and back also!! They both come in red and have dual exhaust. I guess I'll just have to go out and buy a current Accord Coupe now that they looks so similar, I could save a lot of money not getting the GT.
Mustang-Accord-comparo.jpg

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
I think they are looking at the rear window angle, which is similar, but that's about the only thing that's even close.
Mustang-Accord-comparo2.jpg

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Hey, look, the the rims on both are circular.

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
...I think the biggest insult Ford can offer the Camaro guys is that they used BMW and Porsche as their benchmarks instead of their precious Camaro.
We will need to be careful in pushing this insult.

The Camaro folks will have a comeback that has already been proven on the Alpha platform already used by Cadillac, which is the next Camaro platform. GM used the German and Japanese high end cars as their benchmark as well, and the comparos in the magazines so far are showing that they pulled it off bigtime. Mustang hasn't proven anything yet.

The Gen 6 Camaro will be very competitive platform-wise with the S550. Let's hope they screw up the styling with more retro and the competitiveness with no turbo 4.

Sponsored

Revenant

Threads
Reaction score
I've had a particular Camaro nut, who happens to be friend, posting a lot of garbage that shows in my Facebook feed. For a picture response, I made the attached image. Feel free to use it at your own discretion. The truth is that if they can't respect the Mustang, they have a problem. No matter who manufactures it, the S550 raises the bar and the next gen Camaro will be built better because of it. Better still, the Camaro's origin story doesn't exist without the Mustang.
silvergtreartext.jpg

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I've had a particular Camaro nut, who happens to be friend, posting a lot of garbage that shows in my Facebook feed. For a picture response, I made the attached image. Feel free to use it at your own discretion. The truth is that if they can't respect the Mustang, they have a problem. No matter who manufactures it, the S550 raises the bar and the next gen Camaro will be built better because of it. Better still, the Camaro's origin story doesn't exist without the Mustang.
Funny stuff. I LOL'd. :lol: