Sponsored

Bye bye M3 ... Hello GT350 R

ssjvegita

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW E92 M3
that and the crazy prices for aftermarket parts are def things i wont miss hahah
Sponsored

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
Just to be clear, I'm not hating on the M4 at all. Its just the change from the S65 to the S55 seemed like a downgrade to me in the visceral department. Yes in every measurable performance test the F8X cars are phenomenal. I just love the linear pull to 8400rpm and the way the car just wants to get to redline with the S65 and not to mention the aural enjoyment of the intake roar along with the exhaust note makes every cruise such a pleasure, I never listen to my stereo...

There is only 2 cars that excite me enough to get out of my FBO E92 M3 and thats the GT350 or a 991S. Just that the 991S is just financially out of reach, not to mention the last PCar I had my wife and I actually had marital problems because of it. Lets just say she hated it...:D
I didn't take it that way at all.

S65 absolutely produced more glorious sounds than the S55 ever could. The S65 N/A power delivery is very different than the S55 for sure.

The f8X platform is very good but far from perfect. Switching an OEM platform from N/A to a forced induction can be tricky as it may alienate some enthusiasts or in the least dampen their enthusiasm for the marquee. I think the only brand that might have produced a better forced induction platform from the previous N/A platform might be Ferrari with their 488. That will be a performance monster while maintaning all the previous Ferrari sounds, power delivery and driving dynamics IMHO.

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
that and the crazy prices for aftermarket parts are def things i wont miss hahah
Ahhh...yes the famous "M Tax" levied on all M products. It sucks.

Understandably, the less #'s of car produced, the more expensive each aftermarket unit has to be to maintain profitibality. But, it still sucks as a consumer.

ssjvegita

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW E92 M3
i agree with u socalsnake, however i think the new c63 shows that bmw could have gone a different route and still keep most of us happy, but yea i deff prefer a na engine. seems its becoming rarer and rarer these days to find that.

ps. omg i hate m tax hahah

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2

S65 absolutely produced more glorious sounds than the S55 ever could. The S65 N/A power delivery is very different than the S55 for sure.

The f8X platform is very good but far from perfect. Switching an OEM platform from N/A to a forced induction can be tricky as it may alienate some enthusiasts or in the least dampen their enthusiasm for the marquee. I think the only brand that might have produced a better forced induction platform from the previous N/A platform might be Ferrari with their 488. That will be a performance monster while maintaning all the previous Ferrari sounds, power delivery and driving dynamics IMHO.

glorious sound indeed !!! watch the whole thing...its sound so good [ame]

Sponsored

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A

The 488 sounds nothing like as good as a 458. I haven't heard the new car in person yet but on every video it sounds muffled compared the the wail of the 458. Most of the magazines are saying the same thing. Not to mention the 488's redline is 1000 rpm lower. Don't get me wrong, the 488 is a complete powerhouse but I'm a little disappointed Ferrari ditched their NA FPC V8. I had no problem with them turbocharging the California. Hell they should even turbo the FF and upcoming Dino, but I wish they kept the 488 NA, even if it made way less power/torque.

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
The S65 V8 has a beautiful sound ... I miss my E90 and E92 M3s. My E92 M3 was supercharged by ESS. That car was crazy. Probably not much faster than my F80 M3 but the overall experience was different. I have the M Performance exhaust on my F80 and it's loud, but it just doesn't sound anywhere close to that great V8 sound. I am really looking forward to hearing that V8 sound again ...

socalsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 5.0 GT PP
The 488 sounds nothing like as good as a 458. I haven't heard the new car in person yet but on every video it sounds muffled compared the the wail of the 458. Most of the magazines are saying the same thing. Not to mention the 488's redline is 1000 rpm lower. Don't get me wrong, the 488 is a complete powerhouse but I'm a little disappointed Ferrari ditched their NA FPC V8. I had no problem with them turbocharging the California. Hell they should even turbo the FF and upcoming Dino, but I wish they kept the 488 NA, even if it made way less power/torque.
Sound can be subjective...I think this sounds pretty good, don't know if really sounds muffled...

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]qlvMRTQ6-X0[/MEDIA]"]

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
The 458 Speciale has my favorite engine ever. That thing sounds so ridiculous. I know the 488 is a better car, but it surely doesn't sound as awesome.

gearhead999s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Range Rover Velar,2019 BMW M2C,BMW R1200 GS
Stock F80 M3 times at the track.Most magazines are 12.0 @119-120 which is a lot quicker than the S65 powered E9x M3.From my experience at the track the TT3.0 is much quicker.

Sponsored

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
The GT350 is probably the closest car you can get to an e9x M3. I like the interior on the new M4 and can appreciate the performance but it isn't for me.

gearhead999s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Range Rover Velar,2019 BMW M2C,BMW R1200 GS
The GT350 is probably the closest car you can get to an e9x M3. I like the interior on the new M4 and can appreciate the performance but it isn't for me.
That is the reason I jumped on getting a GT350 as there is something that is real special about this car that does not exist in the BMW world anymore!

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump in the road ...

So my plans have changed slightly ... the dealership that I was working with actually did not have an 'R' allocation like they thought. They tried unsuccessfully to trade for one, etc. but as of yesterday, they only had one remaining GT350 allocation.

I really wanted the 'R' version but after sleeping on it, I think I am going to take the GT350. My rational is that the car is 95% the same. I could always add the aero bits later (at least I think I can) to the GT350 and I always go with aftermarket wheels on my cars so the GT350 wheels (which I really don't love unless they look great in person) will be coming off. If the exhaust isn't loud enough for me, I can remove the resonators easily. The real thing I might miss are the radio/nav upgrades since I will be going with the track package but I can live with that I think. Plus I save on $10K so that never hurts. :D

I'm going to go with classic white and blue stripes on this one. I'm hoping I can get it ordered today and maybe get the car before the end of the year.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Is it possible to trade a regular GT350 allocation for an R allocation? I may get my dealer to try that if so. Does anyone have info on that possibility?

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it possible to trade a regular GT350 allocation for an R allocation? I may get my dealer to try that if so. Does anyone have info on that possibility?
Not really. I think in theory it's possible but any dealer that has an 'R' allocation likely wants to hang onto it to sell it themselves. That's the problem I ran into. My dealer talked to a number of dealers that had allocations but they wanted to sell for tens of thousands over MSRP so they wouldn't trade. I'm getting my deal at MSRP so I really can't be too demanding. My dealership also lobbied ford to exchange their GT350 allocation for an 'R' allocation with no success.
Sponsored