Sponsored

Bullitt cold air entrance

Leigh_bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
On the Mach 1 which has the same engine, the grill has a hole that feeds cold air to the filter.

where is the cold fed to the filter on the Bullitt because it obviously has a different grill to the Mach 1.

thanks for your help
Sponsored

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
On the Mach 1 which has the same engine, the grill has a hole that feeds cold air to the filter.

where is the cold fed to the filter on the Bullitt because it obviously has a different grill to the Mach 1.

thanks for your help
There is no direct path on the Bullitt grill. The honeycombs in the grill are solid in front of the air tube, unlike the open honeycombs in front of the condensor/radiator. You can drill the solid ones out with a 1/2" drill bit to allow flow. I did mine and it's barely noticeable.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Although not a Bullitt grill, you can sand the back off the hexagons and it gives a neat OE appearance :

1694468998492.jpeg

1694469028596.jpeg

WD :like:

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
It's fine the way it is from the factory.
The next time there's a flood and the bow wave doesn't kill your engine, you'll be glad you didn't change anything.
Be sure, the Bullitt runs 260 km/h in stock configuration, take for it the 4th or 5th gear. :rockon:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's fine the way it is from the factory.
The next time there's a flood and the bow wave doesn't kill your engine, you'll be glad you didn't change anything.
Be sure, the Bullitt runs 260 km/h in stock configuration, take for it the 4th or 5th gear. :rockon:
I mean yeah, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to tweak stuff or learn more though.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Yep,
Sandin the grille appears to get you there a bit cleaner, vs drillin.
Smart!

Might wanna A/B test that box before/after opening.

Wifi thermometers, or hard wired style can help.
We own both. Ive been putting hard wired battery powered Thermometers in hood scoops since a program I ran in 1998.
Dam... thats 225yrs ago now..

This 1 below only goes to ~140°F, but works for us at racetrack, in a different style, truly cold air intake, & not our own s550.

If you're willing to bring in less contaminated air, at least qualify it.

Every 10°F of temp change is 1% (increase or decrease.

In round #'s for easy of understanding. Another helpful ratio is:
On a 4000lb veh, every ~100lbs (decrease) is about 1/10 of second in quarter mile ET improvement.

Another exchange ratio worth understanding is
- about a ~12.5hp increase in ET performance is seen,
per every 100lb of wt# decrease in veh wt, @ 4k lbs veh, to start.. like an S550.

So, reducing your intake charge temps around 35° F, & losing 100lbs, gets you about ~30hp increase in aggregate. That can translate to close to 2.5 tenths of second.

Up to roughly ~40% of that 2.5 tenths total decrease, can be seen from 0-60.
The rest of the decrease in ET will be largely seen to about the ~660ft mark.
...& just a hundreth or two, from 660 to the 1320ft stripe...

It can add up. Just gotta get tire pressure close, & the tread warmed up to a temp thats 5°F to 15°F higher than the surface your driving on. Concrete is best, or better yet, a prepped track surface, followed by fresh clean asphalt.

Screenshot_20230913-052119_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
There is no direct path on the Bullitt grill. The honeycombs in the grill are solid in front of the air tube, unlike the open honeycombs in front of the condensor/radiator. You can drill the solid ones out with a 1/2" drill bit to allow flow. I did mine and it's barely noticeable.
It's not solid at all on the intake side and most certainly does have a pathway into the airbox.

Bullitt001.jpg

Bullitt003.jpg

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
You sir are correct! Been a while since I did it, but thought I remembered them being solid. That being said the holes are much smaller than those in front of the radiator as the pic shows. I only drilled out the ones directly in front of the intake opening.

grill pic.jpg

Sponsored

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
You sir are correct! Been a while since I did it, but thought I remembered them being solid. That being said the holes are much smaller than those in front of the radiator as the pic shows. I only drilled out the ones directly in front of the intake opening.

grill pic.jpg
any noticeable increase in power?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I knew I should have bought a dodge ... :giggle:

1694676036685.png

Joking aside, if a bow wave is going to get that high I think that would be the least of my concerns - these cars struggle to keep rainwater out, nevermind a water level close to the top of the wheels ...

And if a wave is genuinely that high and based on the intake path not being sealed, separated or protected from the main grill intake area, do you realistically think that partially blanked area will be enough to save the engine ... ?

1694675897858.png

Damn, if only I had upgraded to a Bullitt grill ... :frown:

WD :like:
Sponsored