Sponsored

Brake Pads on the Track

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
Hi -

Typically I've switched from street to track pads before tracking my cars. The one time I was lazy and didn't, led to terrible braking performance and it left major pad deposits on my rotors. (I thought I would just take it easy on the track ... yeah right!)

Anyway I haven't seen anything from Ford about this other than antidotal comments like the GT350/R being made to take to the track and just drive it. Does anyone know if the cars on the track tour had different brake pads than what will be coming initially with the cars?
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I would think it to be a little disingenuous if they didn't use OE pads for the track tour.

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's impressive with street pads. So I wonder how these would hold up under 30 min track sessions? True track pads will probably still be desirable, but it will be interesting to see. I wonder if it comes with proper high-temp brake fluid as well?

Sponsored

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
That's impressive with street pads. So I wonder how these would hold up under 30 min track sessions? True track pads will probably still be desirable, but it will be interesting to see. I wonder if it comes with proper high-temp brake fluid as well?
The Track Tour cars had OEM pads and fluid, which are plenty capable of track use. From what I've been told the OEM fluid is a DOT 4, and similar to something like the AP / Motul performance fluid.

Prior to the Sebring Track Tour, Ford brought some of the cars over to our track event on the Sebring FULL COURSE Sunday afternoon to shake the cars down prior to Monday's event, and one of our chief instructors went out with the Ford rep during our 1 hour session driving the Red GT350R, and were out for a good 45 minutes. Jim, the chief instructor, said there was no issue with overheating/brake fade after that 45 minute session.

Even on the Sebring short course where the Track Tour was run, which is notorious for killing brakes as there is hardly any time for cool down, the cars seemed to hold up well. When I got in the car to drive it the pedal was firm, and actually a bit firmer than I expected. No fade at all after my 3 hard laps, and the many laps that were run on the car right before I got in.

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's pretty impressive. I wonder what type of pad compound they are using that works well on the track but is quiet on the street? In my experience, those are typically mutually exclusive traits.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
The pads could be by Ferodo... and an exclusive compound chosen by Ford to license it OEM.

dcgolfdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT350 on order
Doesn't look like an easy pad swap unless I am missing that the top piece of the caliper can be moved.

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't look like an easy pad swap unless I am missing that the top piece of the caliper can be moved.
No Dave ... We will have to remove the caliper to get the pads out. I think all Brembo calipers are like this. But if we can run the OEM brake pads this becomes less of a pain at the track.

Sponsored

dcgolfdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT350 on order
My brembos on the GTR were not like that, 2 bolts and 2 pins.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
No Dave ... We will have to remove the caliper to get the pads out. I think all Brembo calipers are like this. But if we can run the OEM brake pads this becomes less of a pain at the track.
Brembo should have quick change calipers to fit. Probably some serious bread for them...$1850 each standard color. PRI show can't get here soon enough.

Last edited:

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
With that fixed piece over the top of the caliper, you'll have to lift the caliper off the rotor (still should only be two bolts going up vertically through the caliper).