Sponsored

Bottomed out on a speed bump today

MustangPhil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, Magnetic, Black pack, Auto
My baby's first wound occurred yesterday. Damn speed bump from hell. I swore I was going slow enough, but I cratered out, and it scared the hell out of me. Got home to assess the damage, and found a scrape on the undercarriage about 2" square.

http://imgur.com/lWXDGUX

Can I buy the OEM undercarriage paint or primer or whatever that is, from ford, and fix it myself, or am I going to have to have their body shop do it? Any ideas what a scrape like that will cost to fix? I am more worried about rust, than how it looks, but if I'm going to paint it anyway it might as well match perfect.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EddieGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2012 Challenger SRT8, 67 Fastback
I would consider touching it up in the future. Depending on the heighth of the speed bumps in your area, or simply not slowing down in time, if it happened once it WILL happen again.

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
It looks purely cosmetic, little spray undercoating may help.
Can't see any dent from your pic.
Look into getting a set of Steeda or BMR jacking rails, they come below the body just a bit and should take a hit before your baby does.
Not sure you come across these bumps daily or not.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I love my Steeda jacking rails. I'm lowered and at least scrape once a week. The rails take all the abuse !!

I was just under my car last week changing the tranny fluid. Only damage from scrapes was on the jacking rails.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I love my Steeda jacking rails. I'm lowered and at least scrape once a week. The rails take all the abuse !!

I was just under my car last week changing the tranny fluid. Only damage from scrapes was on the jacking rails.
No doubt, my poor Steeda rails got their first initiation scrape(s) from my local Firestone alignment rack.:eek:

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've scraped so many times... Lowered on coilovers and 19" 30 profile tires, oh yeah. Meh, it happens. Mine isn't a daily, so every time I take it out I need to remember to go over bumps at extreme angles.

BrianXIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
speed bumps tend to be too high. even when you go slow they do damage. I hate the nanny state

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know if you are looking at the Steeda Jacking Rails - happy to help with pricing ... they are one of our most popular items!

Shoot me a note at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
My in-laws used to live in a neighborhood with speed bumps so tall that I couldn't visit them in my old terminator. And it was just lowered on Eibach pro's. They ended up having them removed after several months because several of the neighbors started a petition against the HOA due to damage to their vehicles. This is no joke, they were 6" tall.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
My in-laws used to live in a neighborhood with speed bumps so tall that I couldn't visit them in my old terminator. And it was just lowered on Eibach pro's. They ended up having them removed after several months because several of the neighbors started a petition against the HOA due to damage to their vehicles. This is no joke, they were 6" tall.
Most area's now regulate the height of speed bumps, sounds like those may have been a little out of spec...lol.
Quite possible that someone actually found they wern't even legal and the HOA knew they didn't have a leg to stand on to fight the petition.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
When I go pick up my wife for lunch at her work she has to walk a few more feet because I refuse to pull up to the front door. The bumps are huge. One of the most idiotic things on the road. A simple gradual hump works just as well. Upsetting the suspension at all is enough to slow most people down.

MK5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Magnetic
How much drop are you guys putting in your cars? I'm about to install the Ford Performance street lowering springs which drop it about an inch. I'm hoping I won't run into the same clearance issues.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
That's definitely TOTALED!!!!!!:headbonk:

I had factory OEM blemishes that looked worse than that.
Sponsored