Battery tender question

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
What brand of tender are you guys using? I have a cheap one from HF and it only has the squeeze style clamps. If you have it hard wired what do you do when you want to use the car again? Do you just stash the charger under the hood and drive with it hooked up or do you totally disconnect it? I don't totally stop driving my car in the winter but it can sit for several weeks when the weather is bad so I still need to use the tender.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
What brand of tender are you guys using? I have a cheap one from HF and it only has the squeeze style clamps. If you have it hard wired what do you do when you want to use the car again? Do you just stash the charger under the hood and drive with it hooked up or do you totally disconnect it? I don't totally stop driving my car in the winter but it can sit for several weeks when the weather is bad so I still need to use the tender.

Most tenders come with a pigtail that you hard wire to battery and simply unplug from rest of harness so you can remove charger from engine bay leaving the pigtail still connected to battery.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I have 6 tenders on several cars and trucks
I have several HF brand ,Schumaker and and a few of the Battery Tender brands
they are all the same,other than the logo they do the same thing and the squeeze clamps are fine .
Only thing I like better about the bigger name brand is the green light telling you its charged however I always check w my
multi meter the voltage .

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
Great info here. Question, what is that big loop for on the negative terminal?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Great info here. Question, what is that big loop for on the negative terminal?
Big loop? BBB's photo show the negative cable removed from the battery post. The cable itself is bolted to the end of the post clamp.

Sponsored

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Big loop? BBB's photo show the negative cable removed from the battery post. The cable itself is bolted to the end of the post clamp.

Never mind lol. Yeah I was confused. Just checked under my hood and realized he was disconnected. Thanks bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I just plug mine in,..........and no worries. So easy. :thumbsup:
Maintains battery life with no worries of overcharging or undercharging. Awesome unit.

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Does it matter if the charger is 750mAh vs 1.25 amp? What's the recommended amp for our battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Does it matter if the charger is 750mAh vs 1.25 amp? What's the recommended amp for our battery?
Doubt it matters. The 1.25 mAH charger will bring the battery up a quicker if it was discharged, but once at full charge they should both keep it at full charge if they are "smart chargers".

OP
OP
BBB

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
...this is the way I did it.
can someone confirm if the top wire to the fuse box is a positive? I looked last night and all 3 wires leading to the bolts were red in color so i'm a bit confused

Sponsored

Mustm26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
All three are positive and read 12+ volts and are hot with the ignition off with a meter I connected to a ground bolt.

OP
OP
BBB

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
All three are positive and read 12+ volts and are hot with the ignition off with a meter I connected to a ground bolt.
Cool, gonna get it changed today from my connection to the clamps.

Slyfox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver 2015 mustang
When you hook it to the fuse box terminal do you lose power to the car when taking off the bolt (like radio setting ,computer ,ect)
Thanks

Mustm26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I did not lose power but I made sure with a screwdriver in one hand the wires already on the terminal continued to make contact with the base after I removed the nut before I attached the charger wire.

S550GTDan

21 I had a midlife crisis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / Performance Package
What about the kind that charge through a 12v outlet in the car? I was thinking of getting one of those so I don't have to touch the battery.
Sponsored