Sponsored

Automatic braking.....wth?

1966 Sunbeam Tiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Aston Martin Vantage
On a long drive last week, I noticed that the adaptive CC will actually apply the brakes if you come up on a car too fast or one cuts in front of you while the ACC is on. I verified this in the manual.

Collision Warning System - does NOT apply brakes ever. WTH? Using the same radar and sensors as the ACC but is not a capability in collision avoidance. Ford, you really suck here.
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
My collision warning system does indeed apply the brakes. You can adjust the sensitivity in your setting in the center stack.

I love the ACC and how it works on long trips. I don't think Ford sucks...Their stuff works like advertised.

OP
OP
1966 Sunbeam Tiger

1966 Sunbeam Tiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My collision warning system does indeed apply the brakes.
Not according to the manual?

PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION WARNINGS

This system is designed to be a
supplementary driving aid. It is not
intended to replace the driver’s
attention, and judgment, or the need to
apply the brakes. This system does NOT

activate the brakes automatically. Failure
to press the brake pedal to activate the
brakes may result in a collision.

The brake support system assists the driver
in reducing the collision speed by charging
the brakes. If the risk of collision further
increases after the warning light
illuminates, the brake support prepares
the brake system for rapid braking. This
may be apparent to the driver. The system
does not automatically activate the brakes
but, if the brake pedal is pressed, full force
braking is applied even if the brake pedal

is lightly pressed.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Not according to the manual?

PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION WARNINGS

This system is designed to be a
supplementary driving aid. It is not
intended to replace the driver’s
attention, and judgment, or the need to
apply the brakes. This system does NOT

activate the brakes automatically. Failure
to press the brake pedal to activate the
brakes may result in a collision.

The brake support system assists the driver
in reducing the collision speed by charging
the brakes. If the risk of collision further
increases after the warning light
illuminates, the brake support prepares
the brake system for rapid braking. This
may be apparent to the driver. The system
does not automatically activate the brakes
but, if the brake pedal is pressed, full force
braking is applied even if the brake pedal

is lightly pressed.
hmmm...Maybe I had my foot on the brake already and it began applying more pedal pressure. I will have to confirm this next the system is activated.

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
We have that adaptive cruise / collision warning in our Explorer and if you don't hit the brakes it will definitely not hit the brakes for you. (Provided you are not using cruise control) But if you touch the brake pedal at all, it slams on the brakes. Only needed the system once, but it definitely paid for itself that one time.

It looks like this system is changing in newer Fords. The NHTSA or IIHS or whoever, is rating these systems now and they give more points if the car hits the brakes for you. I think the 2017 Fusion has the new system. The adaptive cruise in that car will also slow the car to a complete stop and continue on once traffic starts moving again.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I believe that the information that came out about the collision warning is that it pre-charges the brakes so that it does not have to build up hydraulic pressure, something like that. It is just a warning system, actually applying the brakes is a more advanced system. Hence the "collision warning" it does not say "collision avoidance". Personally, I would rather do the braking myself else I will become too complacent and stop paying so much attention to the road.

OP
OP
1966 Sunbeam Tiger

1966 Sunbeam Tiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My point is that the ACC WILL apply the brakes without driver action. But, the CWS will not. Both systems share the radar and sensors....why did Ford not engineer the CWS to also apply the brakes like the ACC does?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My point is that the ACC WILL apply the brakes without driver action. But, the CWS will not. Both systems share the radar and sensors....why did Ford not engineer the CWS to also apply the brakes like the ACC does?
I mean mine does not have it but is it always on when you start the car?
It can be annoying in traffic when it brakes too early or trying to park.

Darkhamr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible

Maybe it's a liability thing if they market it as avoiding crashes and it slides into the car in front anyway?

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I have ACC and also wondered why they don't have the Collision Warning system also apply brakes automatically. At least make it an option if you want to enable it. Like you said it works great already with ACC on so why not.

Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
This is the way it works, even when Mercedes Benz came out with it in 1999. Braking with CC active.

Mercedes Benz now has Collision Prevention Assist Plus for cars without Active Cruise Control:
An optical warning is given if the distance to the vehicle ahead falls below the safe distance at speeds between 30 and 250 km/h; the optical and acoustic warning is given if there is a danger of collision at speeds over 7 km/h. Adaptive Brake Assist is active at speeds between 7 and 250 km/h for moving objects and between 7 and approx. 70 km/h for stationary obstacles. Autonomous partial braking is also available for moving objects at speeds below 105 km/h, and in conjunction with DISTRONIC PLUS up to 200 km/h.

Distronic Plus is the new ACC with Steering Assist vs just Collision Prevention Assist Plus, which is standard equipment.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
ACC usually has a max speed difference it will apply brakes at, any bigger difference and it will fail and hit the car in front of you.

Crash avoidance systems are more advanced compared to ACC and might require better sensors, different validations and different software. Which means it would become much more expensive.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
I am greatly thankful that the CWS does NOT add the brakes - there have been many a situation where that action by the car would have gotten me in a worse accident - I wish I could actually turn the damn beeping off - its a distraction.

Relying on a nanny warning is a poor alternative to paying attention while driving.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Dealer talked me out of that option when I ordered my car.

Think I understand why, too much confusion.