Sponsored

Anyone wish they'd gone with an R instead?

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've had my GT350 for about a month.. when I saw the comparisons to the R prior to delivery I didn't necessarily regret my purchase, but I did wish I could have an R.

After a month now I have no regrets. I use mine 2-3 days a week, and I couldn't imagine how my mind would race over the carbon fiber wheels being scratched or stolen. The conveniences you lose in a base R would be annoying, and I live nowhere near a track to take advantage of the performance.

Even the wheels on the GT350 I love, it blends well with the wider look. (Maybe I need to see an R in person) If theres an update in a few years I may move to an R, but for now I absolutely adore my GT350 as it is.
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Of course.. But only if it was available at msrp. I sure as hell don't think it's worth more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I've had my GT350 for about a month.. when I saw the comparisons to the R prior to delivery I didn't necessarily regret my purchase, but I did wish I could have an R.

After a month now I have no regrets. I use mine 2-3 days a week, and I couldn't imagine how my mind would race over the carbon fiber wheels being scratched or stolen. The conveniences you lose in a base R would be annoying, and I live nowhere near a track to take advantage of the performance.

Even the wheels on the GT350 I love, it blends well with the wider look. (Maybe I need to see an R in person) If theres an update in a few years I may move to an R, but for now I absolutely adore my GT350 as it is.
I much prefer the non-R GT350 that why I ordered one. Backseats, cleaner lines (especiallly in the traditional white with blue stripes), and most importantly no worry about those carbon fiber wheels made of diamonds just waiting to be ripped off - when I first heard the price of each wheel last summer I wanted nothing to do with the R. It was bad enough with the Laguna Seca at $1,200 per wheel. I'm after a Flat Plane Crank V8, MagneRide, 6 speed, Recaro race seats etc, Michelin PSS tires - cup tires have me running too - did the R compounds - 7,000 miles of fun and then 2grand to replace.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Given the choice ... Yes, of course! But, I was not given the choice.
Really?? I can't imagine buying a car that was my "2nd choice".

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Really?? I can't imagine buying a car that was my "2nd choice".
I'm assuming he means financially? I mean there is such a big price difference between the R and non-R that it's just not as simple as saying "which would you prefer". Not even bringing up the insane dealer markups on the super limited R version.

Hell, my GT was my "2nd Choice" to a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta but that Ferrari was a little out of my reach! :)

blondie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang V6
well i am sure we all have several cars we like but finding mine at msrp thanks through a member on here, for me, made it the ideal choice. i think the R would be wasted on me, I don't intend to track more than a couple times a year, the non R is more than enough for me.

- via Tapatalk App

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Most GT350 purchasers didn't have the option of a R model. So, I believe it's hard to have that regret.

Do they wish they had the option? Certainly.

Better question is... Any R owners wish they got a GT350 for one reason or another?

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Hard thread to answer. Depends on if the buyer bought the car for practicality...or couldn't afford an R or couldn't find an R...or.. There are a lot of reasons someone might have ended up with a non-r vs an R.

Maybe this?

If you could buy an R for the same markup (if any) that you paid for your non-r, would you?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Most GT350 purchasers didn't have the option of a R model. So, I believe it's hard to have that regret.

Do they wish they had the option? Certainly.

Better question is... Any R owners wish they got a GT350 for one reason or another?

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP

Said pretty much the same thing. I ordered an R and I have one regret...I don't have it yet. I have one concern...I will be a little more nervous driving and parking the R compared to a non-r.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
If you could buy an R for the same markup (if any) that you paid for your non-r, would you?
In a heartbeat. But that's an impossibility, so better to have something than nothing.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
I have a base R on order. I understand the position of the OP. In my case, I ordered the base R (probably making my delivery date later due to unique parts) specifically because it will live at a track. I will drive on the street only to break in. Its all really about your intended use.

I am a GM guy, by history, but ordered the base R because it was a track car WITHOUT all the boulevard cruiser crap (radio, AC, nav, sync, etc) which is only dead weight on a track. GM does not offer a similar Corvette, or I would own it. Z06 adds all the track goodies ON TOP of all the other stuff. Thats why its 3500 pounds. :doh: Numerous comments here re the CF wheels. Am also concerned re theft, at least in first couple years.

I had the (presumably blasphemous) thought of immediately taking off the CF wheels and Cup 2 tires and selling them. :crazy: How much could one get for brand new CF wheels/C2 tires? Dont know the answer, but its gotta be close to the price delta between a 350 and the R. Anyone ponder that? :cool:

OP
OP

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yeah the question may not be worded as well as it could be but.. I personally believe if the R meant that much to me I would've waited a year to put myself in a better position to get one. (whether that depended on me or the market)

I went with a Track Pack GT350 but my price range was higher if need be, so the R was an option but it didn't make sense for me. I love seeing pictures of the R's and I'm certain I'll be in awe when I see one in person (I wish we had the resonator delete) but I'm in awe when I see a GT350 period. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I own one because I'm just as much a fan as I am an owner.

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
The markup on the R is probably the biggest reason why

You also have to consider that the R can't be your daily, especially during winter and summer.

I live in southern cali, weather is great year-round, but I couldn't survive without AC during summer.

Both are a thing of beauty!
Sponsored