Anyone Solve Spare Tire Issue for PP GT's

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I bought the spare tire kit for the regular non-PP stang on ebay for $200 along with a 1/4" spacer. If I ever get a flat on the front I will need to move the back tire to the front with the spacer and put the spare in the back. Not ideal but better than being stranded for hours and will get me to the tire shop or home.
Sponsored

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
Curious as to what anyone who has factory 20’s are doing about a spare.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Curious as to what anyone who has factory 20’s are doing about a spare.
If you have factory 20s, which means you likely have the stock GT brakes (unless you upgraded them). You can buy a normal mustang spare, and it'll fit fine.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking kit!

How many lbs is your jack rated for??
3 tons. I actually got this one at Autozone and have not seen another one sense. you can get them off ebay. get a 2 ton min.

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

KENS550TX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 350 / '22 Bronco
I bought the spare tire kit for the regular non-PP stang on ebay for $200 along with a 1/4" spacer. If I ever get a flat on the front I will need to move the back tire to the front with the spacer and put the spare in the back. Not ideal but better than being stranded for hours and will get me to the tire shop or home.

KENS550TX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 350 / '22 Bronco
This is the best way to go in my opinion. Even if you don't have the spacer it will work. It will slightly rub if you turn your wheels all the way in either direction.

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
I plunked down the cash for the automotive authority spare as well and don't regret it. It's a quality (if not inexpensive) piece and for me it dropped into the spare tire well with no issues. I even put a couple of pieces of felt padding in under it to prevent any squeaking or rubbing. Add in the jack underneath, a pair of cheap work gloves and a large garbage back to hold the filthy flat tire and I'm good to go. It all fits flat underneath the trunk floor and yes, I hope that I never see it again either!

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
I put a full size in the Trunk
Me too. Bought a replica PP rim and tire from American Muscle. Sits in the spare tire well, but won't go all the way down. I have the trunk floor out of the car. Wish I knew about the spare mentioned in this thread before I bought my full size.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Not according to Ford. Vehicle Notes: Not Available for vehicles originally equipped with summer tires or 20 Inch Wheels.

https://accessories.ford.com/spare-tire-kit-v6.html
Trust me, the only obstacle is brake caliper clearance.

There's also worries about tire diameter differences with the Torsen diff (only on PP models). The factory spare's diameter is ~25 inches, whereas the stock PP rear wheels are 27.5" (iirc). Most stock mustang wheels are in the 27" range.
I also recall saying that Torsen said it's not a huge deal, so long you're using a spare as a spare... low speed, low mileage driving to a tire shop.

The Summer tire thing may be a liability thing ford wants to avoid.

Why the 20 inch optioned cars don't have a spare? I dunno. I do know those models come equipped with a little more bracing (K-frame brace). Not 100% sure why they did that either.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
It appears the 20" option includes limited slip diff, if it is a clutch pack type they do not last long with different diameter tires.

Why the 20 inch optioned cars don't have a spare? I dunno. I do know those models come equipped with a little more bracing (K-frame brace). Not 100% sure why they did that either.

Mr. Brutus

Mr. Brutus
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brutus
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby
I did the AA spare as well. It is a high quality piece. It was originally shipped with a non-OEM jack (in fact a $10 harbor Freight jack). I complained, and they refunded the $100 difference and told me to keep the jack. He was very apologetic and explained that the OEM jack was backordered and he couldn't find any. I went to a local dealer and picked one up. It stows nicely and has enough of a lever arm on the folding wrench to break the 120 ft-lbs. of torque on your lugs (although I still pack a breaker bar too). It all fits clean and flush out of sight (and as others have commented, I hope it stays there).

tukn20s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
Looking for information on how others solved the PP1 GT's spare tire issue? What type of spare did you get?
i got this one online. its made especially for the PP GT. it came with the jack too.

20180202_180042_zps1b4skmh2.jpg

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I even put a couple of pieces of felt padding in under it to prevent any squeaking or rubbing.
I did the same thing. Keeps the jack from scratching the wheel well.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Ordered mine today (still won't have the car for a month) as they're currently offering free shipping. Now, it may stay free forever, but I was going to get one for the car at some point anyway, and if the free shipping goes away later, I locked that saving in.
Sponsored