Sponsored

Adjustable shocks - Steeda vs Koni opinions?

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I've decided to go with adjustable shocks. Modified EcoBoost with full bolt ons that is a daily driver that sees 4 or so intermediate HPDE excursions per year. Seeking advice comparing Koni yellows vs Steeda adjustables. I note that currently I can get the Konis for about $170 less per set than the Steedas - are the Steedas worth the extra cost?
Sponsored

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
I've decided to go with adjustable shocks. Modified EcoBoost with full bolt ons that is a daily driver that sees 4 or so intermediate HPDE excursions per year. Seeking advice comparing Koni yellows vs Steeda adjustables. I note that currently I can get the Konis for about $170 less per set than the Steedas - are the Steedas worth the extra cost?
From my understanding the Streeda’s are made by Koni. I have the Steeda’s, but I have read many threads where members have said this.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Call Steeda and confirm the warranty on their adjustable shocks. I have personally tore mounting tabs off the Konis causing degas/oil leak and warranty was fast and painless. I have since reenforced the replacements with a thick piece of steel:
IMG_9055.JPG

Footnote: Bilesteins are considered the bomb-proof alternative. Knowing everything I know now, I would go with that. Swaybars, tire pressure, and alignment are a much better tuning tools than Koni knobs.

Struts Bending.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Konis, and stash the money saved away. For when one eventually fails down the road. Neither are bad (for stock spring rates). I’m partial to konis because you can get them from lots of vendors.

Wish i had some better adjustable options for ya.

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Thanks for the replies. I am upgrading several suspension parts (per my other thread) and decided on adjustables to keep the Mrs happier riding smoother in town while still being able to dampen more for my track usage. The only thing I don't like about the Konis are they are YELLOW!!! but I guess that won't show much under the car LOL. And thanks @Dana Pants for the info regarding weak mounting; I will do the same when I mount mine.

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I worry your expectations for Koni adjustments are unrealistic. Increasing rear rebound makes the car likely to spin due to road irregularities and rough inputs. Increasing front rebound makes the car a bit more stable with rough asphalt or rough inputs. Anyone who claims more is lying. My rear is always full soft and front somewhere in the middle.

edit: several cars with electronic shocks actually produce worse performance on the stiff/performance settings…

Last edited:

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
At that price point go with bilstein monotubes and you won’t have to crawl around your car to adjust anything

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
riding smoother in town while still being able to dampen more for my track usage.
you misunderstand damping as it relates to these models and 'comfort' in particular.
The ONLY answer that is a good one and doesn't break the bank is Ohlins.

if you under-damp for the street you don't get a softer ride, you just get wallow and sea sick if taken to the extreme. On the track if you crank in the damping you get a nasty, harsh ride, loss of traction and even faster sea sick.

You adjust damping to match the *springs*. Aim for 1.5-2 cycles.
Sponsored