Sponsored

Add on a strut tower brace to a non PP 2018 gt?

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
was wondering if it worth buying a strut tower brace for my 2018 Non PP GT? will i notice any difference at all?
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
was wondering if it worth buying a strut tower brace for my 2018 Non PP GT? will i notice any difference at all?
If you're just DDing it, and not doing any crazy ass shit on the street, then no. If you're tracking it, you might, if you know what you are looking for and feeling, but there's bigger issues to address than that.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
I did it on my '16 GT and noticed a big difference on the street. It was pretty crazy as I would get scared taking my GT over 140 km/h as it got floaty and unwieldy at anything above that. Which made absolutely no sense since I'd take my Tiburon above 200 constantly. It definitely firmed up the front end a bit and stopped it's tendency to float at higher speeds.

Get the whole sh-bang though; the strut brace, the k-brace and the lower brace as well. Adding the lower brace and pan will make oil changes easier, too.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I added a Cowl extension + strut tower brace. It made turning so much better and felt less roll. 20 inch wheee should already come with cowl extension brace though so not sure how much that would improve for you

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I put the brace on cause I liked the look. I don't really push my car a lot like some here but I did notice it didn't lean as much or feel as loose on those thruway exit wide ramp turns where you doing 55mph and your taking a hard left or right, if that makes sense.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and definitely worth doing. Make sure you get the K-brace too otherwise you don't triangulate it all. The Ford Racing kit is excellent.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I would get scared taking my GT over 140 km/h as it got floaty and unwieldy at anything above that. It definitely firmed up the front end a bit and stopped it's tendency to float at higher speeds.
Seriously?? WTF?

Someone please explain to me how a strut tower brace is gonna keep the front end of the car from "floating" at high speed.

The placebo effect is strong with this one...

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
Seriously?? WTF?

Someone please explain to me how a strut tower brace is gonna keep the front end of the car from "floating" at high speed.

lol...Thought that was pretty funny too. Hopefully OP is not expecting the same results.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
I did the cowl and strut brace on my daily and noticed a difference. Feels like the same reason I didn't like the performance pack in the first place. Normal steering mode feels heavier. I plan on keeping it though.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Does the 2018 non PP or 20" wheel have the metal cowl now standard? or it is still the plastic cowl extension, some pictures make it look metal

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I had a 15 Ecoboost Mustang with the Performance Package and now have a 17 with the Performance Package. Both of these cars came with the cowl brace but not the strut brace.

I add the strut brace to both cars because I like the look but wasn't expecting any performance improvement because I don't drink e the car hard enough.

Surprisingly the front end of of both cars feels much more composed over broken pavement (which we have a lot of). All in all it's a win win, looks better and improved the handling.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously?? WTF?

The front end has a lot of flex forward of the firewall without both the strut tower and cowl-to-strut tower K-brace. There is immediately noticeable change in how the car responds and reacts in cornering. What the person you are replying to probably felt is improved response and feeling of a solidity at all speeds. The two pieces definitely do those things.

The added weight and cost wouldn't be on the PP cars if they didn't have a measurable and significant improvement to the car. Even the 20" wheel cars have the K-brace so that the suspension can better deal with the increase in unsprung mass over any of the 18" or non-PP 19" wheels.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I recommend test driving a 2018 GT PP with normal (i.e. not MagneRide) shocks and see if you really notice a difference. If you do, then realize that if your car has oem all season (aka "no season") tires much of the feel difference is from the tires. Then consider changing to summer tires. Another big part of any difference in "feel" will be any remaining difference in the suspension between the normal and PP. Additonal chassis stiffening with a car like the S550 really doesn't make a difference until you first upgrade the tires and the springs/bars/bushings.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
If I were to do this on my non PP '18, what braces are lacking that I need to add? Are there 2 or 3 braces? Anyone have part #'s or pics?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
If I were to do this on my non PP '18, what braces are lacking that I need to add? Are there 2 or 3 braces? Anyone have part #'s or pics?
Two braces, the cowl(triangle shape) and then strut tower. Cowl is included if you have 20 inch wheels.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-performance-strut-tower-brace-1517-gt-ecoboost.html
https://lmr.com/item/M20201M/2015-Mustang-Ford-Racing-Strut-Tower-Brace-GT?

The official instructions says to take off the windshield wipers but you don’t have to, just remove the pushpin and you’ll have enough room to squeeze your ratchet or wrench in there. 15 minute install with ratcheting wrench. I didn’t have those on hand at the time and it took me 1 hr lmao

You can reuse the stock nuts if you want. Also, you can buy other branded ones or the gt350R Variant which is made of aluminum for the strut tower brace which saves 2.5 lb
Sponsored