Sponsored

About to get a GT or SS

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Looking for some reasonable input and discussion. Hope I'm posting in the correct section. :)

So this week I intend to purchase a new Mustang GT or a Camaro SS. I could be biased since I grew up in a GM family (but not LOYAL and far, far from a FANBOY). Drove a 01 Z28 M6 for a decade, had a '10 Camaro SS M6 for a few years, then got rid of it and bought an economy car since I began to commute about 70-120 miles/day. The Camaro was fun but the visibility was my one gripe. I was at fault for an accident when changing lanes on the highway. Some guy was coming up behind me going 80+ and then jumped into the lane to the right of me just as I was changing lanes, and his left front bumper tapped my left rear bumper.

I'm tired of not having a fast car and after closely following the 2016 Camaro SS and Mustang GT, I might just flip a coin to determine which one I go with. I was set on the Camaro for the most part, but now I'm really considering the Mustang.....and yea, mostly because of VISIBILITY. :eek:

Mustang pros

Mustang cons

Camaro pros

Camaro cons

Hancock
Based on your post I think you should probably buy the Camaro. Probably doing a coin flip and seeing if you're happy with the results will help solidify your thoughts.

I haven't driven the new Camaro yet. I would like to, but I feel I would be taking advantage of the dealer. I'm not really interested in switching cars at the moment. Maybe I will go in and tell them I'm interested in the ZL1 (not a lie - I do find it interesting).

I really like the new Sync on my Ford. I think the Coyote is a much better engine than the Chevy offering because of the way it revs out and makes power on the top end. The Coyote also really wakes up with gears, IMO - but it needs more tire. Even the PP cars don't have nearly enough tire. In the past when I drove both I liked the shifter in the Ford a lot better. The new MT-82 shifts great IMO. Neither has a great radio, but the Ford radio was always better IMO. Visibility never bothered me horribly, but it was mostly the feel of driving the Ford that I liked better. The Camaro active exhaust is the thing that almost made me buy a Camaro even with all the negatives. IMO if money is no object and you buy the Ford add aftermarket active exhaust onto it.

Another option since you are looking at spending money and price doesn't matter that much is the 2017 GT350. Especially if you won't be driving the car a lot the GT350 will hold its value better than either the SS or GT. I can tell you I absolutely love my 2016. It really feels like a special car and I get happy every time I go for a drive in it.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
2016 Mustang GT Leg Room: 44.5

2016 Camaro SS Leg Room 42.6

I'm 6'6" 215 lbs and mostly legs so the Mustang wins. Plus I can see out of the Mustang so it wins again. Also, the Coyote uses PI so it's easier to tune and use forced induction so it wins yet again. Have fun with that on the Camaro with high compression and DI. Kaboom! I also love the way the Coyote sounds with exhaust over the LT1. Don't get me wrong, they both sound really good, but the 5.0 just sounds better.

I've been a Camaro fan for most of my life, but I just can't bring myself to love it this time.

luke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Two very different cars; if you want a fast, comfortable Grand Touring car, get the Mustang; but if you need a hot rod street racer go for the Super Sport.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Feminine..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
drive by posting by OP who is yet to respond. Nice troll

Sponsored

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
I am still in the market myself and considered the Camaro.

My opinion is that the Camaro has better options (HUD, mag ride, active exhaust, digital spedo) if you want to spend the money and low/mid power band performance than the Mustang.

With that being said the reason I decided to go with the Mustang is that it looks better and I cannot stand feeling like I am in a tank. I have a couple friends that had a Camaro and I would cringe every time I got in it.

If I bought a Camaro I would need therapy due to panic attacks brought on by claustrophobia so in the long run the Camaro would wind up costing me too much to own.

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I am still in the market myself and considered the Camaro.

My opinion is that the Camaro has better options (HUD, mag ride, active exhaust, digital spedo) if you want to spend the money and low/mid power band performance than the Mustang.

With that being said the reason I decided to go with the Mustang is that it looks better and I cannot stand feeling like I am in a tank. I have a couple friends that had a Camaro and I would cringe every time I got in it.

If I bought a Camaro I would need therapy due to panic attacks brought on by claustrophobia so in the long run the Camaro would wind up costing me too much to own.
Sitting in the Camaro I did not feel conected to the car like I did with the Mustang. Sat in one again this weekend, nothing.

Kinda like that first date that you know will not lead to another.
Sat in the Mustang and wanted to alope.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd

Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Sitting in the Camaro I did not feel conected to the car like I did with the Mustang. Sat in one again this weekend, nothing.

Kinda like that first date that you know will not lead to another.
Sat in the Mustang and wanted to alope.
I personally felt that disconnect as well. I also really enjoy the symmetry of the double brow in the Mustang, much more aesthetically pleasing.

I will say though, I did sit in the C7 coupe as well...that is more of my cup of tea than the Mustang haha. Some day... :shrug:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
drive by posting by OP who is yet to respond. Nice troll
Well he did say he was going to post a thread over on the Camaro forum. Like every other Camaro6 member he's probably hoping we'll all lose our minds from his post so he can report back. Must be disappointed so far with the responses.

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Description of Your Car(s)
If your budget can allow, look for a 2017 gt350 for as close to msrp as possible. You'd get pretty much everything you want.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
Looks like the OP was legit to me and may have ran after some of the responses.

I have owned my GTPP vert for 3 months and can add a few more cons for the GT
1) Garbage gearbox that grinds like it needs a doubleshift (until hot)
2) Poor exterior workmanship -mine looks some 4 graders had a hammer party with it
3) Leather wears down way too fast
4) Ford

More Pros:
1) He mentioned PP, improved brakes, suspension, gauges, radiator, wheels
2) Mustang with PP best bang for the buck

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I'll be posting this exact message on the Camaro site if they ever let me join. I tried to join a while back and their administrator never approved my registration. :rolleyes::thumbdown:

Hancock
Well I guess this decides it for you. Welcome to the club. :cheers:

As for visibility, see this AutoGuide article:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/02/why-is-the-chevrolet-camaro-so-hard-to-see-out-of-.html

With the Chevy, Oppenheiser said participants voiced their concerns about the bad visibility. “They got to the Camaro and [we] said ‘What would you tell Chevrolet about the Camaro if you could redesign it, if you helped give input to the next one?’ And they said ‘Well, I can’t see out of it.’ ”

This is valid, if obvious feedback. However, according to Oppenheiser, customers didn’t want to sacrifice any of the Camaro’s signature design for better sightlines. When asked about this tradeoff he said, “They all went, ‘Don’t change it! We love the styling, that’s why we bought it!’” Drivers adore the way this car looks, even if it’s not necessarily easy to live with.​

Exterior appearance: It has to look good to you, even while parked.
Interior design: You have to like it, because this is where you spend your time, whether driving on the track, on vacation, or stuck in traffic.
Sponsored