LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
[m
Yeah, if it saved you the cam chains and timing I can see the shortcut but if you ever blow a head gasket you'll be so pissed thinking about it while you pull the headers.
So if you were in my situation you’d unbolt the headers, pull the heads, and replace the head gaskets?
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
[m

So if you were in my situation you’d unbolt the headers, pull the heads, and replace the head gaskets?
I would. I know the feeling all to well. If it makes you feel better, the springs are much easier with the head off to so there is a savings to be had to the cost too.

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
I would. I know the feeling all to well. If it makes you feel better, the springs are much easier with the head off to so there is a savings to be had to the cost too.
What head gasket should I go with if I do decide to pull them?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'm not advocating this method so FYI only.
The old trick for changing valve springs without pulling the heads was to use an adapter and an air compressor and pressurize each cylinder one at a time using the sparkplug hole.
I've seen it done but never done it myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
I'm not advocating this method so FYI only.
The old trick for changing valve springs without pulling the heads was to use an adapter and an air compressor and pressurize each cylinder one at a time using the sparkplug hole.
I've seen it done but never done it myself.
I was going to do this tbh, still deciding

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Stock head gasket is good for over 1000 wheel.…and with your new studs it will be fine.

im doing my heads at the moment , new valve stem seals and also while I was there I’m lapping the valves. Bit of carbon build up on the exhaust side , and some where not sealing 100%.

you will need a coyote valve spring tool.. I got mine from aliexpess for 1/4 of the price else where and delivered in 4 days to Oz.
its time consuming enough to do it at perfect bench hight….. I think doing it in the car would be a huge pain in the arse. but I seen video’s of shops like Aldowelds it in the car On low mileage stuff.

yours @60,000 miles it might be worth taking them off and giving them a once over and clean up while your there. at least then you know it’s all fresh.

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
Stock head gasket is good for over 1000 wheel.…and with your new studs it will be fine.

im doing my heads at the moment , new valve stem seals and also while I was there I’m lapping the valves. Bit of carbon build up on the exhaust side , and some where not sealing 100%.

you will need a coyote valve spring tool.. I got mine from aliexpess for 1/4 of the price else where and delivered in 4 days to Oz.
its time consuming enough to do it at perfect bench hight….. I think doing it in the car would be a huge pain in the arse. but I seen video’s of shops like Aldowelds it in the car On low mileage stuff.

yours @60,000 miles it might be worth taking them off and giving them a once over and clean up while your there. at least then you know it’s all fresh.
I got the euro expert coyote tool. How much would a head refresh be? Cleaning and lapping, no spring install or anything

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
No idea man Unfortunately. I’m in australia.
it normally expensive, due to the fact they have to remove the heads. Taking the heads to them will save a bunch.

the problems I see… I the shop would want to do the lot. You have to put the valves back into the same position.
so id guess they would want the heads assembled ( without cams) then they could work there magic on them and make everything right.

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
No idea man Unfortunately. I’m in australia.
it normally expensive, due to the fact they have to remove the heads. Taking the heads to them will save a bunch.

the problems I see… I the shop would want to do the lot. You have to put the valves back into the same position.
so id guess they would want the heads assembled ( without cams) then they could work there magic on them and make everything right.
Yeah heads are already disassembled beside valves and springs. I’d be bringing them just the heads 👍

Sponsored
OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
Headers are out, the ARH gaskets left a lot of material behind. Probably going to order oem metal gaskets.
IMG_8659.jpeg

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
Got the heads tonight.

Looks like very minimal room to get the studs in there when I go to put it back together.

Should I put all the studs in the block before I put the heads back on or just a couple to help align with the dowels?
IMG_8676.jpeg
Sponsored