Sponsored

A10 not perfect anymore, what to tell the mechanics?

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
My car is turning 5 soon and due for a checkup. I asked them to look at the transmission as well, get weird issues from time to time. Nothing major but not how it felt out of the box.

- Lower speeds I notice it way more when it shifts from one gear to the next
- Very low speeds it can be hesitant shifting from 1->3
- When slowing down and downshifting you get a harsh clunck in the transmission

For w/e reason this only happens in drive and not all the time, most of the times it's smooth sailing. In sport when transmission is at operating temperature there are basically no issues. Really smooth shifting (might also be masked a bit by the difference in throttle response). But when you are pushing up shifts are hardly noticed and quick and while slowing down with downshifts it never gives you this harsh clunck.

I always wait for peak operating temp of the trans before even pushing it or shifting into sport.

Anyone got some tips I might ask the mechanics to have a look at? So far got the following from reading up on the forum
- Have them reset the adaptive learning
- Check oil level
Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Check out the 10r80 TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins).

You can find some here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/

A TSB is a notice from Ford to the dealership and customer about problems, how to diagnose them, and how to repair them. There are a lot for the 10r80 regarding shifting and other issues.

I would try to find a TSB that fits your issues. Then describe your issues as it states or tell the dealer this is the issue you think you have and here is the TSB. You want the dealer to know to look for the specific TSB as it will help them diagnose and repair the issue. A TSB should also be covered under warranty.

OP
OP
Double

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Cheers i'll have a look through those.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Have them reset the adaptive learning
You can easily do that yourself and does usually resolve alot of those problems you mentioned. If it was low on oil, it would do it all the time not intermittently so it's a good start.

Also unless you take it to Ford, a random mechanic is not going to be able to diagnose much with the unit especially if they are not taking it apart. Even then, a Ford tech will probably say it's not an issue and it's normal characteristics.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My car also recently turned 5. I remember when I bought it new, I noticed how clunky the A10 was with some shifts and I thought "NBD, it's brand new, Ford will have a software update to iron out the bugs any day now."

Still waiting...