Sponsored

A/C Button / Start Button proximity

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I have a base GT... the start button is right next to the air conditioning button and every time I am driving and go to press the power button for the AC, I hesitate for a moment to make sure I am not pressing the start button for the engine. Seems like a pretty bad design, got me wondering what would happen if you accidentally pressed the start/stop button while moving... anyone ever do this? I honestly don't want to test it. I'd hope there is a safety setting that doesn't allow you to do this. I also understand that you can just rotate the nob to start the A/C... trying to get in the habit of doing this.

On a different note, I did test this morning pulling up the reverse boot on the shifter while in third gear (stopped) to see what would happen... nothing does, keeps it in the correct forward gear.
Sponsored

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I actually thought the AC power button was separate from the knob, which kind of irritates me. The dash/steering wheel on the S550 are already way too cluttered.

I've never had this problem.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I actually thought the AC power button was separate from the knob, which kind of irritates me. The dash/steering wheel on the S550 are already way too cluttered.

I've never had this problem.
Let me clarify, there is a separate AC button, but I was actually talking about the power button for the entire "air" system.

Sponsored

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
nothing happens

even my 2014 f150 knows that the truck is running if i turn the key whiles its running. i do this a lot.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI

On a different note, I did test this morning pulling up the reverse boot on the shifter while in third gear (stopped) to see what would happen... nothing does, keeps it in the correct forward gear.
Confused on why you thought this would do anything at all...?

You can lift up on that thing all day long no matter what while you're driving and nothing will happen unless you actually move the stick over to reverse while pulling up.

It's an extremely simple mechanism, that just physically lifts a sleeve under the boot to allow it to go over a lip that normally blocks you from going to reverse.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Confused on why you thought this would do anything at all...?

You can lift up on that thing all day long no matter what while you're driving and nothing will happen unless you actually move the stick over to reverse while pulling up.

It's an extremely simple mechanism, that just physically lifts a sleeve under the boot to allow it to go over a lip that normally blocks you from going to reverse.
Confused why I thought a normal of the function of the car might also work at a time it is not supposed to? Oh right... we live in a world where everyone designs things perfectly and there are no stupid design flaws./sarcasm

Of course I expected it to not do anything, however in all my previous Mustangs, reverse was all the way over right and back, so this boot concept is new to me and rather than trying this while moving and potentially causing an issue for myself, I tested while stopped. I'm sure I am not the only person who has wondered. Just wanted to be sure how careful I actually had to pay attention to not pull that thing up while shifting because sometimes I rest my finger around it in a way that may cause me to pull it up a bit.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Confused why I thought a normal of the function of the car might also work at a time it is not supposed to? Oh right... we live in a world where everyone designs things perfectly and there are no stupid design flaws./sarcasm

Of course I expected it to not do anything, however in all my previous Mustangs, reverse was all the way over right and back, so this boot concept is new to me and rather than trying this while moving and potentially causing an issue for myself, I tested while stopped. I'm sure I am not the only person who has wondered. Just wanted to be sure how careful I actually had to pay attention to not pull that thing up while shifting because sometimes I rest my finger around it in a way that may cause me to pull it up a bit.
The ring is just a lock out so that you don't accidentally get into reverse which is a separate position.
I don't get why the AC button is confused with start/stop button as they are quite far away.
I agree maybe they should've put it in a more separate location but if Ferrari is putting one on the steering wheel.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
The ring is just a lock out so that you don't accidentally get into reverse which is a separate position.
I don't get why the AC button is confused with start/stop button as they are quite far away.
I agree maybe they should've put it in a more separate location but if Ferrari is putting one on the steering wheel.
Never owned a vehicle with push to start, and quite far away... They definitely are separated but located in a similar area.. but I guess it's the muscle memory of pressing a button on the left side of everything in similar proximity which made me hesitant the first few times.

Guess I am just weird and you are all perfect:cheers:

I have base trim so the buttons are closer together than the premium. From the picture it does look odd how I would go to press the power button for air system and hesitate but I guess I am just being as careful as I can while going around a turn at 90 and fucking with my air system haha:D
DC2HFAF_136B520B-402D-7A49-3CC0-EA593CC0EA59.jpg
dsc_4305.jpg

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Never owned a vehicle with push to start, and quite far away... They definitely are separated but located in a similar area.. but I guess it's the muscle memory of pressing a button on the left side of everything in similar proximity which made me hesitant the first few times.

Guess I am just weird and you are all perfect:cheers:

I have base trim so the buttons are closer together than the premium. From the picture it does look odd how I would go to press the power button for air system and hesitate but I guess I am just being as careful as I can while going around a turn at 90 and fucking with my air system haha:D
I wish they had knobs for the temperature. The up and down toggles drive me nuts.
Sponsored