Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
  • Banned
As noted on another thread ford performance got 582 hp / 442 tq. With a 5.2 block and heads, GT350 spec cams, 12.0:1 compression, coyote crank, cobra jet intake and twin 65mm throttle body and long tube headers and 101 octane. I'm shooting for 600 crank hp.

My plan is as most of you know, basically the same set up:

-Cobra jet intake and throttle body
-JLT CAI
-ARH 1-7/8" long tube headers and Off road X pipe
-Dyno tuned at Watson engineering

I'm hoping to reach the 600 hp mark given the flat plane will get me the extra 18 hp to reach that goal. What are your thoughts.

Today I purchased a cobra jet intake and after some checks as I stated before, our hoods already have a recess on the hood reinforcement that looks like it will clear the intake without any issues. My only concern is the front of the intake, but after measuring everything it looks like it will clear. Of course the strut tower brace will have to be removed. It's no a option for me to do any modifications to the hood. But depending on header fitment and clearance if need be I may fabricate motor mounts, if it's needed. Time will tell.
Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Tune and fuel are going to make or break it. I would love for someone to compare the CJ intake back to back with the factory Voodoo intake and do graph overlays

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Didn't you get banned? Is this a new screen name?

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
As noted on another thread ford performance got 582 hp / 442 tq. With a 5.2 block and heads, GT350 spec cams, 12.0:1 compression, coyote crank, cobra jet intake and twin 65mm throttle body and long tube headers and 101 octane. I'm shooting for 600 crank hp.

My plan is as most of you know, basically the same set up:

-Cobra jet intake and throttle body
-JLT CAI
-ARH 1-7/8" long tube headers and Off road X pipe
-Dyno tuned at Watson engineering

I'm hoping to reach the 600 hp mark given the flat plane will get me the extra 18 hp to reach that goal. What are your thoughts.

Today I purchased a cobra jet intake and after some checks as I stated before, our hoods already have a recess on the hood reinforcement that looks like it will clear the intake without any issues. My only concern is the front of the intake, but after measuring everything it looks like it will clear. Of course the strut tower brace will have to be removed. It's no a option for me to do any modifications to the hood. But depending on header fitment and clearance if need be I may fabricate motor mounts, if it's needed. Time will tell.
I'd look at two things, some guys have made measurable gains by port matching the CJ intake to the the heads they are using it with and cleaning up the runners and plenum (big thread about it on SVTPERF), and second, I would consider using the CJ throttle body too which flows a couple of hundred CFM more than the dual 65. On the Boss/CJ combination, off idle drive-ability is touchy, but more power is available. With the extra swept volume and rpm of the voodoo, you should be past that. I think 600 is doable. Also, look for a high end crank dampener, but I would wait for some test results first. A carbon-fiber drive-shaft would also be called for here (lighter rims too). I could feel the difference in my car and I had no loss of NVH, and I spin my Boss to 8200.

DRAG RACE WARNING IF YOU LIKE GREY POUPON STOP READING NOW.

No power to be gained from gears, but i would be looking for someone to hob up a set of 4:88's if I was going to run a 1/4 and use 5th for its 1:1(still good for about 135 mph). Imagine the sound of that thing with open headers popping 4 shifts at 8200 rpm. I think this is viable with that tall first gear (probably too much with the MT82). You better be able to shift fast.
Yeah I know people its a road race car, but its got drag race bones if you look close. Somebody is going to do it eventually and shock some people.

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I know the guy from SVTP that does the runner and inlet clean up work on the CJ IMs. If you want to talk with him about it, I can let him know to keep an eye out for you. You have to be careful not to overwork it, it's just a mild smoothing of joints and transitions.

You'd have to handle to port matching part of it yourself since there would be some measuring involved.

OP
OP

8250RPM

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
  • Banned
I'd look at two things, some guys have made measurable gains by port matching the CJ intake to the the heads they are using it with and cleaning up the runners and plenum (big thread about it on SVTPERF), and second, I would consider using the CJ throttle body too which flows a couple of hundred CFM more than the dual 65. On the Boss/CJ combination, off idle drive-ability is touchy, but more power is available. With the extra swept volume and rpm of the voodoo, you should be past that. I think 600 is doable. Also, look for a high end crank dampener, but I would wait for some test results first. A carbon-fiber drive-shaft would also be called for here (lighter rims too). I could feel the difference in my car and I had no loss of NVH, and I spin my Boss to 8200.

DRAG RACE WARNING IF YOU LIKE GREY POUPON STOP READING NOW.

No power to be gained from gears, but i would be looking for someone to hob up a set of 4:88's if I was going to run a 1/4 and use 5th for its 1:1(still good for about 135 mph). Imagine the sound of that thing with open headers popping 4 shifts at 8200 rpm. I think this is viable with that tall first gear (probably too much with the MT82). You better be able to shift fast.
Yeah I know people its a road race car, but its got drag race bones if you look close. Somebody is going to do it eventually and shock some people.
I'm already ahead of you
I've already cleaned up the intake ports because once I opened the box to look at the intake I could see and feel the "core shift" so I finished the ports smooth and clean. I've also decided to go with the mono blade TB.
And regarding the damper, I thought about that long ago when the voodoo was being first talked about. I used ATI balancers in the past on other builds but as of now I'm going to retain the stock balancer until "if" something comes along. No choice that I'm aware of as of yet.
And I also already planned on a 1 piece carbon fiber drive shaft.
I'm also going to go with a FORE Fuel system.

As far as drag racing, no offense there. Of course I'll run it down the 1/4. That's what I do. If I really wanted to, I'd take my Jericho DR4 and put it in the shelby but I'm not gonna do that. But that would be a awesome combo. 4 speed with my long V-gate shifter. Lightning quick shifts. As of now we have no other gear choices to choose from because the super 8.8 is only offered with 3.73 and lesser gears. I talked to ford performance and they said as of now that's it but maybe a 4.10 in the near future. I think a 4.30 or 4.56 would really change things a lot and wish it was a option. Watson engineering is showing a IRS 9" but I don't want to make this into a drag car. I want to keep the handling and track performance and just add some 1/4 mile Voodooo to it. After all. Ford did add a drag mode for it.
People criticizing that this is a road race / track car I understand that. But I'm not out to take that away from the car. I'm not putting drag skinnies on it. I'm not gutting the interior or creature functions, I'm not replacing the brakes for lightweight drag brakes etc. I want a all around performance car like it is just turned up a notch. If I offend someone sorry but it's my car and none of you know me or how detailed I am at what I do. To each their own.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
You got this locked up, man. Seems like you've thought of everything - I cant really see anyone else besides you offering anything of value to this thread so we should all just sit back and watch the magic happen.

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Weren't you the one who goaded him into it?
I think he fell right into that himself, if this this the same fellow. I just have a very low tolerance for stupidity. :frusty:

Sponsored
OP
OP

8250RPM

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I know the guy from SVTP that does the runner and inlet clean up work on the CJ IMs. If you want to talk with him about it, I can let him know to keep an eye out for you. You have to be careful not to overwork it, it's just a mild smoothing of joints and transitions.

You'd have to handle to port matching part of it yourself since there would be some measuring involved.
I know what you mean, I've ported heads and intakes before. I put the intake on my bridgeport mill and did the port clean up then hand finished the final details. I also filled in the voids at the seams with epoxy before the finish clean up.

OP
OP

8250RPM

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Weren't you the one who goaded him into it?
Some people are just better to ignore. I love how he insults people without knowing them. God forbid if you disagree with someone or even if you do agree with the person and try to explain yourself. Some people just like to argue or try to prove their point when they haven't got any ground to stand on. Some people are followers others are doers. I'm a doer. I'm not scared to try something and learn from my mistakes. Not all failures are mistakes. One of the best mechanics ever was Smokey Yunick, I'm not comparing myself to him at all, but without people like him or Carroll shelby etc what kind of sport and hobby would we have? I have no tolerance for ignorance or shallow minded people that ride the shirt tails of the people that go out and do it and judge others for their choices. Don't talk about it, be about it!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Some people are just better to ignore. I love how he insults people without knowing them. God forbid if you disagree with someone or even if you do agree with the person and try to explain yourself. Some people just like to argue or try to prove their point when they haven't got any ground to stand on. Some people are followers others are doers. I'm a doer. I'm not scared to try something and learn from my mistakes. Not all failures are mistakes. One of the best mechanics ever was Smokey Yunick, I'm not comparing myself to him at all, but without people like him or Carroll shelby etc what kind of sport and hobby would we have? I have no tolerance for ignorance or shallow minded people that ride the shirt tails of the people that go out and do it and judge others for their choices. Don't talk about it, be about it!
You don't know how funny this is.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I think he fell right into that himself, if this this the same fellow. I just have a very low tolerance for stupidity. :frusty:

As do I. If you have nothing to say about the topic, keep it to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored