MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Hi Mustang Geniuses / Genii,

I've got a 2021 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2 Supercharger and the latest Calibration (I had the latest uploaded in April of 2023. They said nothing new since then).

I'm trying to use my TDN / RTD+ and was able to get the RTD plugged in and all updated however when it tries to read the car it gives this error.

Controllers Not Supported or Not Identified. You may need to use VCM Editor for this vehicle.

I reached out to Roush to see whether the tune is locked or not however they have just asked if I was a customer or a tech so that is still pending.

Anyone else have this issue and what did you have to do in order to solve it?

1713801364557-j6.png
Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I was tuned by Wengerd in January of 2023 and that tune was based on the 2022 Roush tune. After 10k miles I popped cylinder 6 and took it to the dealer. The new engine and car were flashed to the latest FORD tune so that the ECM could accept the latest Roush tune which was a tune from June 2023. It was sent to Wengerd and updated and I had no issue loading it with my RTD+ when he sent it back. They had more time spent in getting the Roush tune back onto the car than they did pulling out the old and putting in the new engine.. Seriously.

I assume the dealer was correct with the date, but with all of the other BS they told me, you should take my response with a grain of salt. I may be able to find the voucher code(s) they used but I don't know if that would confirm anything.

Reactions: MCS
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I was tuned by Wengerd that was based on the 2022 Roush tune. Popped cylinder 6 and the new engine and car were flashed to the latest FORD tune so that the ECM could accept the latest Roush tune which was a tune from June 2023. It was sent to Wengerd and updated and I had no issue loading it with my RTD+ when he sent it back. They had more time spent in getting the Roush tune back onto the car than they did pulling out the old and putting in the new engine.. Seriously.

I assume the dealer was correct with the date, but with all of the other BS they told me, you should take my response with a grain of salt. I may be able to find the voucher code(s) they used but I don't know if that would confirm anything.
  • Your 2022 Roush tune wasn't locked
  • You were tuned by Wengerd and the new tune was uploaded
  • You blew cylinder 6 so ordered new engine
    • New engine came with a Ford tune
  • You reloaded a Roush tune from June 2023 (probably one I am using)
    • It was then uploaded into your RTD+
    • It was sent to Wengerd who retuned it
    • It was then uploaded back into your vehicle
Is that about it?

I did check, a few weeks ago, with Roush and they told me I was on the latest calibration for my car.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
  • Your 2022 Roush tune wasn't locked
  • You were tuned by Wengerd and the new tune was uploaded
  • You blew cylinder 6 so ordered new engine
    • New engine came with a Ford tune
  • You reloaded a Roush tune from June 2023 (probably one I am using)
    • It was then uploaded into your RTD+
    • It was sent to Wengerd who retuned it
    • It was then uploaded back into your vehicle
Is that about it?

I did check, a few weeks ago, with Roush and they told me I was on the latest calibration for my car.
Pretty much spot on.

Just a note to clarify that the new engine doesn't technically have a tune as the PCM contains the tune and the engine uses that. The PCM would not accept the new Roush tune after the motor swap (which they blamed on my tuning device and my "aftermarket" tune), so Roush recommended reflashing the PCM back to the stock Ford Mustang tune first and then trying the Roush tune again... Even after that, the dealer said it took 6 Roush Voucher cards to finally get it to finish.

Nevermind the fact that I was paying for this out of pocket because I voided my own warranty (and told them all of the mods on the car) but when they put the new engine in, they managed to get the Roush tune on it first try... But the car was still throwing the exact same codes as it was when I took it in. For misfires on.... Cylinder 6. (I said above it took them six tries which is correct, but it was technically the second time they loaded the Roush tune. There were other issues that needed fixing after the first Roush flashing, so they kept the car to fix those).

Probably too much high-jacking here but when the first engine threw the misfire codes I could read them with my cheap amazon OBDII scanner, and my RTD+... I took it to a local shop that would allow me to use one of their bays for free and tried to read the codes with FORD equipment it WOULD NOT work.. Their Bosch equipment would read the codes and let me do a crank relearn but Ford equipment couldn't even discern the make and model.

I honestly don't think they have locked their tunes yet but I would RUN AWAY from the Roush tune as soon as you can. Frankly I thought it was okay until I experienced Wengerd's transmission tuning. It is NIGHT AND DAY different for the better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Roush just wrote me back and said
Yes our tunes are locked, you will need to wipe ours to put a custom tune on there.
That sucks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
That’s not exactly true.
Oh? Do tell?

As per our discussions in DM I am really only looking to have the transmission done. I asked Roush a few times about this but they kept coming back with "working as intended" so that is why I opted to go around them to get what I am looking for.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Plug the RTD into a laptop and use VCM to pull your stock file. I had this pop up a few weeks ago as well and had to use the laptop to pull the stock file, then was able to use the RTD connected to my phone to tune and log.

• Wow
Reactions: MCS
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Plug the RTD into a laptop and use VCM to pull your stock file. I had this pop up a few weeks ago as well and had to use the laptop to pull the stock file, then was able to use the RTD connected to my phone to tune and log.
I've got a laptop and the cable that came with the RTD.

Just need to find a YouTube video on getting that setup lol

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
  • You used VCM Editor wired to your laptop/RTD
  • Clicked READ the vehicle
  • Saved a local copy of your tune
  • Emailed file to your tuner
  • They put your updated tune into their tuner tenant on TDN
You could then use your RTD to download the tune and apply?

Sponsored
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Yeah hardwiring didn't work either.

1713811055086-g0.png

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Oh? Do tell?
Quite certain vcmeditor/mvpi and PCMtec can read and modify the Roush tune. Lots of people do this. You don’t wipe out the Roush stuff and start from nothing or even have to replace the os.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
@engineermike Interesting. So they may not have been completely forthcoming.

I tried using the hardwiring method that was mentioned above and gave me another error.

It does read the RTD device though and sees the credits and all that so that at least is working!

1713812693017-zj.png

More Data that didn't get to screenshot

Protocol Info: ISO 15765-2, J1962: CAN, 500 kb/s

ECM: 7E8, CAN, PCM -PowertrainCtrl
VIN: [I REMOVED THIS] - 2021 Ford Mustang GT Coupe, 5.0 L, V8
Calibration IDs: 1321-R2ADP-BGJ
Calibration VNs: 57FF89E7
Basic PIDs: 58

Last edited:

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
  • You used VCM Editor wired to your laptop/RTD
  • Clicked READ the vehicle
  • Saved a local copy of your tune
  • Emailed file to your tuner
  • They put your updated tune into their tuner tenant on TDN
You could then use your RTD to download the tune and apply?
Yes
Yes, but i believe i had to choose an option to select which OS. There were a few Ford ones for 18+ and one of them worked
Yes, emailed the stock tune to tuner
Yes, was able to just use the App on my iphone to install the tunes and datalog

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Yes, but i believe i had to choose an option to select which OS. There were a few Ford ones for 18+ and one of them worked
I have not been presented with that option anywhere.
Sponsored