Sponsored

2016 Shelby GT350/GT350R Media Drives & Reviews (CHECK FIRST POST)

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
I think the people that don't believe what the Ford Performance PR people are saying, don't want to feel that bad for paying ADM?? That's pretty generous of Ford to not have a hard lock of units that are going to be produced. It means that when they hit the lots, and are sitting for months and months, deals will be had.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I think the people that don't believe what the Ford Performance PR people are saying, don't want to feel that bad for paying ADM?? That's pretty generous of Ford to not have a hard lock of units that are going to be produced. It means that when they hit the lots, and are sitting for months and months, deals will be had.
It sounds nice but just based on previous years/models, they haven't built a ton.

One thing I can say that seems different...I don't remember seeing so many test and demo pre-production cars ever before...especially R models - those had always been pretty slim pickings.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've been told by a few people in the know at Ford that there is some flexibility in the final production numbers. There isn't a number set in stone like the 1964 for the 50th LE. My father just picked up a new 50th LE with 8 miles for invoice. Those worried about ADMs just need a little patience.
I have heard this also on one of the early reveals By one of the top execs but I can't remember his name, He had mentioned that it would be based on demand. along with the GT 350 being a 5 year production run. Don't take this as being written in stone as decisions can be changed. I am still looking for the YouTube video of that interview and will post it when I do.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The engines are hand built. They're stamped with the assembly person(s) name.

They've done this with SVT engines in the past.
Aren't the Recaros hand made also?

Sponsored

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
I have heard this also on one of the early reveals By one of the top execs but I can't remember his name, He had mentioned that it would be based on demand. along with the GT 350 being a 5 year production run. Don't take this as being written in stone as decisions can be changed. I am still looking for the YouTube video of that interview and will post it when I do.
I think that with the way CAFE regulations are going to slam the door shut on the big engines in a few years the GT350 and any GT500 between now and 2019-2020 will be produced from now until the end. Its like getting as much in before the end comes.

The future might hold tiny 3.5 Liter V8's with turbos.

More cars are going to be like Ferrari 360 Modena's with tiny v8 flat plane crank motors and twin turbos slapped on them.

Even the Modena's are pretty cheap nowadays.

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
Forgive me if this one has already been posted but this has to be one of the most gnarly runs I've seen on a POV video. The driver availability of revs in this car is evident as the driver uses maybe 2 gears in this video and I'm not sure he even shifts for most of it, so much for the over-rev feature, at least in this car. Gave me goose bumps
[ame]

licktensteins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four wheels and a stick
^^ another vid on that fake Motor Trend channel, stolen from Winding Road. Very strange that the real MT allows that to continue.

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
^^ another vid on that fake Motor Trend channel, stolen from Winding Road. Very strange that the real MT allows that to continue.
I noticed that when I saw it. I couldn't do anything about the title, but I liked the content

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Really disappointed with these first drives in term of performance content. What's up with Ford not offering performance metrics during these press events. Most of the information presented is stuff we already know. Is Ford afraid to tell us 0-60, 1/4 mile and track lap times?
I never understood the need to hear a figure from Ford. If Ford gives a number and nobody can replicate it, should it still be valued?

I don't care what Gene or Randy got, none of us can do that...

I think Ford is leaving the performance data reports to come from the owners, editors and drivers. I could care less about Ford's internal test numbers, I want to see what people can do. Then I can get a better picture of the car...

I will form my own opinion from those sources only to benchmark my own performance on.

Sponsored

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
^^^^ and by the way...when I was at the Shelby Legacy bank meeting here in Plano TX there was a spokes person there that said all sorts of stuff that was not true..I was like..your a spokes person and I know more than you..this is pathetic...I would take what this guys hearing this from a spokes person with a big grain of salt !!
Shelby Spokesperson or Ford?

There are most definitely people "in the know" who disagree with what you are saying.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I never understood the need to hear a figure from Ford. If Ford gives a number and nobody can replicate it, should it still be valued?

I don't care what Gene or Randy got, none of us can do that...

I think Ford is leaving the performance data reports to come from the owners, editors and drivers. I could care less about Ford's internal test numbers, I want to see what people can do. Then I can get a better picture of the car...

I will form my own opinion from those sources only to benchmark my own performance on.
I don't know who Gene is, but I do like to see what Randy Pobst was able to get, simply because he has tested a large number of cars and therefore it is easy to get an idea of the performance with the same driver. He also seems to provide good descriptions of what he is feeling behind the wheel, which is great to hear.

I agree that Ford's marketing numbers aren't very important. More interested in seeing what magazines are able to get (they typically have decent drivers on un-prepped surfaces, and therefore represent the relatively realistic "fast time"). Then you get the more mustang specific magazines that will run on a prepped track, and show what the car can do with a great driver and great prep. I find those less useful, but fun to see.

Finally, I definitely like seeing user results (especially road course videos).

-T

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Shelby Spokesperson or Ford?

There are most definitely people "in the know" who disagree with what you are saying.

It was a Ford hired spokes-person...do I know if he/they (it was a GUy and a girl, both clueless) is/are a 1099 , W-2 employee? No I do not know...:crazy:. The people in the KNOW..:lol: :doh: can disagree all they want...:thumbsup:

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I don't know who Gene is, but I do like to see what Randy Pobst was able to get,

-T
I'm guessing he's referring to Gene Martindale, the SVT vehicle dynamics engineer that did the test driving during development.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I got a chance to drive a GT350 Track Pack this afternoon for about 2 hours on the road. This car is nothing short of incredible. THAT SOUND :eyebulge:.

Power: It just builds, and builds and builds. The 91 hp is definitely noticeable, but also noticeably shifted in the rev range. Around town you do need to rev it more to get the same scoot.

Brakes: Fantastic. Great feel, great pedal firmness, stops hard.

Steering & Handling: Sharper than a GT PP: instant communication and better feedback through the wheel. Ride quality with the Magneride set in Normal was better than my base GT and better than a GT PP. I didn't get to push it but for a couple corners, but it felt very neutral and lots of grip from the Super Sports.

Seats: Those Recaros are the bee's knees. Hold you in better than the optional GT/EB Recaros, but are more comfortable. The side bolster padding is more aggressive, but is softer...more like a very firm memory foam.

Shifter: Great shifter. It's not worlds better than the MT-82 (at least compared to mine now that I've got 15,000 miles on it), but the shifts are a bit more precise. I don't have as many complaints about the MT-82 shifter as some do here.

Did I mention the sound? It's addictive. You keep it in lower gears just to hear the bark when you jump on the pedal, and to hear the popping and gurgling when you lift off. It's loud, but not overbearing. Zero drone of any kind on the highway. In fact the overall noise level cruising on the highway was lower than my GT. The R is supposed to be a lot louder, and I might be sampling that on Thursday.

What a car. If I had the money, I would choose it over just about anything else, even above cars 2-3 times more expensive.

Also: I would encourage people to use discretion with modifications. This car has been highly tuned around its focus and the incredible powertrain. No disrespect to anyone, but the aftermarket will not bring this car anything that will be truly better AND last. Many parts (specifically the exhaust) have been precisely optimized around the engine vibration modes. Ford has done more work to make this car exactly what it needs to be than any other before it.
Sponsored

Last edited: