1st Mods on 2020 GT500

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Pulling from my crummy memory banks, I think many chose 500. I was one of them.
Any others do theirs at 500? I wonder how much flake was in the oil. Maybe the reason the dealer's shop foreman said 800 was to let any residuals fully go through as to not get in the second batch? I could be talking out of my ass here, so apologies if so.

And KB, I'm a fan of your new profile pic. Yeah the girl is nice and all, but wow check out someone's beautiful Kona 500 behind her ;)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
We're both smiling, S. :-)

As for the oil, I'll let one of the experts give you the full story as I certainly am not.

That said, I saw no metal in my first oil change, filter or in the oil itself and of those I've seen photos of here, they all pretty much looked the same, at least to me.

In my case I'd say, moderately dirty for 500 miles. Keeping the warranty intact by changing every six months and only minimal mileage, gets expensive on this girl. <smile>

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We're both smiling, S. :-)

As for the oil, I'll let one of the experts give you the full story as I certainly am not.

That said, I saw no metal in my first oil change, filter or in the oil itself and of those I've seen photos of here, they all pretty much looked the same, at least to me.

In my case I'd say, moderately dirty for 500 miles. Keeping the warranty intact by changing every six months and only minimal mileage, gets expensive on this girl. <smile>
Not as nearly as expensive as the tires are going to be haha

Glad to hear no metal though.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Not as nearly as expensive as the tires
Nope, not for us non-racing types for sure S, but I'm glad I don't have to buy a set every month or so. Hobbies can be mighty expensive, too.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Continually working on cleaning up the engine bay, so at this point everything is kind of random. Eventually i will get everything i need and determine what needs to be painted or powdercoated or what type of fasteners need to go where so everything is 1 cohesive package. Right now i am just putting some parts on figuring things out. I am OCD on fasteners and appearance so mostly will use button head stainless fasteners everywhere. Put JLT catch can on , recessed mounting screws and put Ford logo on top....not sure i like but for now will keep the ford logo. Installed billet radiator hold down brackets and likely those will be powdercoated satin black. Hood vent replaced black bolts with stainless hardware.

And can someone please tell me what the connecter is in the drivers fender well/airbox area and whether it needs to be there or if it can be hidden?
wire connector.PNG
jlt catch.jpg
button head fasteners.jpg
billet radiator hold downs.jpg

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
When are you guys doing first oil changes by the way?

I was originally going to do it 500, all the high ups at the dealer the car came from said 800, and I've also heard 1000. Something about the transmission getting properly oiled, can't remember.

I did my SS at around 1000 in '17 iirc
I did my first change at 300 miles. Wanted to get all those metal filings out of there before my first track event. Epiphany posted a pix of his filter after his first change, and mine looked exactly the same. Way too much shiny stuff.
Changed again after my first track event at about 1,000 miles. Filter looks clean this time.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did my first change at 300 miles. Wanted to get all those metal filings out of there before my first track event. Epiphany posted a pix of his filter after his first change, and mine looked exactly the same. Way too much shiny stuff.
Changed again after my first track event at about 1,000 miles. Filter looks clean this time.
Gotcha, thanks for that. Looks like I'll be leaning on the lesser side of 500 as opposed to the greater.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thats what I do. Between 3 and 500. I agree.... Why would you want that stuff in your system? Get it out of there, its about $100 to change your own oil, depending on the amazon pricing fluidity.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thats what I do. Between 3 and 500. I agree.... Why would you want that stuff in your system? Get it out of there, its about $100 to change your own oil, depending on the amazon pricing fluidity.
Rock Auto is often cheaper than Amazon.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You use Ford's recommended oil or another kind?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You use Ford's recommended oil or another kind?
The GT350 was very specific in that only Amsoil and Motorcraft met the oil specification as set forth by Ford. I always use Motorcraft for warranty purposes. I have tracked my cars and Motorcraft 5W50 has never shown evidence of shearing or adverse affects under extreme conditions.

Motorcraft 5W50 is recommended and I see no other reason to use an alternative product because I have run the car to extremes and the oil had more in it.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The GT350 was very specific in that only Amsoil and Motorcraft met the oil specification as set forth by Ford. I always use Motorcraft for warranty purposes. I have tracked my cars and Motorcraft 5W50 has never shown evidence of shearing or adverse affects under extreme conditions.

Motorcraft 5W50 is recommended and I see no other reason to use an alternative product because I have run the car to extremes and the oil had more in it.
Yeah I heard they put Motorcraft in the PP1 GTs at least too, although may be a different kind. Thanks, good to know.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Well, my first mod didn't go as well as planned. I found a certified xpel installer (there aren't many within an hours drive of my location) and gave it a go. I went for full frontal and area just forward of the rear wheels. Found the installer cut into my hood pins. PPF is poorly aligned with panels and poor coverage on of paint on the front bumper. The areas where he did wrap the edges along the fender are lifting and or have large air pockets. The mirror caps maybe the worst, with stretch marks, lift marks and jagged edges. I want to have these issues addressed, but I don't want this installer involved at all, as he is obviously not skilled enough.
20200821_155635.jpg
20200821_155710.jpg
20200821_160207.jpg
20200821_160749.jpg