Sponsored

142 mph on true pump 93 octane!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
First, I am fully aware of the performance benefits of e85 and octane boosters on coyotes. But like myself, another forum member decided to see what he could get out of true 93 octane on a Whipple 2019 gt.

The car is 4100 lb race weight. DA was right at 0. Fuel was *true 93* out the pump with no octane booster or meth injection.

Whipple stage 2, 3.75 pulley
LTH/no cats/2.25” factory connect/2.5” exhaust
Stock front wheels with 17” ET streets

I’ve worked with him for many months on the tune to see how far we could push pump gas without increasing risk to the power train. This includes cam timing, gdi/hpfp, and spark control optimization. We totally reconfigured how the mapped points are managed as well.

We thought it might be a fluke a couple of weeks ago when he pulled 139, but last night he backed it up with a 138 and a whopping 141.8 mph (10.23 et). To say I was happy with this mph would be an understatement; as the best I expected was mid/upper 130’s.

That said, I would really like to see how this car would respond with some more exhaust work (all 3”, as I’ve measured the high restriction of 2.25” exhaust at this power level) and perhaps the xdi hpfp.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hmm... I have the same setup with 3" exhaust all the way back and would be willing to give the XDI pump a try if he isn't. I have all of the parts to go E85, but I would love to not have too. Unfortunately none of the mainstream tuners are really willing to explore the limits of 93 and I don't think I have quite the knowledge to handle it myself. With that being said, Lethal claims to have gone 136 with the 93 Whipple tune, Kooks headers and stock catback at 2240 DA. Your results somewhat put into perspective how unrealistic Lethal's results with project Goldmember are for the average person, as I had been somewhat using that as a "roadmap" for what to expect.

OP
OP

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@bankyf are you sure it’s actually 3”? Most resonators and x-pipes don’t maintain 3”.

As for the tuning, I believe we actually have it set up safer than most aftermarket tunes. It’s running the timing under knock and most of the time it doesn’t pick up any knock at all. We do have some individual cylinder timing and fuel adjustments made.

Most aftermarket tunes I’ve seen run right into knock then “you get your hand slapped” and knock retard pulls it back to a number lower than you otherwise could have run.

Even more timing and boost is possible. I’m certain there more room in his, and the xdi pump and exhaust work would open it up even more.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
@bankyf are you sure it’s actually 3”? Most resonators and x-pipes don’t maintain 3”.

As for the tuning, I believe we actually have it set up safer than most aftermarket tunes. It’s running the timing under knock and most of the time it doesn’t pick up any knock at all. We do have some individual cylinder timing and fuel adjustments made.

Most aftermarket tunes I’ve seen run right into knock then “you get your hand slapped” and knock retard pulls it back to a number lower than you otherwise could have run.

Even more timing and boost is possible. I’m certain there more room in his, and the xdi pump and exhaust work would open it up even more.
3" MBRP cat back with a crossover (H-pipe) and we cut out the "stock connect" portion at the front to mantain 3" throughout. Currently no resonators installed but it is too loud for my taste even in quiet mode for the active exhaust. I have a SB on order, but it's a few weeks out on backorder so I ordered some 12" Magnaflow bottle resonators that are 3" all the way through and will be an easier install anyway.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I watch a full weight 301a car at Atco in +300 DA on just MT/ET R (lighter 17” rear wheels, Stock 18” fronts) and Mac cat delete pipes go 138+ on PBD tune and a 4” inch pulley on 100% 93 Octane

These cars if tuned correctly are beasts
He ran back to back 10.30’s too

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Impressive indeed. Is this car still running cats, @engineermike?

EDIT- I see no cats.

One of the big benefits of e85 w/o cats is you are damn near completely rid of the nasty gasoline smell.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
That's awesome and congratulations. I'm on the exact same set-up but a true 3" exhaust, no bottle necks and 4232 with a full tank and me in it. In 4100DA I ran consistent 138 passes. 3.7 pulley, Shell 93, ZERO octane booster. I'd have to look but I believe that was a 6.5 60-130 on that run. My best in 1500DA was a 6.1 60-130 and I absolutely know on that run I could have potentially done a 5.9 - 6.0 but we were tuning a short shifting issue. That 6.1 60-130 was 140+ trap on pump gas đź‘Ť

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Great results!
Sponsored