Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
So you think I'd be blowing $900 for a new Tune?
Who tunes yours?
Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Question for all you 10r80 guys. Mine is tuned with Livernois but did the same thing when on stock Mach 1 tune.
Coming to a stop driving very normal, not fast at all and a gradual slow down, not hitting brakes hard, the car will do an aggressive lurching downshift from 2nd to 1st. It only does it in S or S+ and it only happens 10-15% of the stops. Is this a transmission defect or a tuning issue?
I am seriously contemplating going with Wengerd which is well known to have the best 10-speed tune, and dumping another $900 on a new Tune but not sure if it will fix the issue.
Other than being quircky or confused sometimes the Trans doesn't have all the other symptoms of being broken.
Thoughts?
My 2023 GT, California Special (non-tuned) has done the same thing since I bought it. However, mine normally does it when the car is cold (first start of the day). I get the hard downshift/lurch (feeling like getting rear ended) in 3rd gear (normal or sport+). The severity of it has definitely lessened since buying it, but it still happens randomly when the car is cold. No real pattern to it.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I have had the same thing, Mine is when I'm shifting from 3rd into 2nd. I've figured out if I can tie the shift when I'm moving at 15mph or less its much smoother. Or if I give it some gas. Its weird but manageable and has not changed since new. I figure this is just a quirk, doesn't really bother me!

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Question for all you 10r80 guys. Mine is tuned with Livernois but did the same thing when on stock Mach 1 tune.
Coming to a stop driving very normal, not fast at all and a gradual slow down, not hitting brakes hard, the car will do an aggressive lurching downshift from 2nd to 1st. It only does it in S or S+ and it only happens 10-15% of the stops. Is this a transmission defect or a tuning issue?
I am seriously contemplating going with Wengerd which is well known to have the best 10-speed tune, and dumping another $900 on a new Tune but not sure if it will fix the issue.
Other than being quircky or confused sometimes the Trans doesn't have all the other symptoms of being broken.
Thoughts?
I have the Wengerd tune and my car down shifts 1-3 with the same lurch forward about 7/10 times. It also happens with 5-4, and 4-3 but more clunky/Bumpy. The up AND/OR down shift on these lower gears is jerky, lurchy, pushy, grabby, etc etc. Gears 6-10 are much smoother up or down shift, but still not perfect. It is very unpredictable when the car will smoothly shift 1-3, I rarely ever see it shift to 2 while coming to a stop. I believe applying consistent brake pressure/level all the way to stop helps, but then I end up 2-3 car lengths behind where I originally wanted to stop. I had learned to slowly ease up on brakes when coming to a stop for a smooth stop... guess that doesn't work well with 10r80.

I'm convinced ford's version of the 10r80 is junk for daily driving; I can't imagine how much better this car would be with a BMW tuned ZF8.

I'll probably reach out to Daryl @ Wengerd to see if there is any way to solve this, but I'm not keeping my hopes up tbh.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply man, and sorry to hear your A10 is that bad. Mine is not as bad as your describing but the quirks of this transmission are definitely disappointing. You have to learn how to drive this transmission, not it learning you! 😂
I think i may be really pissed if I dump $900 on a Wengerd Tune over my $650 Livernois tune and it doesn’t fix these issues. Nobody has told me it will.
And I agree, my wife’s 22 X5 is smooth as butter!

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
Just did a pan drop and filter change on my 2019 a10 gt. I have the ab dip stick and with 6 quarts it doesn't even register on the dipstick. Wtf gives. Yeah the fluid isn't up to temp all the way but it doesn't even register on the stick at all.

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
Update got the trans to 200 degrees. Back up on the lift and it was measurable. Added the rest i had to make 7 total quarts and its on the b. I'll have to get another quart and come back to this.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I have the same problems with my transmission but not as bad after adding some fluid but i do have very hard down shift when i gas it to pass someoneso it feels like the transmission falls off the car

Sponsored

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
Please keep us informed on how much fluid it takes!
I picked up another quart yesterday and i had to add most of the 8th bottle to get it to the middle of the a line . I have 8 ounces left in the 8th bottle .

When i checked it yesterday before i added more 7 quarts was in the b area on full hot trans temp , wet/snow mode does a good job of getting that trans fluid hot .

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know off-hand at how many miles does FORD recommend changing and replacing the transmission fluid?

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I believe they say it lasts the lifetime of the car. This is what a dealership rep told me so who knows if that's right!
If I recall correctly on my 2013 2SS Camaro, I believe they changed the transmission fluid around 25 to 30,000 miles.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be doing my plugs + diff & trans fluid at 30k
Sponsored