Sponsored

October 2016 Mustang Sales

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You guys are talking like the GT is the only model but there are plenty of V6 and EB cars on dealer lots- some discounted 8-10K. I can buy a 2016 EB PP for 22K. Big Ford dealer here in ATL discounted all their 2016's 10K to blow them out. It was successful. So, GM isn't the only one doing the crazy incentive thing to move cars.
2016 Camaro is a new model refresh. Mustang is 3 years old......not exactly apples to apples comparison....but you have a point. Great time to buy a GT Mustang if you don't care to have the latest and greatest (2018 refresh).
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
2016 Camaro is a new model refresh. Mustang is 3 years old......not exactly apples to apples comparison....but you have a point. Great time to buy a GT Mustang if you don't care to have the latest and greatest (2018 refresh).
It's just over 2 years old. First cars in customer's hands in Oct of '14.

The overall auto market is in a bit of a slump, and as others have said, the market is pretty saturated. The demand will come up for the '18MY again and tail off as S650 gets close. That will all happen as the demand for sports coupes/sports cars slowly declines.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OK, 3 MODEL years old.......'15, '16 & '17. The Camaro is a '16 model and already heavily discounted. I don't have to argue Mustang v Camaro sales, the total volumes speak for themselves.

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
You guys think it's terrible but all year long mustang has been kicking camaros ass in sales by 4-5000 units each month. The camaro out sold the mustang by a measly 800 units... And there's a refresh coming for the pony.
Don't forget that Mustang is still outselling Camaro by 2 to 1 in Canada and by the thousands overseas, while Chevy is trying to give away the Camaro in the US.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Same thing happened in 2008 and they learned their lesson. The 2018 refresh was scheduled long ago... nobody can sustain sales of that magnitude for 3 model years. No way, no how.

I will say that the '15-'17 outperformed the '05-'07 as far as total sales go. The global sales help the Mustang, especially in times like these.

To be completely honest, unless sales in the US took a break, they wouldn't be able to catch up on Overseas back orders.

While US sales are 5000-6000 in the US, they probably went from 3000-4000 overseas to 5000-7000 a month. If US sales stay at 5000-6000, Ford won't have any issues filling the backorders in EU, AU, India and China. We can physically see Ford isn't pushing many 2017's on the US market.

Regardless, 5000-6000 sales a month, even for a 3 year old product is alarming. It seems Ford already foreseen this and took appropriate measures before hand.

The Camaro on the other hand... 6500 sales are not good, regardless of it managed to sell more. 6500 with 20% discounts on an 11 month old product is a huge failure. They can't even celebrate that number for being high...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
If I was in the market for a new Mustang I'd wait for 2018 for sure.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
It's just over 2 years old. First cars in customer's hands in Oct of '14.

The overall auto market is in a bit of a slump, and as others have said, the market is pretty saturated. The demand will come up for the '18MY again and tail off as S650 gets close. That will all happen as the demand for sports coupes/sports cars slowly declines.
Sports cars are in decline across all brands- Porsche sells more Macan's than any of their cars. Jaguar will be the same with the new F-pace. I think Ford's next big seller will be the new Ranger and Bronco but they did really well with the S550- nailed the styling and pricing.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Sports cars are in decline across all brands- Porsche sells more Macan's than any of their cars. Jaguar will be the same with the new F-pace. I think Ford's next big seller will be the new Ranger and Bronco but they did really well with the S550- nailed the styling and pricing.
The Mustang is priced more favorably, but the Camaro is much more car. It's content is probably worth what they're charging, but one can't necessarily see that unless they dig deeper. For example, getting a stock Mustang 5.0 to match a 6G SS in a straight line will require 3-5k (parts plus labor) before suspension enhancements or manual tranny fortifications (Ben Calimer Stage 1). Modding a Mustang to match also negates the warranty; For me, I find value in starting with a better platform, and I think others see that as well, but they're intimidated by Camaro MSRPs. These incentives relieve that inhibitor and provide buyers access.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The Mustang is priced more favorably, but the Camaro is much more car. It's content is probably worth what they're charging, but one can't necessarily see that unless they dig deeper. For example, getting a stock Mustang 5.0 to match a 6G SS in a straight line will require 3-5k (parts plus labor) before suspension enhancements or manual tranny fortifications (Ben Calimer Stage 1). Modding a Mustang to match also negates the warranty; For me, I find value in starting with a better platform, and I think others see that as well, but they're intimidated by Camaro MSRPs. These incentives relieve that inhibitor and provide buyers access.
I disagree. A 400 dollar E85 tune. Straight line advantage. Gone. 1200 dollar track pack suspension. Handling advantage gone. So your numbers are on the high side. Starting with a Camaro makes more sense now that GM is selling them at 20% off the MSRP. A 2SS at 46 grand. no thanks! A 2 SS at 36.8K. That's a pretty good deal worth considering if your in the market for a sports car.

Sponsored

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
I disagree. A 400 dollar E85 tune. Straight line advantage. Gone. 1200 dollar track pack suspension. Handling advantage gone. So your numbers are on the high side. Starting with a Camaro makes more sense now that GM is selling them at 20% off the MSRP. A 2SS at 46 grand. no thanks! A 2 SS at 36.8K. That's a pretty good deal worth considering if your in the market for a sports car.
Based on what I've seen at the track, it takes more than that.

At a minimum, it would have to be a base car with an E85 tune and headers. Stock SS traps range between 114 and 116 depending on traps and transmission. The last intake, E85 tune, axleback 5.0 I saw running was trapping 112-113 on drag radials. A couple weeks prior, in similar DA, a stock SS did maybe 10 runs total and trapped 115-116 like clockwork.

Drag Racing:
-Cradle lockout kit
-Maybe axles (depends on how far you go)
-E85 tune (not everyone wants this and E85 isn't readily available everywhere)
-Headers

Magazine tests prove the track pack suspension is inferior. This is based on the assumption that you're referring to the Ford Performance Pack, not aftermarket components.

Handling:
-Springs
-Shocks/struts
-Anti-roll bars
-Cradle lockout kit

The 6MT Camaro gets a 6060 from the factory. It's a stronger/superior transmission. Currently, I'd argue the A8 is also superior to the Mustang's A6 in terms of gearing and shift speed.

Manual transmission:
-RST + alum. flywheel, or some other clutch combo
-Ben Calimer Stage 1 (pads, welded forks, stop shift, 5th gear cones, his secret sauce)

From my experience, these upgrades are necessary if you want to drive the Mustang like a sport cars. The MT82 is a good transmission, but it has weak points that are prone to failure. I'd need these components to feel secure tracking a Mustang, or regularly taking it to the drag strip.

At that point, yes, the Mustang should be about as fast, and handle as well as a Camaro SS. How much is that? I guarantee you it's more than a 1SS with magnaride, NPP, and your choice of tranny, and labor won't be cheap for all of these components. With the SS, one would also retain their warranty, which IS a thing. Yes, I'm factoring in the 20% discount, but a 1SS with those two options would still be a deal compared to a base 5.0 after mod and labor cost. Personally, I wouldn't buy an SS unless I got 20% off, and I would only consider a 1SS. I also wouldn't buy a premium 5.0.

This is just my perspective.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Based on what I've seen at the track, it takes more than that.

At a minimum, it would have to be a base car with an E85 tune and headers. Stock SS traps range between 114 and 116 depending on traps and transmission. The last intake, E85 tune, axleback 5.0 I saw running was trapping 112-113 on drag radials. A couple weeks prior, in similar DA, a stock SS did maybe 10 runs total and trapped 115-116 like clockwork.

Drag Racing:
-Cradle lockout kit
-Maybe axles (depends on how far you go)
-E85 tune (not everyone wants this and E85 isn't readily available everywhere)
-Headers

Magazine tests prove the track pack suspension is inferior. This is based on the assumption that you're referring to the Ford Performance Pack, not aftermarket components.

Handling:
-Springs
-Shocks/struts
-Anti-roll bars
-Cradle lockout kit

The 6MT Camaro gets a 6060 from the factory. It's a stronger/superior transmission. Currently, I'd argue the A8 is also superior to the Mustang's A6 in terms of gearing and shift speed.

Manual transmission:
-RST + alum. flywheel, or some other clutch combo
-Ben Calimer Stage 1 (pads, welded forks, stop shift, 5th gear cones, his secret sauce)

From my experience, these upgrades are necessary if you want to drive the Mustang like a sport cars. The MT82 is a good transmission, but it has weak points that are prone to failure. I'd need these components to feel secure tracking a Mustang, or regularly taking it to the drag strip.

At that point, yes, the Mustang should be about as fast, and handle as well as a Camaro SS. How much is that? I guarantee you it's more than a 1SS with magnaride, NPP, and your choice of tranny, and labor won't be cheap for all of these components. With the SS, one would also retain their warranty, which IS a thing. Yes, I'm factoring in the 20% discount, but a 1SS with those two options would still be a deal compared to a base 5.0 after mod and labor cost. Personally, I wouldn't buy an SS unless I got 20% off, and I would only consider a 1SS. I also wouldn't buy a premium 5.0.

This is just my perspective.
Based on real world results from the SCCA, an EBPP is all that's required to handle an SS.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
More car is very subjective. For a DD that sees occasional autocross or track days, the Mustang is the better car doing no mods. It looks better, has more usable interior room, a significantly larger trunk and trunk opening, and the big one: visibility that isn't much worse than your average car. The car's handling can be improved substantially with less than $1000 spent. The power difference is negligible for street driving, as I know I'm always grip limited, not torque or power. Since I don't care about drag racing, and have driven a 2016 2SS to compare, I see no reason to ever get the Camaro over the Mustang for my needs.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
More car is very subjective. For a DD that sees occasional autocross or track days, the Mustang is the better car doing no mods. It looks better, has more usable interior room, a significantly larger trunk and trunk opening, and the big one: visibility that isn't much worse than your average car. The car's handling can be improved substantially with less than $1000 spent. The power difference is negligible for street driving, as I know I'm always grip limited, not torque or power. Since I don't care about drag racing, and have driven a 2016 2SS to compare, I see no reason to ever get the Camaro over the Mustang for my needs.
I could not agree more, while the camaro is the better performance car, the Mustang is the more well rounded car. EVEN with the discounts the Mustang is still the better choice cause the camaro just had too many flaws, however it does suck that we can't make fun of the camaro fan boys anymore each month due to the dismal sales numbers. Hopefully when the refresh is out it will go back to the way it was.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
People might be waiting for the refresh but I would buy a 15/16 5.0 in a heartbeat!
Sponsored