Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Huge price difference between regular vs premium here in Central Texas:

Shell
Regular (87 octane) = $1.89
Mid-Grade (89 octane) = $2.19
Premium (93 octane) = $2.54

25% more money for premium.

Less then $2 bucks for a gallon of regular...I remember paying $4, so I'm not complaining.
Sponsored

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Back when I first started driving prices for mid-grade used to be 10 cents more than regular unleaded, and premium was always 10 cents more than mid-grade at most gas stations. Then maybe 2-3 years ago the lowest price increase you could find at any gas station was 15 cents more for mid-grade, and another 15 cents more for premium. Last year, the gas stations in my city upped the prices again to 20 cents more for mid-grade and 20 more cents for premium.

Now, the lowest price you can find anywhere in Southwest Ohio is 25 cents more for mid-grade and another 25 cents more for premium. Making the price difference from regular to premium a whopping 50 cents. That is the absolute cheapest, many gas stations such as Shell and BP charge 80-90 cents more for premium.

Does anyone else face this same dilemma as me or do I live in the worst area for gas prices? I'd like to hear from other people who live in different parts of the country how much they pay for premium gas.
I don"t get your concern on the price of Premium fuel,your SIG says you are driving an Ecoboost,anything more than Regular gas in it is a waste of money:doh:

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
Gas prices are so heavenly cheap im enjoying it. Costco wooop!!!! Remember when that crap was almost 5 bucks a few years ago, costing me almost 80 bucks to fill up my 2002 camry rofl. It was a life decision to go to the gas station.
Those were dark days. I remember seeing news stories of people selling plasma and selling off some of their business suits just to pay for gas to get to work. I was very lucky and both the wife and I were only 3 miles from home to work.

Price difference here in Reno, NV is about .32 from 87 to 91. I like some others have been using 87 because I can't tell the difference between fuel grades in performance or mileage. I keep convincing myself that it's worth not buying a tuner and custom tune to save my warranty and still be able to run the less expensive fuel. This is a battle I think I'll loose though now that Ford has the performance package available now.

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
Shell premium has more detergents and lubricants compared to other brands. Marathon (Speedway too) has STP additives in premium. Might be a wash what each additive does but it's still so much cheaper than it was a few years ago it's hard for me to complain!

Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
The mobil station I fill up at is $2.09 for 87 and $2.69 for 93, so a $0.60 swing. Shell being the same price. Sheetz is cheaper, but I have always used Mobil fuel.

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex GT in TY. Now GT Shadow in RR
You guys should try the non-US prices. Over here we are paying around $5.22 per US gallon for standard unleaded and around $5.50 for higher end stuff.

I get through ÂŁ60 per week doing a 240 mile week in the UK averaging around 16mpg in the US...

I wish we had fuel at your prices lol

JasonS1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP M6
Usually only a .20 cent difference between 87 and 91 here in the Bay. Guess for once there's a benefit to being in CA...car can't be too loud, but you can fit it up with premium cheaply.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
You guys should try the non-US prices. Over here we are paying around $5.22 per US gallon for standard unleaded and around $5.50 for higher end stuff.

I get through ÂŁ60 per week doing a 240 mile week in the UK averaging around 16mpg in the US...

I wish we had fuel at your prices lol
Its election year, after all this hoopla we will be back in the upper $3 range. Speculators need their yahts.

Sponsored

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
This is something that irks me every time I fill up. I get excited tk see 2.07/gal for regular, thinking 2.47 or so for 93... only to see 2.07/2.37/2.87. Pisses me off.

RTmiata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Where I live it varies so much that its impossible to get consistent prices. Sometimes a gas station will have premium .50 higher than regular and then the next time .90. My theory is because of where I live most people do not actually buy the premium enough. So the prices are being based on what they payed last time they filled up, but that is just a guess.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I just read that the reason Premium has increased more then regular is that more cars are required to run premium then before. You got all these cars with turbos and high compression. I had a 2012 Honda Civic SI that required premium with its 11:1 and then you get your turbo GTI and Jettas. Kia and Hyundai and BMW and Mercedes and even Honda now has a turbo car. This all increases the demand for premium and since its more refined and takes more effort, they have to pass it on to us, the consumer.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Per the owner's manual, my 2008 GTI (T4) did not require premium. You got more power and better mileage with it, but the car would readily burn 87 with no problems.

I'm sure that the current GTI is the same way. I know my wife's Focus ST will burn 87 with no issues.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I think all cars will "run" on 87, and here in Idaho you can get 85, but at what level and at what detriment. More chance of detonation. My 1988 Thunderbird Turbo coupe had a switch for premium and regular fuel. It would pull timing and change the way it ran. Made a big difference in the performance. I would think the same applies now.
Sponsored