Window madness

droptopheaven

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Convertible, 89 Jeep Wrangler
My passenger window shifts up and down on its own, its enough to drive you insane. So far the dealer has replaced the regulator, the frame, the door micro-switch, and dropped the whole assembly 1/8" to no avail. This has been a recurring problem since I bought my car. It was a dealer "must fix" item, I've had it 16 months and they have yet to fix it. I have a 2020 Ecoboost, I love my car just not the window issue. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The car is a 2020. How long has it been doing this? Is there a chance another event triggered it, or it just started on it's own?

I haven't studied the topic in-depth, but something I remember reading of is re-learning the window height; that might be worth a look. The following might not be the correct thread, but it's the topic I'm thinking of.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/window-reset.52786/

Shouldn't matter (?), but I wonder if it is worth re-flashing the car's Body Control Module; this might help reset or restart an internal module. Wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
By dropping do you mean short drop like when you open the door and it drops a bit? If that’s the case, most likely the window motor will need to be replaced. I had that issue after having my old 17 gt jump started by the dealer.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My passenger window shifts up and down on its own, its enough to drive you insane. So far the dealer has replaced the regulator, the frame, the door micro-switch, and dropped the whole assembly 1/8" to no avail. This has been a recurring problem since I bought my car. It was a dealer "must fix" item, I've had it 16 months and they have yet to fix it. I have a 2020 Ecoboost, I love my car just not the window issue. Any ideas?

Sounds like water intrusion into the window harness connectors. This has been a common issue mentioned in several threads on here.

See if this thread helps you out:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...2017-mustang-convertible.163938/#post-3356187

OP
OP
droptopheaven

droptopheaven

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
By dropping do you mean short drop like when you open the door and it drops a bit? If that’s the case, most likely the window motor will need to be replaced. I had that issue after having my old 17 gt jump started by the dealer.
Its not the normal drop, it just keeps adjusting itself. I've sat in my car not running and watched it start this adjusting itself, sometimes its only a few seconds, I recorded once doing it over a minute of constant up and down. They have replaced the window motor, the regulator, and the micro-switch, they also lowered the whole unit an 1/8" and it still does it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
droptopheaven

droptopheaven

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
The car is a 2020. How long has it been doing this? Is there a chance another event triggered it, or it just started on it's own?

I haven't studied the topic in-depth, but something I remember reading of is re-learning the window height; that might be worth a look. The following might not be the correct thread, but it's the topic I'm thinking of.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/window-reset.52786/

Shouldn't matter (?), but I wonder if it is worth re-flashing the car's Body Control Module; this might help reset or restart an internal module. Wouldn't hurt.
Its done it since I bought it 16 months ago at a Mazda dealership, at first they said it was my problem but my service advisor sang a different tune when his boss got her tail chewed out. He then tried sending me to the Ford dealership down the road. I was willing to give that a go as long as Mazda was paying for it. The Ford dealer said they had to have my car for a minimum of 7 days just to look at it. I thought that was insane so I kicked it back to Mazda. He whined about having to fix it to the point he no longer works there. My new service advisor has done her best to get it resolved. Thanks for the info, I will pass it on to them when I go for my next visit Monday after next. Told my wife who has the same year vert that this would be a great place to get info, yall rock!

OP
OP
droptopheaven

droptopheaven

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like a possessed window.
It may be, maybe I need some holy water sprinkled on it, anything at this point would be an improvement.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I’m just throwing this out there. How’s the battery condition? I ask because if I let my car sit unused for three weeks or more I get weird responses when selecting memory seat options, usually with a mirror but not always. Once the battery is fully charged, things are fine again.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
My 2020 was doing the same thing after it rained for a few days or after I washed it. There is a TSB 22-2242 that is for the holes in the A pillar that are used to hold the body during the manufacturing process when it dipped in the anti corrosion tank to coat it. There is paper glue on covers placed over those holes after it is dipped and painted. The paper sticker will come loose over time and allow water to leak into the floor boards in the front footwells and on the passenger side it can also cause dampness/water to get in the BCM and fuses. The TSB has rubber plugs that replace the paper sticker for a more permeant sealing of those holes.

You need to open the doors and look in between the fender and door in the area between the door hinges to see the stockers and if you see them peeling off or coming loose so that you can see the edges of the holes in the A pillar the TSB needs performed or at least install the rubber plug after removing the sticker. I just installed the rubber plugs in the holes and have not had any more issue with my passenger window hunting for its happy position.

The rubber plug part numbers are

W718717-S300​
1​
Rubber Body Plug
4​
2​

Here is the entire TSB.

WATER LEAK ONTO FRONT CARPET FROM A-PILLAR

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Water Leak Onto Front Carpet From A-Pillar
22-2242
24 June 2022​
Model:
Ford
2015-2022 Mustang
Issue: Some 2015-2022 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a water leak onto the front carpet that originates from the either the left or right A-pillar. This may be due to a detached A-pillar body seal. Follow the service procedure to repair the vehicle.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:
• 2015-2022 Mustang
• Water leak onto the front carpet from the A-pillar area
Parts
Service Part NumberQuantityDescriptionUnit of IssuePiece Quantity
W718717-S300​
1​
Rubber Body Plug
4​
2​
PM-13-A​
As Needed​
Motorcraft® Anti-Corrosion Coating
19500​
As Needed​
Motorcraft® All-in-One Exterior Lacquer Touch-Up Paint - Refer To The Part Catalog For The VIN Specific Application
Quantity refers to the amount of the service part number required to repair the vehicle.
Unit of Issue refers to the number of individual pieces included in a service part number package.
Piece Quantity refers to the total number of individual pieces required to repair the vehicle.
Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2015-2022 Mustang: Inspect And Install Body Plug On One (1) Side Of The Vehicle Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Operation Outside Of This Article)
222242A​
0.3 Hrs.​
2015-2022 Mustang: Inspect And Install Body Plug On Both (2) Sides Of The Vehicle Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Operation Outside Of This Article)
222242B​
0.5 Hrs.​
Additional Time To Service Carpet For Dampness And/Or Odor (Can Be Claimed With Operations A Or B)
MT222242​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:76211A10
Condition Code:17
Service Procedure
1. Fully open both doors.
2. Inspect the body seals on both A-pillars for complete 360-degree adhesion to the sheet metal. (Figure 1)
NOTE: The A-pillar body seals are an adhesive patch that seals a 19 mm (0.75 in.) diameter hole in the sheet metal. These seals must have complete adhesion around all edges. If any portion of the sealing surface is compromised, water entry into the cabin may result.
Figure 1 - Left A-pillar shown, right A-pillar similar

Open In New Tab Zoom/Print

3. Are the body seals on both A-pillars completely sealed to the body? (Figure 2)
Figure 2 - Example of failed A-pillar sticker seals

Open In New Tab Zoom/Print

(1). Yes - this article does not apply.
(2). No - proceed to Step 4.
4. Inspect the fender insulator to be sure it does not restrict access to the A-pillar body seal. If the fender insulator covers any portion of the A-pillar body seal, the foam fender insulator can be slightly indented to allow for unobstructed access to the seal.
5. Apply paint-safe, protective tape to the door and fender edges.
6. Use fingers and/or pliers to completely remove and discard the A-pillar body seal.
7. Use alcohol wipes to remove all remaining adhesive left by the discarded body seal.
8. Apply Motorcraft® Anti-Corrosion Coating to all exposed metal around the A-pillar body hole. Allow the Motorcraft® Anti-Corrosion Coating to dry following the instructions on the container.
9. Use a small paint brush to apply touch-up paint to the exterior surfaces that were previously coated with Motorcraft® Anti-Corrosion Coating. Allow paint time to dry following the instructions on the touch-up paint container.
10. Install and fully seat the new rubber body plug into the A-pillar body hole.
11. If the other A-pillar body seal requires repair, repeat Steps 4-10.
© 2022 Ford Motor Company
All rights reserved.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

BD
Sponsored