Sponsored

Whipple & Broken Cranks

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
My apologies, I wasn't aware that you were privileged to internal Ford engineering information. In the past Ford has made changes in parts that logically appear to be for one reason, but in actuality are for a completely different reason. You seem to have a source for the facts that the rest of us don't. Carry on.
Apology accepted. Carry on.
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Can confirm, my 2022 has the elastomer damper.

IMG_6215.jpg

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
So the Elastomer is trash?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's a classic spurious logic flaw to tie "aftermarket" dampeners to the issue when the vast majority of aftermarket dampeners are on boosted/blown setups. So is it the ATI/IW dampener that's causing the issue or the torque applied more forward of the front cover, additional torque, additional RPM (redline), or a combination of all, etc, etc.

The OE bolt design is curious and probably works within OE power levels/harmonics, but it begs the question (other than weight) of why they'd have a big channel within the crank for the bolt to flex/wander.

It "SEEMS" like the Kinetic bolt would help reduce potential flex by filling in this space/void and not allowing as much deformation under harsh shock loads.

It also remains to be seen whether a natural aspirated motor that's making what power adder motors make would have the same detrimental effects on the crank.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
To my knowledge its the same OPG/CS. What was changed was the dampener. APPARENTLY...the failures, someone determined, were due to harmonic vibrations at high RPMs. Ford went to a viscous fluid dampener on the gen 3 coyotes and this problem is supposedly "fixed". I couldn't find anything online about an 18+ failure so I started asking around. Only person to say he's seen them was Wengerd and he said they were pushing the 800-900hp range and they didn't explode, just cracked, so I'm assuming it didn't cause a catastrophic engine failure. So it seems pretty rare now.
Interesting.

Does anyone have a visual of the dampeners side by side to see the differences - or at least have the knowledge to know what dampener they have before hand?

Any Ford part number references.?

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can confirm, my 2022 has the elastomer damper.

IMG_6215.jpg
Unless it's just the way the pic looks, it appears the elastomeric center on the lower left appears to be bulging out (IF that is in fact the rubber, hard to tell from your image). If it is bulging (front or back side of the dampener), eventually that will end up in a failure.

A ways back, the 2002+ Ford Explorers with the V6 in them, had many issues with the factory harmonic balancer elastomeric material failing. I had a tech thread over on the Explorer forum that was a good reference for others. Initial failure starts with what sounds like belt squealing, then if let go without repairing, eventually the outer ring of the balancer will spin or separate from the inner and if continued to let go without fixing, it can snap the crank snout...

So anyone with a harmonic balancer that has the elastomeric center should always check to make sure it's not deteriorating over time AND that it's not bulging out on the front or back side. Another key diagnosis is - when engine is at idle, shine a light down at it, if there is ANY wobble at all, replace it. It should never have a wobble.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
The OE bolt design is curious and probably works within OE power levels/harmonics, but it begs the question (other than weight) of why they'd have a big channel within the crank for the bolt to flex/wander
Truth, this is why Im going with the Apex Torque Stud kit as well as the Boundary sprocket that has the grip surface on it. This combo should keep this sumbitch in place.

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/boundary-combo-grip-15-hbb/

Last edited:

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Unless it's just the way the pic looks, it appears the elastomeric center on the lower left appears to be bulging out (IF that is in fact the rubber, hard to tell from your image). If it is bulging (front or back side of the dampener), eventually that will end up in a failure.

A ways back, the 2002+ Ford Explorers with the V6 in them, had many issues with the factory harmonic balancer elastomeric material failing. I had a tech thread over on the Explorer forum that was a good reference for others. Initial failure starts with what sounds like belt squealing, then if let go without repairing, eventually the outer ring of the balancer will spin or separate from the inner and if continued to let go without fixing, it can snap the crank snout...

So anyone with a harmonic balancer that has the elastomeric center should always check to make sure it's not deteriorating over time AND that it's not bulging out on the front or back side. Another key diagnosis is - when engine is at idle, shine a light down at it, if there is ANY wobble at all, replace it. It should never have a wobble.
Good call, I'll check that when I get home. For 122 bucks, I may just swap over to the Ford Fluid damper when I do the OPG/CS

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Truth, this is why Im going with the Apex Torque Stud kit as well as the Boundary sprocket that has the grip surface on it. This combo should keep this sumbitch in place.

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/boundary-combo-grip-15-hbb/
The Kinetic studs shank diameter closely matches the snout counterbore, which minimizes stretch, improves applied torque accuracy and can potentially be set to a higher torque value. The Apex piece is superior to a bolt though.
Sponsored