Sponsored

When to prefer aftermarket vs OEM parts?

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
Since the S550 has a vast lineup of trims, there are a few different OEM options when replacing a part and that is cool.

I typically like getting OEM parts, mostly because they were designed by the same engineers that built the car, so I suspect they would know better.

Recently I got a good deal on Steeda sway bars and G track brace, so I am wondering are these items better than the same best OEM part?

How do you decide when an aftermarket part is preferable than OEM?
Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Generally Steeda will be better than OEM because they are purposely designed and built rather than the constraints put on Ford that almost always involve a trade off between performance and comfort / drivability / reliability / lawyers / bean counters / lowest common denominator. I havenā€™t regretted a single Steeda part Iā€™ve added to my M1 and Iā€™ve got a bunch of their stuff under it.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Steedaā€™s parts are definitely constructed much better than OEM. I just installed their rear drag race sway bar on my car. Itā€™s considerably heavier than the OEM bar. When you compare any OEM part to Steedaā€™s (or even BMRā€˜s rear Magneride springs), you can see how much beefier they are. I also have the following additional Steeda parts.

- Subframe braces
- Diff. bushing kit with through bolt kit (black bushings)
- Subframe bushing supports
- Hardcore diff. bracket
- Subframe alignment kit
- Adj. rear camber arms
- RLCA Spherical bearings
- Adj. toe links
- Billet vertical links (delrin bushings)
- 1 piece driveshaft
- Driveshaft safety loop
- Tri-ax Race shifter
- Adj. motor mounts (set to drag race configuration)
- Idler and tensioner pulleys

Hereā€™s a quick visual reference for you. Look at the difference in the thickness of the black OEM rear springs, compared to BMRā€™s rear springs.

IMG_6041.jpeg

IMG_6039.jpeg

DCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually taken apart.
24 years in sales/customer service at one of the big part stores, my experience is:
-You get what you pay for.
- OEM stuff will fit the best out of the box and last but may have limitations.
- There are trade offs for the high performance parts. A lot of people like the idea of dailying a race car, but don't like it when they do race car things. NVH is a real thing and there are trade-offs, lightened parts are fast but won't hold up to street driving and potholes.
- You get what you pay for.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Lots of options and lots of good parts manufacturers out there to from.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Theres some great OEM stuff, but with any part, there isnt one answer which fits all situations. You have to evaluate the part against your needs on their own merits.

For things like swaybars, at their core they are pretty simple chunks of spring steel. It comes down to if they fit well, what the rates are, how many adjustments, and do they have the features like integrated collars. Doesnt really matter who makes or sells it, or what color the paint is.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'll second Jacob above. Aftermarket part makers tend to use term "better handling" or "better performance" when it comes to suspension parts which means just about nothing.

Sway is a sway bar and it is means for suspension tuning ather than magical low hanging fruit to make car "better" (which is subjective) . OEM suspension is a trade off between handling, comfort and NVH and cost.

I know of one aftermarket sway bar that failed (broke) while I've never heard about OEM one doing that.

In most cases aftermarket parts are better because cost is what drives car manufacturers the most, but it's not always the case.

Spring thickness comparison above is - sorry - completely nonsensical. You can achieve higher spring rate (which I am sure BMR spring has) by either thickness or material properties. It has literally _nothing_ with quality.

DCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Usually taken apart.
OEM stuff is usually a compromise. It's made to appeal to the person that bought the car because it's a cute convertible, the guy who drives in city traffic and to the track enthusiasts. Aftermarket can be far more focused on a specific goal so they can be very focused.
Sponsored