What's In DFB's Cabinet?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Couldn't agree more with everything you said, D and I am especially angered by the slow but steady reduction in competitive product choices. I see it here in our near monopoly grocery chain, too. Hell, these guys (HEB,) now have multiple separate product lines in an obvious attempt to pull the wool over customers' eyes.
I do like HEB though, especially their Central Market stores. I make it a point to stop in one every time I go to TX. And Buccees. Gosh dang I love me some Buccees.
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Quite a review, Alex and knowing you and the obsessive behavior we share, <grinning> it's gotta be good.

When I started using the Web for detailing products and gouge, Larry's site was, I believe, the first one I saw. Stuck with him and his early products but, like so many areas, I moved on to others.

But, I gotta say, he's clearly done his homework and, spent some serious cash on research as his current products apparently have upped his game immensely.

For me, sticking with CP for coatings, toppers, and soap seems logical and I think they are in the upper echelon of detailing products. Same thing for polishing, and with the exception of Sonax Final Finish, I stick with Rupes products for everything else.

Besides, I simply don't have the time (or inclination,) to compare products as some of you do (although I'm envious of your free time, <smiling>) and I'm happy to have an easy solution to get ninety percent or more towards perfection.
Can't go wrong with CARPRO. They make great products, I have a ton of them in my arsenal and rotate them out regularly. Perl, Reset, Lift, Hydro2, Reload, even Retyre is fantastic. Some of them I have found better alternatives (I much prefer P&S Express interior over CP Inside). As for polish, I bought a bottle of Essence, have yet to try it but its on my to do list LOL. But yes, I am always on the hunt for greater and better. I just love to try new things, much like our fearless leader D :) And Armour Detail Supply has so far scratched that itch with every product I have tried. I will try their ceramic detail spray next, to see if it will dethrone Reload, Boost V2, and KCx S0.02.

I have enough product to last me the rest of my lifetime I know, I do give some away on occasion, especially when I buy in a gallon and someone brings me an empty spray bottle :)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I have enough product to last me the rest of my lifetime I know, I do give some away on occasion, especially when I buy in a gallon and someone brings me an empty spray bottle
Amen to that, Alex and I know my one nephew will rent a truck to take all my chidt when I'm gone. <grin> And I also give stuff away regularly although I've yet to have someone bring a spray bottle. <BSEG>

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
What is everyone using for plastic protection from sun? I just bought a Bronco and want something for the finder flares. Iv seen some talk about CG's VRP but figured some of the other brands would have something better.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
What is everyone using for plastic protection from sun? I just bought a Bronco and want something for the finder flares. Iv seen some talk about CG's VRP but figured some of the other brands would have something better.
My daily driver gets driven over 40K miles yearly. Stays outside 24x7. I applied CARPRO Dlux to all the plastic trim last summer and it is holding up great, still nice and black and sheds water like crazy. This is a wheel and trim ceramic coating. There are other brands that carry similar (Gyeon Trim is another). Also CARPRO Reload works for a while, also works on paint too, any ceramic coating or topper will work for a while. CG VRP is just a dressing and will last a few days at most like all CG products... Koch Chemie Plast star is a little more durable on trim, I use it on tires too.

Sponsored

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I'm using car pro PERL neat/undiluted. Use it for trim and tires in one swoop!

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
My daily driver gets driven over 40K miles yearly. Stays outside 24x7. I applied CARPRO Dlux to all the plastic trim last summer and it is holding up great, still nice and black and sheds water like crazy. This is a wheel and trim ceramic coating. There are other brands that carry similar (Gyeon Trim is another). Also CARPRO Reload works for a while, also works on paint too, any ceramic coating or topper will work for a while. CG VRP is just a dressing and will last a few days at most like all CG products... Koch Chemie Plast star is a little more durable on trim, I use it on tires too.
I second Gyeon Trim. It's a very nice to apply and durable ceramic plastics coating. Mine has been on 3 or 4 years and still like when I applied it.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Short Term (Days to a week)-
303 Protectant
Carpro Perl
Koch Chemie Plast Star

Mid Term (1 - 3 months) -
Carpro Reload
Gyeon Cure
Koch Chemie S0.02

Longer Term (1 to 2 years) -
Carpro DLUX
Gyeon Trim
Gtechniq C4

Personally, I like what Reload does to black trim, it adds subtle richness that is dry to touch, easy and forgiving to apply, decent longevity. You would apply this every 2 to 3 months, more often if parked in the elements.

IMG-4869-2.jpg

Nothing wrong with the proper ceramics like DLUX, but the application needs more prep and care.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Dear Dr DFB,

I now have some Eurotrash, with a proper soft napa wheel, inhabiting the garage next to the Mustang.

It appears that the previous owner (Kylie someone perhaps ? :giggle:) liked to apply make-up while driving so the first day of ownership was spent with my breath held trying different things to get the glitter off. None of the usual cleaning suspects would shift it and I think some were on the brink of affecting the leather and/or dye but I couldn't live with a rough wheel so it was 'crash or crash through' and get ready to buy a new one. Ultimately I found that I could pop the glitter off with a plastic razor blade, sadly the leather didn't, to my pernickety eye, escape 100% perfectly unscathed but it's still a good outcome.

I'm now going to move on to cleaning out the perforated sections of the wheel as they're pretty gross. What would the Doctor recommend for this task?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Dear Dr DFB,

I now have some Eurotrash, with a proper soft napa wheel, inhabiting the garage next to the Mustang.

It appears that the previous owner (Kylie someone perhaps ? :giggle:) liked to apply make-up while driving so the first day of ownership was spent with my breath held trying different things to get the glitter off. None of the usual cleaning suspects would shift it and I think some were on the brink of affecting the leather and/or dye but I couldn't live with a rough wheel so it was 'crash or crash through' and get ready to buy a new one. Ultimately I found that I could pop the glitter off with a plastic razor blade, sadly the leather didn't, to my pernickety eye, escape 100% perfectly unscathed but it's still a good outcome.

I'm now going to move on to cleaning out the perforated sections of the wheel as they're pretty gross. What would the Doctor recommend for this task?
Spill the beans, what flavor of Euro-trash are we talking about here?

Perforated leather can be a nightmare. I think in this case, you would apply a cleaner allow it to soak before agitation. This would be difficult on a steering wheel, so a foaming type leather cleaner would be quite useful here. ColourLock Strong Leather Cleaner foams, as will Koch Chemie Pol Star when used in a foam applicator bottle. Team either with the ColourLock brush, or a scrub pad.

Strong Leather Cleaner for car, furniture, bags | COLOURLOCK | COLOURLOCK Australia
Colourlock Strong Leather Cleaner - 200ml – The Detail Store

Koch Chemie Polish & Sealing Pad 126mm/150mm - Cell Star Cleaner (detailingshed.com.au)
Koch Chemie Foamer Bottle 150ml: High-Quality Foam Generation (detailingshed.com.au)

Leather Cleaning Brush – Only £4.00 | COLOURLOCK | COLOURLOCK Australia
MAXSHINE Interior Scrubbing Sponge (detailingshed.com.au)

If you have damaged the leather during the cleaning process, which will be a combination of the cleaning action and the overall neglect, you can get leather colour repair products, which ColourLock offer in kit form.

Colourlock Steering Wheel Restoration Kit - Black – The Detail Store
Colourlock Leather Fresh Dye Kit - Black – The Detail Store

COLOURLOCK Leather Steering Wheel Restoration Kit | COLOURLOCK Australia

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Spill the beans, what flavor of Euro-trash are we talking about here?
Brilliant advice as always mate, thanks.

Happy to spill the beans if invited...it's the first question I'd have asked too :fistbump::giggle:

It's a 2012 C63. Been searching for 3+ years to find the right one. Completely straight, no panel work, full MB history, and a previous owner who spared no cost.

Exterior is Magnetite Black which isn't actually black (one in the family is enough) but a dark metallic charcoal. Unusually the interior is Sand (tan) which I've always liked.

But this is a detailing thread and it's not a Mustang so I'll zip it here. Not my car but you get the idea...

1718926892601-ju.png

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Brilliant advice as always mate, thanks.

Happy to spill the beans if invited...it's the first question I'd have asked too :fistbump::giggle:

It's a 2012 C63. Been searching for 3+ years to find the right one. Completely straight, no panel work, full MB history, and a previous owner who spared no cost.

Exterior is Magnetite Black which isn't actually black (one in the family is enough) but a dark metallic charcoal. Unusually the interior is Sand (tan) which I've always liked.

But this is a detailing thread and it's not a Mustang so I'll zip it here. Not my car but you get the idea...

1718926892601-ju.png
Very nice!

Would love to see pics of the interior, I love it when people have the guts to order something other than a boring black interior.

And I'm more than happy to talk anything car related, Mustang or not.

I love the engine in that generation of AMG's, the later turbo 5.4 was ok, but the turbo 4.0 V8 is horrible. I know people rave about them, but really dislike how those 4.0 V8's sound, they lack the crispness of the thunderous Supercharged 5.4 and 6.2 V8's that went before.

For me, the sound of an engine forms a huge part of a cars appeal. I would rather the older 6.2 you have bought, or even the slower but delicious sounding Lexus GSF or IS500.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks @DFB5.0, my aural needs have been met for tonight at least.

It was a conscious decision to buy a 'facelift' W204 because while it was more refined than the 'pre facelift' cars it was still the first generation and they didn't hold back. I usually buy cars for what they represent and what they remind me of, and in this case the design brief was very rude for ze Germans i.e. take the smallest feasible and appropriate chassis and stuff the biggest engine into it that you can fit even if you need to design it from scratch.

Back at you with the exhaust noise, not sure if you saw this when it was released but it's classic TG:

Sponsored