OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
After a long hiatus, I can proudly say today was a Miami Monday!

IMG-0417.jpg

IMG-0416.jpg

Extracted from under its cover and fired up for some errand running, it certainly didn't need a wash afterwards...........................so I went for a rinse-less wash instead.

IMG-0412.jpg

Why ONR? I don't know, I just grabbed it off the shelf and went with it. Before starting, I gave the wheels and tires a spray off with the pressure washer to blow off any brake dust, then moved it inside the garage. I could have gotten away without a pre-spray, but I did anyway. It was very cold today, so I did the whole car in one hit, then dried using TRC Gauntlet's and P&S Paint Gloss.

For the wheels, I wiped the faces using TRC Eaglet's soaked with the same ONR mix, blew them dry and wiped any remaining drips with a wheel towel and ECH20. Same for the exhaust tips. The tires got another light swipe with OG Tire Dressing.

The glass got a quick pass with P&S True Vue. The good thing about this glass cleaner is the ability to alter the dilution to suit the season. For summer, you can lean it out to 10:1, for winter you can use a richer 4:1. I have mine diluted at 5:1, the richer mix helping it to evaporate better in cooler temperatures. On that note, it didn't even breach 13 degrees today. At that 5:1 ratio, a gallon of True Vue will make up about 45 500 ml bottles! (P&S also make a pre-diluted version sold in 473 ml bottles).

P&S True Vue Glass Cleaner Tint Safe Professional (detailingshed.com.au)
Tru Vue Concentrated Glass Cleaner – P & S Detail Products (psdetailproducts.com)

IMG-1705.jpg

"Clean" again, the XR8 was connected to the CTEK and put back to bed.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
After a long hiatus, I can proudly say today was a Miami Monday!
I give up, D..what's a "Miami Monday?" :=)

On that note, it didn't even breach 13 degrees today.
The XR8 of course looks perfect but even though it's only the third of June, I am already missing those winter temps! It will probably get up to the 34C range here today and the dewpoint spread, even at 34C, will still only be a few daquiris. <grin>

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I give up, D..what's a "Miami Monday?" :=)

The XR8 of course looks perfect but even though it's only the third of June, I am already missing those winter temps! It will probably get up to the 34C range here today and the dewpoint spread, even at 34C, will still only be a few daquiris. <grin>
Some backstory to set the scene.......................

Ford Performance Vehicles, or FPV, was a joint venture between Ford Australia and Prodrive and were responsible for high performance Falcon's, both in terms of development and final assembly. Falcon's would be built on the Broadmeadows assembly line before being transported across the road to the FPV facility. There, they would be fitted with FPV spec body styling (unique bumpers, spoiler, side skirts, stripes ect), bigger brakes, FPV specific wheels and tires, badges and various other FPV spec parts.

Circa 2003 -

THE_FPV_RANGE.jpg

As mentioned, FPV did a lot of the developed for these models, including engines. Both inline 6 and V8 engines were developed by FPV, the BOSS V8 engines were assembled at the FPV facility, the inline 6 was cast and assembled at the Ford plant in Geelong. The 5.4 Quad Cam V8 was based on the modular engine was made from 2002 to 2010.

5.4 BOSS 290 4V V8 -

BF-FPV-BOSS-290-PARTS-DISPLAY.jpg

BF-FPV-BOSS-290.jpg

When FPV was developing the 5.4 replacement in the late 2000's, a supercharged version of the Coyote V8, FPV used the codename "Miami" during development. Once the engine was put into production, that codename transitioned into the enthusiast market and become it's unofficial name. Same happened with 6-cylinder "Barra" engines, and the same concept as the GT500 "Predator" and GT-350 "Voodoo" names. Officially, the engines were known as BOSS 315, BOSS 335, BOSS 345 and BOSS 351, the numbers representing power in kW's.

2010_FPV_FG_BOSS_V8_ENGINE.jpg

FPV_FG_MK_II_GT-F_BOSS_351.jpg

FPV held an open day once a year, which was like a giant cars and coffee at the FPV factories. I snapped these images of the engine line back in about 2011.

es501.jpg

es502.jpg

When Ford bought out Prodrive's share of FPV, the engine tooling was relocated within the Geelong factory and the engines were assembled right next to the inline 6's. They remained hand built by a single technician though.

57-B-940-B-4532-84-A8-5-C40-B6-B1-FA49-zpstvfi7rnq.jpg

GEP2014.jpg

The above image is of the team responsible for assembling the Geelong built V8's, mine was made by the gentleman on the far right, Stevie Voice, his initials stamped above the supercharger. The GEP letters stand for Geelong Engine Plant, EA represents Australia in the Ford universe.

IMG_E1520.jpg

After Ford wound up FPV in 2014, they put the BOSS 335 into XR8's, which is what I have. So, Miami Monday just means I got to drive my XR8.......................on a Monday. :like:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Another day, another burgundy sedan. And like yesterday, another bitterly cold day, the temp barely cracking 11 degrees.

IMG-0429.jpg

Providing the suds today, Shine Supply Shift. I love this soap, it super slick and smells divine. Drying aid today the equally excellent Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, and despite the cold conditions, HCD wiped and flashed away with minimal toweling.

IMG-0433.jpg

The Ranger also got a wash today, on which I used up the last of a bottle of Meguiar's D143 and Adam's Ultra Foam, both won't be replaced despite them being good products.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Clearly, my brain has a thing for Quotes! <BSEG>

LOVED the photos of the Geelong plant, D! It sure is/was cleaner than the photos I've seen of Flat Rock.

..another bitterly cold day, the temp barely cracking 11 degrees.
A mere 50 daiquiris Fahrenheit..DEFINITELY my kinda temp! "Bitterly?" Is that south of the equator blood not doing it's thing? <BSEG>

Drying aid today the equally excellent Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer
I don't recall you mentioning Meguiar's much in the past but it sounds as though you really like the HCD. Better than Elixir?

Officially, the engines were known as BOSS 315, BOSS 335, BOSS 345 and BOSS 351, the numbers representing power in kW's.
It was interesting to me that Ford chose to continue the "Boss" moniker for those motors and the 351 looks a whole lot like the Predator design. I grabbed the image and opened it in PS so I could look for the engine builder's plate.

Didn't see the initials at first and then I saw your photo of the stamp.

When FPV was developing the 5.4 replacement in the late 2000's, a supercharged version of the Coyote V8, FPV used the codename "Miami" during development.
Ahhh, there's the connection. :=)

They remained hand built by a single technician though.
I didn't expect to read that, D and now I'm wondering why Ford didn't use the same "builder's signature plate" as they have on Shelby's. The slight extra cost perhaps or, Shelby had a say, I dunno.

The above image is of the team responsible for assembling the Geelong built V8's, mine was made by the gentleman on the far right, Stevie Voice, his initials stamped above the supercharger.
I'm gonna guess that the photo of the Geelong team means as much to you as the same shot of the Flat Rock builders do to us US Shelby types. Therefive, since I edited the Ford posted image of the Flat Rock team, I thought I would do the same for you and the Geelong folks. Sharpened it up a bit so you can make out their faces and BTW, it's 10x8" printable.

ds-v8-engine-assembly-geelong-engine-plant_11JUN14_kb_10x8.jpg

So, Miami Monday just means I got to drive my XR8.......................on a Monday. :like:
<smiling> Now I understand the reference, thanks dude.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I'm gonna guess that the photo of the Geelong team means as much to you as the same shot of the Flat Rock builders do to us US Shelby types. Therefive, since I edited the Ford posted image of the Flat Rock team, I thought I would do the same for you and the Geelong folks. Sharpened it up a bit so you can make out their faces and BTW, it's 10x8" printable.

ds-v8-engine-assembly-geelong-engine-plant_11JUN14_kb_10x8.jpg

<smiling> Now I understand the reference, thanks dude.
As I have said before, the day they announced the closure of the plants, I was absolutely devastated. Not that it wasn't unexpected, the signs had been there for a few years, but it still hurt.

For some context, Ford once had plants located all around the country, Homebush in Sydney, Eagle Farm in Brisbane, two in Geelong, two in Broadmeadows Melbourne, there was also plants in Freemantle and Adelaide. All bar Broadmeadows were based on the exact same design as used in Canada, Henry didn't like paying for an architect more than once apparently. That's why these plants had roof design that could withstand several feet of snow, not a likely thing in Australia. The Broadmeadows plant was the newest, having come on line in 1959.

Over a two decade period, Ford closed all bar the Geelong and Broadmeadows plants. The body panels and engines were made in the Geelong factory and then trucked to Broadmeadows for assembly. Ford also had a plastics plant on site at Broadmeadows, but they sold that off in the late 90's.

So, I say all of that paint a picture of what was left by the time they closed in 2016. The Broadmeadows plant has now largely been demolished, Ford did keep a small section for prototype building. The Geelong plant is actually heritage listed, so that remains while the plant itself has been gutted and is being turned into a business park, the beautiful facade remains. All the presses and foundry are gone, giant craters in their wake.

589afabe073dd44d161f8a462e0e879f.jpg

eddd554dc07508d8c1aa36a6b6fbb811.jpg

NEWS-Ford-Norlane-01-700x380.jpg

21039-Ford-Geelong-3.jpg

ploring-ford-8217-s-former-chassis-plant-556451683.jpg

Broadmeadows is largely gone now.....................

Ford-Plant-elevate-1-EPtf-Bw9-t900x600.jpg

So yes, it's a very sad end to buildings that created so much joy more than 90 years.

To Ford's credit, they gave workers three years notice and provided training and employment opportunities elsewhere within Ford (the proving ground and development center remain). Still, thousands lost their jobs, along with the flow on effect across the supplier industry, right down to the cafe that provided lunch for workers.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
It was interesting to me that Ford chose to continue the "Boss" moniker for those motors and the 351 looks a whole lot like the Predator design. I grabbed the image and opened it in PS so I could look for the engine builder's plate.

Didn't see the initials at first and then I saw your photo of the stamp.

I didn't expect to read that, D and now I'm wondering why Ford didn't use the same "builder's signature plate" as they have on Shelby's. The slight extra cost perhaps or, Shelby had a say, I dunno.
Keep in mind, this supercharged version of the Coyote first appeared in mid-2010 and ran until late 2016..............................waaaaay before the Predator arrived.

FPV started with imported Coyote block and heads, used the Boss 302 rods and crank for strength, then used locally manufactured pistons, intake manifold and the Harrop Supercharger. They then assembled them on a specific set of tooling.

2010_FPV_FG_BOSS_335_CRATE.jpg

2010_FPV_BOSS_V8.jpg

2010_FPV_BOSS_SUPERCHARGER.jpg

2010_FPV_HARROP_SUPERCHARGER.jpg

Sadly, this engine is NOT intercooled, there were cost restraints in fully unleashing the capabilities of this engine, the firewall needed to be strengthened, which in turn dictated another round of crash tests......................money Ford or Prodrive were reluctant to spend on such a low volume model. So, the engines were crippled to protect the driveline and meet internal warranty requirements. Apparently on the BOSS 315, the throttle only opens to 50%.

They also used software to pull power once a certain temperature was breached to compensate for the lack of an intercooler. And this is where this engine gets interesting. While the numbers next to the BOSS name denoted power in kilowatts, those numbers were the very LEAST that the engine would make. So on a hot day and a hot engine, a BOSS 335 made 335 kW. But on a cool day and not much heat soak, these things actually made way more than that, the official number being somewhere around 375 kW or 500 hp. And I can so for certain, on a nice cool day, my BOSS 335 is quite the untamed animal. The BOSS 351 was apparently above 420 kW.

2016-Ford-Falcon-XR8-Sprint-22-1.jpg

The interesting part of this engine story is that the intake manifold was in fact designed for an intercooler. Ford engineers later admitted everything was in place for one to be fitted, but cost constraints stopped that from happening. So, while it was easy to make the power, the Falcon bodyshell and driveline were at their limits of what Ford would accept to safely warrant the car. Still, what they delivered was astonishingly powerful for the money. I paid $59,000 for my 500hp V8 sedan back in 2014. Good luck finding a RWD V8 sedan at under $200,000 today.

As you can tell, I'm incredibly proud to own this piece of Ford history. It's totally unique within the Ford universe and as much as anything, shows what we have lost.

(For the Aussie readers, yes, I am aware these things were a Taxi with a big engine fitted. They were crude and very much a point and shoot type of driving experience. The Mustang that replaced these cars is very much a better car. But now that a few years have passed, its quite refreshing how simple these cars were, there's a raw charm to them now.)

Now for some noise! Sedans all got a Bi-Modal exhaust as standard, and there is just the right amount of supercharger whine...............................

Utes didn't get the fancy exhaust, so they don't have the same snap, crackle and pop. Listen to the supercharger sucking air in this one....................

And my Miss Jane, I even love the sound of the starter motor.................................................

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
A small order containing two brand new products from Gyeon.

IMG-0439.jpg

I needed another tyre dressing like a hole in the head, but I needed something to make the shipping. Pneu represents my first Swissvax product.

IMG-0445.jpg

But onto the Gyeon products, of which Eco Wash interests me the most. This is Gyeon's first attempt at a rinse-less and water-less wash. Like all rinse-less wash products, this is used at a 256:1 dilution, while it can be used at 15:1 for waterless wash, or 20:1 for a drying aid/quick detailer. Sounds very familiar to Carpro ECH20. And like ECH20, Eco Wash smells amazing. From what I have heard, this is a benchmark product in terms of slickness and user experience.

IMG-0443.jpg

Next, Total Remover. This is an interesting proposition, a product that can remove old waxes, sealants and even ceramic coatings in a simple spray and wipe action. It would appear this product is considerably more capable than an IPA type product such as Gyeon's own Prep or Carpro Eraser, and is said to be safe on paint, glass and plastic.

IMG-0441.jpg

A quick sniff test had me wondering what was at play here. Certainly not an IPA type aroma, or that pungency of a high alkaline product. No, my instinct said acid......................................

IMG-0446.jpg

Bingo!

In fact, it smelt very similar to Gyeon's water-spot remover, which had me wondering.......................

IMG-0453.jpg

So, Total Remover is a strong acidic product, measurably more so than the water-spot remover. Both products would be a use with caution type of deal.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
To Ford's credit, they gave workers three years notice and provided training and employment opportunities elsewhere within Ford
Mighty sorry about the plant closures, D but at least some of the employees didn't get the axe.

Keep in mind, this supercharged version of the Coyote first appeared in mid-2010 and ran until late 2016..............................waaaaay before the Predator arrived.
Yes, I knew that but the physical design looked a lot like the Predator (and others) with the open intake out to the driver's side. Well OUR "driver's side" anyway. <grin>

Sadly, this engine is NOT intercooled,
So, the engines were crippled to protect the driveline and meet internal warranty requirements.
Apparently on the BOSS 315, the throttle only opens to 50%.
I was going to ask about the IC when I didn't see one, now I know why. What a bummer and thanks for going cheap, Ford.

Good luck finding a RWD V8 sedan at under $200,000 today.
Whoa, does that mean Miss Jane is worth four times what you paid for her?

As you can tell, I'm incredibly proud to own this piece of Ford history. It's totally unique within the Ford universe and as much as anything, shows what we have lost.
Your pride shows my friend, it's quite clear that the car is pretty special.

And my Miss Jane, I even love the sound of the starter motor.
The instant that little motor engaged, we could all tell that it was a Ford starter. <smile> MOF, Jane sounds a whole lot like my Sarah when she fires up.

Great post once again, D..thanks.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I was very tempted to buy more towels from TRC this week but I held off.
I did the same thing, Brian, but I was not able to "hold off." <smile>

Boy, TRC makes some superb towels and I can't wait to use one of these. Also needed a couple more detailing brushes as I wore out two of my old ones while cleaning the damn mower! <BSEG>

trc-purchase_240604.jpg

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
D, you probably remember me complaining about the Mercury sprayers, I have had at least three that stopped spraying at all. Did all the things I could think of to get them working again to no avail.

So, in my frustration, I picked up a couple of these Chris Chrisensen bottles. I haven't tried one yet and they may just be re-branded Mercury's, I dunno but, I like the double action concept so I figured it was worth a shot.

chris-christensen-spray-bottle.jpg

Then yesterday when the wife returned from some errands, there were three bird shit dumps on the hood!

Of course, SHE didn't notice the problem. Got out some product to remove it but of course, the clear coat was etched. DAMMIT!

Grabbed the little Rupes iBrid Nano and their bottle of Fine polish and got to work. It took three or four applications but I finally got it out.

removing-bird-shit-etching_240604_02.jpg

removing-bird-shit-etching_240604_01.jpg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
A small order containing two brand new products from Gyeon.

IMG-0439.jpg

I needed another tyre dressing like a hole in the head, but I needed something to make the shipping. Pneu represents my first Swissvax product.

IMG-0445.jpg

But onto the Gyeon products, of which Eco Wash interests me the most. This is Gyeon's first attempt at a rinse-less and water-less wash. Like all rinse-less wash products, this is used at a 256:1 dilution, while it can be used at 15:1 for waterless wash, or 20:1 for a drying aid/quick detailer. Sounds very familiar to Carpro ECH20. And like ECH20, Eco Wash smells amazing. From what I have heard, this is a benchmark product in terms of slickness and user experience.

IMG-0443.jpg

Next, Total Remover. This is an interesting proposition, a product that can remove old waxes, sealants and even ceramic coatings in a simple spray and wipe action. It would appear this product is considerably more capable than an IPA type product such as Gyeon's own Prep or Carpro Eraser, and is said to be safe on paint, glass and plastic.

IMG-0441.jpg

A quick sniff test had me wondering what was at play here. Certainly not an IPA type aroma, or that pungency of a high alkaline product. No, my instinct said acid......................................

IMG-0446.jpg

Bingo!

In fact, it smelt very similar to Gyeon's water-spot remover, which had me wondering.......................

IMG-0453.jpg

So, Total Remover is a strong acidic product, measurably more so than the water-spot remover. Both products would be a use with caution type of deal.
I saw the total remover. I might eventually get a bottle but have no need for it at the moment. The Eco wash is something I want to try. I am receiving a bottle of ADS hero today. Want to try it first. Have heard rave reviews about it. At the moment my favorite Rinseless is KCX RRW. It is fantastic, even better than opticoat and it was my favorite for a good long while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I saw the total remover. I might eventually get a bottle but have no need for it at the moment. The Eco wash is something I want to try. I am receiving a bottle of ADS hero today. Want to try it first. Have heard rave reviews about it. At the moment my favorite Rinseless is KCX RRW. It is fantastic, even better than opticoat and it was my favorite for a good long while.
At the moment, we only have access to the Armour Detail Supply coatings, but the rest of the line is on the way, I can't wait to try the wider range.

KCx RRW has yet to arrive despite being available for a while now. Australia is not a big rinse-less market, so I don't think RRW is a priority for the local importer. In fact, the Gyeon Eco Wash is only available at the official distributor, at this stage the rest of the Gyeon retailers have ignored it, which is very strange considering how new Gyeon products are seen as hot property.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
At the moment, we only have access to the Armour Detail Supply coatings, but the rest of the line is on the way, I can't wait to try the wider range.

KCx RRW has yet to arrive despite being available for a while now. Australia is not a big rinse-less market, so I don't think RRW is a priority for the local importer. In fact, the Gyeon Eco Wash is only available at the official distributor, at this stage the rest of the Gyeon retailers have ignored it, which is very strange considering how new Gyeon products are seen as hot property.
Well hopefully you can get some and try soon. I really love RRW, it's my new go to for a protection based Rinseless. In fact I just used my last bit of Opticoat and didn't reorder.. It's that good. I will try Hero this weekend. It's supposed to be amazing too. I also ordered their Amplify and soap as well..

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Well hopefully you can get some and try soon. I really love RRW, it's my new go to for a protection based Rinseless. In fact I just used my last bit of Opticoat and didn't reorder.. It's that good. I will try Hero this weekend. It's supposed to be amazing too. I also ordered their Amplify and soap as well..
From what I have observed and been told, Armour Detail Supply is the next Koch Chemie or Carpro. That refers to both the products themselves, and the social media traction/recognition they have received.
Sponsored