Sponsored

What preventative maintenance should I do on my 2017 GT350's first service?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So I dropped the GT350 off at the Ford dealer today.

I called for an appointment and they said to just come in, so I did. After I pulled up, I walked in to the service office and waited for the receptionist to get off the phone. While looking around one of the service advisors started waiving me over while on the phone. Turns out he handles all the special Fords, including the Shelby's and Ford GT's. He knew everything about the car and I instantly knew I was with the right guy.

He even called over the shop foreman who works on all the Shelby's himself and introduced me. The three of us talked for bit and I felt really good about leaving the car.

I'm going to do a bunch of preventative maintenance to make sure my investment is in great shape. As of now that's oil and filter (going back in 1k miles for oil consumption measure), air filter, cabin filter, break fluid, coolant flush and tires (date code was 3Q 2016). The tech will check everything out and call me with any other recommendations.

Since there's only been oil changes since early 2017, I want to make sure any 7 year old wear items are addressed. If anyone is interested I will post the final work once done.
Good call on doing the tires. Approaching 8 years old I would say it’s time (I generally do mine every 5-6 if I don’t reach the point where they need to be done before that). Would be curious if they come up with anything else, but sounds like you’re in good hands.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Mostly good advice, only a couple of hiccups - the car didn't come with Pirelli anythings nor did it come with Michelin PSC2's. So, speaking of tires, what's the dealer putting on?

If it were my car, I'd get the transmission and diff fluids changed as well. Cheap insurance, and if they've never been changed, while they're far from worn out, they'll have a fair bit of break-in crud still in them.

As for the rest of the stuff on your list from the dealer, it's pretty much dead on.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
After you change the fluid/tires/filters/etc. on your list, you will need to change ONE MORE thing............ the odometer... start driving and enjoying. You will never get tired of the exhaust note. As a wise man once said, "The VooDoo exhaust is the Ford Philharmonic 32-Valve Orchestra with Chewbacca gargling on lead vocals".

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mostly good advice, only a couple of hiccups - the car didn't come with Pirelli anythings nor did it come with Michelin PSC2's. So, speaking of tires, what's the dealer putting on?

If it were my car, I'd get the transmission and diff fluids changed as well. Cheap insurance, and if they've never been changed, while they're far from worn out, they'll have a fair bit of break-in crud still in them.

As for the rest of the stuff on your list from the dealer, it's pretty much dead on.
Yeah not sure who came up with the Pirelli but they were never on a Shelby from factory. 2017 car would’ve been MPSS, correct? In any event, a Q3 2016 date code is old enough they should be replaced. Continental Extreme Contact02 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S would be my recommendation if OP is sticking with a summer only tire. MPSS is still around too

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yeah not sure who came up with the Pirelli but they were never on a Shelby from factory. 2017 car would’ve been MPSS, correct? In any event, a Q3 2016 date code is old enough they should be replaced. Continental Extreme Contact02 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S would be my recommendation if OP is sticking with a summer only tire. MPSS is still around too
2015 => 2017 (and maybe 2018 - not sure) came with MPSS's.

The challenge for replacements is finding tires that can match the OEM sizes front and rear. MPSS's, MPSC2's (FP version) and Pirelli P0 are about it. After that, it's a challenge. Checking Tire Rack, mfg's that make 295/35x19's don't make a matching 305/35x19, and those that make a 305/35x19 don't have a matching 295.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
2015 => 2017 (and maybe 2018 - not sure) came with MPSS's.

The challenge for replacements is finding tires that can match the OEM sizes front and rear. MPSS's, MPSC2's (FP version) and Pirelli P0 are about it. After that, it's a challenge. Checking Tire Rack, mfg's that make 295/35x19's don't make a matching 305/35x19, and those that make a 305/35x19 don't have a matching 295.
Yeah 305/35 is the impossible size. Nitto G2 comes in that size but I wouldn’t even recommend those to my worst enemy. I’d go with MPSS in the OEM size or you could go to 295/35.

OP
OP
Trimarc140

Trimarc140

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
After you change the fluid/tires/filters/etc. on your list, you will need to change ONE MORE thing............ the odometer... start driving and enjoying. You will never get tired of the exhaust note. As a wise man once said, "The VooDoo exhaust is the Ford Philharmonic 32-Valve Orchestra with Chewbacca gargling on lead vocals".
Hahaha very good advice! I did buy it so I can drive it, but have to admit I most likely will only drive it a few thousand miles a year.

The car came with MPSS and I replaced with the same

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Hahaha very good advice! I did buy it so I can drive it, but have to admit I most likely will only drive it a few thousand miles a year.
That's what I thought also my friend.
When I picked the car up from the dealer, they asked if I wanted the Extended Warranty?
I replied, "No, this will not be a daily driver, will not see rain, and will probably only get 2000 - 3000 mile per year."
I currently have 53,000+ miles on it and it does not see rain, and is not a daily driver.
A drive to a store 5 miles away is usually a 75+ mile drive somehow...!
Either way.... you will love it.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR Supra Matte Storm Gray Metallic
I would just recommend next tire change to go with PS4S. The PSS are just outdated and not that great. PS4S will get you better wet and dry grip and I believe they are available in that size. If not you could always drop the sidewall to 30's and go that route without affecting much of anything as well.

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
But keep in mind you are lowering the car 1.1", a lot when you can already scrape your splitter on any kind of incline. PS4S is a great tire but I run those in 35 on the front and oem PSS on the rear (which seem to wear out a lot quicker).

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'd just trim to 30 sidewalls then and get PS4S
Ahhh... now I get it - you believe they're available in a different size... that make sense... :like:

As @CANTWN4LSN said, switching sizes lowers the car and puts the speedo out of calibration. Not a big deal if you're on your way to a track day, but for just running around, my preference is for the extra ride height the car came with and a speedo/cruise control setting that I can trust.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR Supra Matte Storm Gray Metallic
Ahhh... now I get it - you believe they're available in a different size... that make sense... :like:

As @CANTWN4LSN said, switching sizes lowers the car and puts the speedo out of calibration. Not a big deal if you're on your way to a track day, but for just running around, my preference is for the extra ride height the car came with and a speedo/cruise control setting that I can trust.
Originally I thought they were available in the OEM tire size but there really isn't much in that specific size at all. Will have to change something to go with another tire unfortunately.

Could try a different width but I wouldn't run more than a 20mm difference in tire width. The goofy 35 sidewalls is the reason it's harder to find anything in that size. I'm not sure what the rim specs are the GT350 is but the Mach 1 came with 305/30/19 front and 315/30/19 rears

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Originally I thought they were available in the OEM tire size but there really isn't much in that specific size at all. Will have to change something to go with another tire unfortunately.

Could try a different width but I wouldn't run more than a 20mm difference in tire width. The goofy 35 sidewalls is the reason it's harder to find anything in that size. I'm not sure what the rim specs are the GT350 is but the Mach 1 came with 305/30/19 front and 315/30/19 rears
A fair number of cars have bespoke tire sizes, and the GT350 and GT350R started out that way.

The R came with 305/30x19 fronts on 11" CF rims, and 315/30x19 rears on 11.5" CF rims. The non-R came with 295/35x19 fronts on 10.5" aluminum rims, and 305/35x19 rears on 11" aluminum rims.

I remember reading that the Mach 1 rims are the same width as non-R GT350 rims front and rear but they come with GT350R-spec MPSC2 tires on them. Might be wrong, though.

There isn't a wide range of tire type or manufacturer alternatives for either pair of sizes.
Sponsored