Sponsored

Wanting to go boost Paxton Vs VMP

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I Have a 3C 245mm converter. It worked well before i had a built motor and was making a little over 700 wheel. The part throttle acceleration will suffer, the 3c is not terrible but is a lot looser than the stock converter. Now making 850 wheel with a built motor and the 3c feels like too much, on the street it instantly blazes the tires at WOT. Thinking about switching to a 258mm 2c which is more for a PD setup but from what i've been told feels a lot closer to a stock converter.
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Probably better to go with the VMP then. To really have fun with a centrifugal you will need an aftermarket torque converter, which will come at the cost of driveability. Ask me how, i know.
This depends a lot on how much boost your running. Geared for 18-20 or more and you are going to start making boost alot sooner. you will feel it pull Early and never stop.

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
This depends a lot on how much boost your running. Geared for 18-20 or more and you are going to start making boost alot sooner. you will feel it pull Early and never stop.

True, i'm making 16 psi on my procharged setup and the boost comes in pretty quickly and pulls like a freight train up top. However to run that much boost you will need a built motor or a wastegate setup. The roush provides good low end torque and not needing mods like a wastegate or aftermarket converter which will further add to the cost and complexity of the system.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
True, i'm making 16 psi on my procharged setup and the boost comes in pretty quickly and pulls like a freight train up top. However to run that much boost you will need a built motor or a wastegate setup. The roush provides good low end torque and not needing mods like a wastegate or aftermarket converter which will further add to the cost and complexity of the system.
Cost yes complexity I guess, but very little. It will never have the low end torque of a P.D but the procharger can definitely Benefit from a pulley swap so you get the boost early.
for a first time boost customer I recommend centrifugal. Thesecars have good power off the line stock and then the boost comes on. Rather than giving you everything weather you like it or not.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
It's going to come down to preference. I prefer the roots style blowers because I own a Terminator cobra and a Lightning so it's all i've been around. I do however like the easy installation of the Prochargers/Paxtons. Both are proven blowers and make good power. We sell both here at www.lethalperformance.com. Send me a message and I can get you taken care of on one and answer any questions you have.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

MustangorCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Curious, is there 1 Centrifugal supercharger that spins up fast than the others using stock boost say 7-10PSI? I know they don't have anything down low like a Whipple etc, but just wondering if one spools slightly quicker than the others?

And why do we never hear about Vortech Superchargers anymore? Are they about dead? I hardly ever hear their name mentioned when people are discussing blowers compared to Paxton and ProCharger. (I think I still have MM&FF magazine's first Vortech 5.0 install from way back when ha!)

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Curious, is there 1 Centrifugal supercharger that spins up fast than the others using stock boost say 7-10PSI? I know they don't have anything down low like a Whipple etc, but just wondering if one spools slightly quicker than the others?

And why do we never hear about Vortech Superchargers anymore? Are they about dead? I hardly ever hear their name mentioned when people are discussing blowers compared to Paxton and ProCharger. (I think I still have MM&FF magazine's first Vortech 5.0 install from way back when ha!)
Prochargers have a higher stepup ratio than paxton/vortech
(4.1:1 for the P and D series blowers and like 5.4:1 for the F series blowers.)
Which means you will get into boost sooner than the paxton/vortech blowers

As far as not hearing anything about vortech, i think a lot of people go for the paxton 2200 sl because of the power potential for the money. As far as not hearing anything about vortech, ask terry@beefcake, he is one of the top vortech/paxton dealers in the country, so i'm sure he could give you some sales numbers on vortech kits.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Lol. I’ve been doing this a long time... well before all the takeover / financial crap / buyouts / mergers etc. I know all about it. There’s a little more to it though. Had one of Paxton’s recirculating ball types then the original Vortech A trim followed by a B and then an R on one of 3 fox bodies Then my next fox had an S trim as soon as it came out. Those were fun times.

MustangorCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Lol. I’ve been doing this a long time... well before all the takeover / financial crap / buyouts / mergers etc. I know all about it. There’s a little more to it though. Had one of Paxton’s recirculating ball types then the original Vortech A trim followed by a B and then an R on one of 3 fox bodies Then my next fox had an S trim as soon as it came out. Those were fun times.
Why didn't you go for the Twin Paxton supercharger setup?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Lol. You must be old too... like me.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

its not just the "spinning", its tayloring the size of the head unit to the amount of boost you want

it doesn't matter that prochargers step up ratio is more.

if you are setting it up for 7 psi at 7200, then it will ramp to 7 psi at 7200, if you set a vortech or paxton up for 7 psi at 7200 then they will ramp to 7psi at 7200

it's bascially the same

if you want a "smaller" amount of boost, then you want a smaller head unit that will be closer to its peak efficiency at 7200

if you do a ysi for example and only set it for 7psi, it will be very lazy feeling ,compared to a v3, same thing on an f1 vs a p1

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
its not just the "spinning", its tayloring the size of the head unit to the amount of boost you want

it doesn't matter that prochargers step up ratio is more.

if you are setting it up for 7 psi at 7200, then it will ramp to 7 psi at 7200, if you set a vortech or paxton up for 7 psi at 7200 then they will ramp to 7psi at 7200

it's bascially the same

if you want a "smaller" amount of boost, then you want a smaller head unit that will be closer to its peak efficiency at 7200

if you do a ysi for example and only set it for 7psi, it will be very lazy feeling ,compared to a v3, same thing on an f1 vs a p1
But a p1x can make more boost lower in the rpm band. has a higher horsepower/rpm Limit than a v3.
So if you waistgate them Both the p1x Out performs the v3 at everything
Sponsored