Sponsored

TPMS self leaning or does it need programming?

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
They’re self learning. You can buy New TPMS sensors, install them on rims with tires and plop them on your car and they will automatically work on they’re own.

I did this with snow tires on rims with TPMS. I just put them on and they worked after a quick ride. No tool needed to program them in.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
No need for a special tool you'll never use again. They are self learning and will adjust on the fly.

Although a weird issue arose several days ago. I went to 3 different Sheetz stations and then a BP station to check pressure in my tires. Each tire was a little low, around 27-28 PSI and I wanted to fix that. Well Sheetz stations have a free, automatic tire pressure device. I changed the PSI on the machine to 33... After you change the pressure, you are supposed to just unscrew the tire cap and stick the pressure gauge on. Well this stupid machine was sitting on 33 PSI on the machine, but my TMPS read 47 and 48!!!! I don't know if tire pressure machines are wildly inaccurate or what. I finally got the pressures right after 2 days lol. I still don't know why the pressures were so inaccurate.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Some will self learn, some will not. Put my factory 20" foundrys from my 2015 on my wifes 2017 and they would not sync, even after hundreds of miles. Had to reprogram with the reset tool. With that being said, had no trouble self learning the custom wheels when I replaced the Foundrys on my 2015. Like everything, experiences will vary...

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I have 3 sets of wheels, all new TPMS, no programming required just put them on and go. Car figures it out in the first 10 miles.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've had sensors auto-detect just fine and I've had sensors that just .. would .. not .. do it without the tool, so YMMV.

They should autodetect, but if it doesn't after 150 miles, then swing by the dealership and they should be able to quickly pair the new sensor to your car. It takes <1 minute to do it if you have the tool.

Sponsored

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
if they are Ford oem sensors, they will self learn, the generic sensors do not self learn

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Same. I traded my PP wheels for the wheels I have now. They had sensors from the GT I traded. I didn't need to get them programmed for my car. They just worked.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I had 20 inch Pilot Sport 4s, as my summer setup. Swapped for winter a few weeks ago. Had the OEM rims with P-Zero, and and a set of wintertires that I gave my tireguy. When I came to pick it up again, he had broken one of the TPMS when trying to take off the P-Zeros. He showed me how hard the sidewall were. Much harder than the wintertires. Thats why it broke.
Anyhow. Since one of the sensors were broken, he ordered a new one. And then he used the broken one to program the new one.
When he was done with it all I picked them up, and put the winters on my GT when I got home.
My GT had not at any point been at his shop. Everything worked fine when I took It for a little drive.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Just get the programming tool, it's cheap enough and you never know when you might need them.

Sponsored

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
I have Ford OEM sensors in three sets of wheels for my 2015 and they have never self-learned. I have to use the reset tool and also have to do the pedal dance to get the car into programming mode.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
"Pedal dance"?? New lingo or are you actually hitting pedals in a sequence like you do with heater control buttons?

CVCashmere

I have Ford OEM sensors in three sets of wheels for my 2015 and they have never self-learned. I have to use the reset tool and also have to do the pedal dance to get the car into programming mode.

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
"Pedal dance"?? New lingo or are you actually hitting pedals in a sequence like you do with heater control buttons?

CVCashmere
There are two ways (at least) to get the car into tpms learn mode. The one involving toggling a dash switch (I forget which) says the car is in that mode but it never actually works for me. I'm calling the following the "pedal dance" and it works every time:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.

2. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

3. Press and release the brake pedal.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
*The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.*

I'm used to Toyotas which require more pedal steps, hence the pedal dance term. On the Mustang it's more finger dance because most of the work involves pushing the start button :)
Sponsored