K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Already working on a project. Will pair with a 95mm soler tb
Have that intake flowed on a flow bench. You want even flow through all tubes or it will be a tuning nightmare.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Comments on the posted log:

- Your data rate is pretty bad on some channels. You'll need to pare down the channel list, like getting rid of most if not all mapped point weights, and speed up the polling rates on things like cam timing.
- Speaking of cam timing, it looks like the exhaust cams are at 30 at WOT and intake are at -20 the whole time. I don't know what the optimum cam timing is, but in almost every case it is beneficial to retard the intake cam at high rpm. You can pluck a good starting point from your logs of the Lund file.
- I believe this is pump gas. As such, it's knock-adding 8 to 10 deg. That means you're having to wait 2-3 seconds for it to feed in the timing. If this were mine and you intend to stay at this octane level (never less), I would add about 6 deg to the borderline tables and limit knock advance to about 3 and see what that yields.
- It appears to be going into cat protect mode, which is forcing it rich. I don't think you have cats, so there is no need for this.
- The fuel trims being +10% is an indication that your actual airflow is 10% higher than the MAF transfer function thinks it is (assuming the injector data is correct). This is causing the load to log artificially low. If you get the fuel trims closer to 0 up top, the engine load up top won't fall off like it is in the log.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Only way it will mess up now is if the plugs come undone.

Yes sir.
Well if TD dosn't want it, I'd be very interested. Gotta find a couple tenths.
But minus the TB.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Have that intake flowed on a flow bench. You want even flow through all tubes or it will be a tuning nightmare.
I don’t know how I could flow bench it and then re work it. I cut it apart and will have to reseal it. I know another guy that does this and I don’t think he flow benches them

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Comments on the posted log:

- Your data rate is pretty bad on some channels. You'll need to pare down the channel list, like getting rid of most if not all mapped point weights, and speed up the polling rates on things like cam timing.
- Speaking of cam timing, it looks like the exhaust cams are at 30 at WOT and intake are at -20 the whole time. I don't know what the optimum cam timing is, but in almost every case it is beneficial to retard the intake cam at high rpm. You can pluck a good starting point from your logs of the Lund file.
- I believe this is pump gas. As such, it's knock-adding 8 to 10 deg. That means you're having to wait 2-3 seconds for it to feed in the timing. If this were mine and you intend to stay at this octane level (never less), I would add about 6 deg to the borderline tables and limit knock advance to about 3 and see what that yields.
- It appears to be going into cat protect mode, which is forcing it rich. I don't think you have cats, so there is no need for this.
- The fuel trims being +10% is an indication that your actual airflow is 10% higher than the MAF transfer function thinks it is (assuming the injector data is correct). This is causing the load to log artificially low. If you get the fuel trims closer to 0 up top, the engine load up top won't fall off like it is in the log.
Thank you for the feedback. Getting the maf data sorted is next on my list. Then upping the rpm, getting the cam profiles closer to Lund for wot, adding some timing, then diving into mapped points to see if I need to adjust anything there.

How do I disable cat protection mode? Yes I do not have cats.

Thank you again!

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know how I could flow bench it and then re work it. I cut it apart and will have to reseal it. I know another guy that does this and I don’t think he flow benches them
I'd do one port, cut out a template for it, and use it as a guide for the rest. That's how I do aluminum intakes. Never flow tested, works great.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Well if TD dosn't want it, I'd be very interested. Gotta find a couple tenths.
But minus the TB.
All yours. I’ve been working on this boss manifold project for like a year and a half, I can’t give up now 😂

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I would trust the MAF since it was provided by PMAS. I never had any luck tuning LU47's using roush data. Thee are at least 3 differing sets of data from them. I like the predator 52's. Ford's data is good on them.
I know another guy that does this and I don’t think he flow benches them
It's the difference from being first or an also ran. Use RTV stick it together and get it flowed. Work on the weak cylinders.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I'd do one port, cut out a template for it, and use it as a guide for the rest. That's how I do aluminum intakes.
I’ll make another thread later where we can talk about it more.

I want to get the tuning good, then either rip the engine apart to find the issue causing it to be slow, or finish the manifold.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I would trust the MAF since it was provided by PMAS. I never had any luck tuning LU47's using roush data. Thee are at least 3 differing sets of data from them. I like the predator 52's. Ford's data is good on them.

It's the difference from being first or an also ran. Use RTV stick it together and get it flowed. Work on the weak cylinders.
Hmm. JPT got my base tune pretty spot on. I wonder what data they are using. I’ve only seen one set of roush data floating around. I know ford offers it but it’s not in the right pressure and I don’t know how to manually convert it

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You can get real close using a wind speed tester like you would for long range shooting and a vacuum cleaner. Would remove the cost of flow testing.
I’ve been working on this boss manifold project for like a year and a half, I can’t give up now 😂

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It's the little things like that that made Bob Gliden and Warren Johnson kings of Pro Stock

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
You can get real close using a wind speed tester like you would for long range shooting and a vacuum cleaner. Would remove the cost of flow testing.
I’ll have to start another thread where we can talk about it. If it’s not super impractical then I don’t have a problem doing it

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If it’s not super impractical then I don’t have a problem doing it
I would use foam weather sealing tape and some clamps to seal the top.

Damn I just gave away a porting trick.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I’ll make another thread later where we can talk about it more.

I want to get the tuning good, then either rip the engine apart to find the issue causing it to be slow, or finish the manifold.
Maybe get to know Bret Barber for that manifold project. Dan is on point, balancing the flow is a priority.
https://airflowsolutionsllc.com/
Sponsored