Sponsored

Stupid quesetion. How to properly do a burnout in an automatic?

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Yeah my base car has line lock...

Best way is to rev it up in neutral, and pull it back to drive at a high rpm. It's like side-stepping the clutch.
Also [MENTION=21972]cbass[/MENTION] I tried this out shortly after you posted it. My transmission made a loud clunking sound and a burning smell. I can't get the car out of first gear now. Wtf did I do!?
Sponsored

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Also @cbass I tried this out shortly after you posted it. My transmission made a loud clunking sound and a burning smell. I can't get the car out of first gear now. Wtf did I do!?

Aww, ya didn't do it quite right. Try again! :lol:

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Best way is to rev it up in neutral, and pull it back to drive at a high rpm. It's like side-stepping the clutch.
I know you're trying to be funny but people come here for advice and may not understand that you're joking. For some people this may be their first sportscar and they may have never heard of a neutral drop or understand why it's a dumbass thing to do. :/

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
N-bomb my friends call it.

Curious though, what happens when I'm driving at 60km/h let's say, put it in neutral and rev, and put it back to D.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Don't worry... Dodge is coming out with their "auto donut" feature.

No, that is not sarcasm.

I know you're trying to be funny but people come here for advice and may not understand that you're joking. For some people this may be their first sportscar and they may have never heard of a neutral drop or understand why it's a dumbass thing to do. :/
^ This.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT

Curious though, what happens when I'm driving at 60km/h let's say, put it in neutral and rev, and put it back to D.
Make sure the rev drops a little before you go back to D but I believe the delay will mostly lessen the shock.

subbz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2
Line lock is standard on all Manual Ford Mustang GT. Auto's don't have it. To do a burnout on an Auto, just hold the brakes down and step on the gas.

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
Line lock is standard on all Manual Ford Mustang GT. Auto's don't have it. To do a burnout on an Auto, just hold the brakes down and step on the gas.
Not correct. My base automatic GT has it.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Also [MENTION=21972]cbass[/MENTION] I tried this out shortly after you posted it. My transmission made a loud clunking sound and a burning smell. I can't get the car out of first gear now. Wtf did I do!?
I sure hope you are joking here... :eyebulge:

Sponsored

Brian74montecarlo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 mustang GT California special A6
My auto has line lock

I also watched a you tube video and learned there's a sunglasses holder under the steering collum left side. Lol

That and hold toggle switch for traction for 5ish seconds is supposed to turn off all the nannys - have yet to find out for shure what all doing that turns off actually

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This post made me think of my 10 year old auto diesel truck sitting in the driveway and the burnouts i was doing when it was new to see who could lay the longest one between me and my buddy in his new hotrod BMW. Definitely some neutral drops those mornings. Funny how 10 years changes someone, wouldn't dream of doing that now.

This, but just a little bit because, well just because. But made me laugh, so maybe not. I'm just glad I know somewhere I can finally call a guy cbass and get a reply. :D

I've done it in my truck, no clue about the GT as I have a manual. But in my truck it just kind of makes some clicking noises and finally finds the gear. Definitely sketchy feeling, it was something I only did once to see if I could coast in N. Never did it again because it didn't leave me with warm and fuzzy feelings. Give it a shot, worst thing that could happen is a blown transmission, but guessing :headbonk: the Engineers put some protection in there for you???

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
When I did it in my old 2001 c240, revving in neutral while driving, and putting it into D, it made a lurch and odd sounds.

In any new rented car within the last like 5-10 years, there's never been an issue, and nothing on the mustang so far, although. I wonder what they've done differently.

And thanks! I have the line lock, works great :D

But as someone mentioned, it seems line lock makes the brakes 100% engaged? So that'll wear the rear brakes fairly quick? Would it be better in the long run to do it manually, and let off the brakes a bit? Or won't do much either way.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I use the line lock. Best method and easiest on the car. It completely disengages the rear brakes when in use! My wife still likes to do it the old fashion way. One foot on the brake and one on the gas. Here's what the linelok burnout looks like at the strip.:D

[ame]

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
But as someone mentioned, it seems line lock makes the brakes 100% engaged? So that'll wear the rear brakes fairly quick? Would it be better in the long run to do it manually, and let off the brakes a bit? Or won't do much either way.
Line lock makes the FRONT brakes 100% engaged, nothing on the rear.
Doing it without line lock will wear down your rear brakes, not the other way around.
Sponsored