Sponsored

Speedometer calibration

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
I’ve read a lot of different things so I’m not sure what the answer is. If I swap gears in my car how do I recalibrate the speedometer? Is the whipple tuner the only way? Lund told me the sct can’t do it but the speedometer shouldn’t be too far off and will adjust. I’ve heard the ngauge can do it but I don’t have one. And I read something about fourscan but have no idea what that is. Can the ford dealer do it? What would they charge?
Sponsored

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I've heard the speed sensor is at the wheel hum or at the half-shaft; somewhere after the gearing; it might stay correct if nothing else changes; but, like you, I've also heard otherwise. I have wheels and tires that are 3.5% larger than OE circumference for PPK2. I'm not going to sweat that. Besides, if a cop pulls me over, he's going to pull me over. 1MPH is breaking the law; it's his discretion at how far over that is worth his trouble; and if I'm more or less keeping pace with traffic it's equal opportunity because everyone is speeding around here.

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
18 GT performance pack. Lighting blue
I’ve read a lot of different things so I’m not sure what the answer is. If I swap gears in my car how do I recalibrate the speedometer? Is the whipple tuner the only way? Lund told me the sct can’t do it but the speedometer shouldn’t be too far off and will adjust. I’ve heard the ngauge can do it but I don’t have one. And I read something about fourscan but have no idea what that is. Can the ford dealer do it? What would they charge?
I assume you're talking '18 and newer.
The speedometer self adjusts.
I went from 3:73 to 4:09 in a manual '18 and within 1/2 mile it was spot on to my uniden r3.

OP
OP

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
I assume you're talking '18 and newer.
The speedometer self adjusts.
I went from 3:73 to 4:09 in a manual '18 and within 1/2 mile it was spot on to my uniden r3.
It’s a 2015

Sponsored

OP
OP

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
Anyone know what the dealer would charge?

Bespinoza66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 automatic 5.0, 4.09 differential
Anyone know what the dealer would charge?
A dealer will not do it. I've asked lol. Also the SCT X4 definitely won't do it and neither would a custom tune as I have read that tuners cannot change the BCM which is where the change needs to happen. I bought the SCT X4 and got a tune from Steeda for my 2016 with 4.09:1 gears and the car does run well but it still feels like something is missing. The guy who provided my tune also told by email that they cannot calibrate speedometers but when I spoke to someone from Steeda on the phone that person said they can calibrate it. I have read the whipple flare tool does work but that costs over $200.

I do not know about the nGauge tuner but I'm not going to waste another couple hundred dollars to find out. There seems to be an initially complicated way of doing it yourself and at a much lower cost. It involves you manually changing it yourself, I have not tried it yet but I'm currently looking through that post myself for more information.

Here is the link to the post:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/modifying-as-built-data-guide.61773/

MexicanBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wait

I can FORScan with an Android phone and mod things?

I have FORScan lite on iPhone

Haven’t tried it yet, same functionality on iPhone with the paid version on iPhone?

It’d certainly save me trying to play around with my old laptop

I’m still struggling to install Peugeot software on to it

Bespinoza66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait

I can FORScan with an Android phone and mod things?

I have FORScan lite on iPhone

Haven’t tried it yet, same functionality on iPhone with the paid version on iPhone?

It’d certainly save me trying to play around with my old laptop

I’m still struggling to install Peugeot software on to it
From the post I was looking through, the code modifications have to be done on a PC running Windows. However, I'm only 60% done going through all the pages for any relevant information regarding gear changes and the last post I read was from April 2017 so things may have changed, but IDK.

FYI: I found questions regarding gear changes on page 33, 34, and 80 on the post I linked to you.

Sponsored

helloWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Maxima SE
Am I hearing this correctly? The SCT device can not change the revs/mile for the S550? I remember being able to do it on my S197 using the SCT X3 and X4. If that is the case, that is horrible for people who have different size tires than factory.

Bespinoza66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Am I hearing this correctly? The SCT device can not change the revs/mile for the S550? I remember being able to do it on my S197 using the SCT X3 and X4. If that is the case, that is horrible for people who have different size tires than factory.
I think it can, but my tuner did it for me. What you cannot do is change the gear ratio on your own.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I don't know what tuners are available in the V8 world, but for my EB, the Cobb AP tuner can be easily programmed for tire size, including staggered, and gear ratios.

Bespinoza66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: I followed the methods in the As-Built Modification thread and it seems to have worked like a charm. I went from 3.15 to 4.10 in my 2016 GT auto. Originally I was told a tuning device would be able to calibrate the speedometer for the S550s but that was 100% false. My tuner is Steeda they have been tuning my vehicle to "calibrate" my speedometer. I spoke with a Steeda rep on the phone a while back when I was trying to get this done and was informed that they can indeed calibrate the speedometer, however, the person who actually programmed my tune told me that it was not possible on their end. As I drove the vehicle it did feel like vehicle was trying to catch up to whatever gear the computer said it was on. I did couple revisions with steeda and it got slightly better but something ALWAYS felt off about it until I found that thread I posted earlier.

So fast forward to these past two days, I followed the instructions exactly and changed my gear ratio with Steeda's tune still on it and the shifting felt A LOT smoother. I thought maybe it was a placebo effect so I changed it back to the original 3.15 gears and sure enough, the vehicle feel off. I changed it back early this morning to 4.10 and drove it like a mad man. The difference was night and day and the car runs excellent. I did not get any DTC codes like some of the people did during earlier versions of Forscan and did not have to do the PCM relearn. Forscan says not to run the PCM relearn unless you get a specific error code, which I did not. So this method did the trick.

Save yourself $500 (device + tune) and get the $80 bluetooth device listed on the forum if all you want is to calibrate your speedometer. After set up with the programs and pairing with the device, editing the BCM took less than 5 minutes to complete and implement onto the vehicle. I'll be driving it for 2 weeks this way for safe measures and then have a dealer reflash my vehicle to stock (windows 10 erased my stock file) and see the performance differences (if any).
Sponsored