Selling a boosted car

Houdinii_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I have a 2018 10 speed car that makes around 900 wheel. Stock motor/built trans. For you guys that have sold boosted vehicles privately how do you normally go about test drives. I have several people wanting to test drive it. A few asked if they could make 60-130 pulls etc. Obviously as a buyer I know you want to make sure the car is solid, but I don't really want strangers going WOT in my car even if I'm with them or run the risk of something breaking without them having purchased it. I don't really ever beat on the car unless I'm actually racing it. This is my first time selling a car that makes this much power so just wondering how you guys would handle it.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I have not sold a boosted vehicle but I would think if they have the cash I would do a normal test drive with them. If they are interested tell them you will do a pull but you will be the one driving it. If they want to do a pull themselves then must buy the car. If they wreck it, huge loss for you.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
First, your meeting place should be at a public location where there are cameras.

You tell buyers if they are serious, they must bring/produce valid Driver’s ID and cash or the means to buy before a test drive. That’s a fair ask for a highly modded car. Just remember even a 60-100 “pull”, many things can go sideways especially with inexperienced drivers AND those not accustomed to high HP vehicles. Last thing you need is your sale turning into a salvage claim.

You also do not under any circumstances allow the potential buyer to drive alone - you must be in the car. With that said, IMO, maybe you should still be the driver and YOU do the “pulls”. The potential buyer will know how the car performs from the passenger seat because the experience is the same. If there were issues driving, both driver and passenger will experience it such as shifting issues, hardware issues, performance, etc.

If a potential buyer comes with a “friend” or so called “mechanic”, you only allow 1 person to be in the vehicle with you during the drive. You don’t know them and last thing you want is to be overtaken by potential thieves - it does happen.

Don’t take any form of payment except cash, wire via actual verified bank to bank transfer, or verified bank cashiers check. If the individual must get a loan, then the car doesn’t go anywhere until you receive payment for the vehicle. If you accept a deposit, usually some folks ask for a non-refundable small deposit -because after all, you’re taking the car off the market with the buyer’s intent to buy it…. If they don’t want to leave a small deposit, they’re not that serious IF that is in fact the vehicle they wanted over all others….

Way too many scams and thievery going on with high dollar items such as cars/trucks - be safe, think smart, and verify, verify, verify…

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I sold my 14 shelby privately. I didall the driving
It was only 650hp
Follow the advice on getting paid
Dont take cashiers check unless it's verified at an issuing bank.i I didn't do any 6to 100.runs.just ran thru gears up to speed l limit

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Cobra Jet makes a lot of excellent points. For a meeting place, I’ve done a few transactions (not cars but other somewhat higher priced transactions) at our local police department. They actually encourage the public to use their parking lot or their lobby for such things as a way to keep everyone safe. There are cameras in the parking lot and in the lobby (not to mention officers are in and out). If someone is reluctant to meet you at a place like that, that should tell you all you need to know about that buyer. I always gave the PD a heads up I was coming to complete a transaction, which they appreciated.

I personally wouldn’t let someone else do the test drive. They can ride along as a passenger. Trust and safety issue for me.

The others covered the actual money part of it, nothing for me to add there.

Best of luck!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
IMO anyone unironically asking to do a 60-130 pull is automatically disqualified. Not only do they have no interest in buying the car (they just wanna see what its like), they have a high liklihood of crashing, lol. Most serious buyers will have done their homework on what they're buying and be more interested in the quality of the install under the hood then getting a feeling for the power.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Just curious how did you get 900hp with a stock motor and a bllower.my shelby git 650

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Just curious how did you get 900hp with a stock motor and a bllower.my shelby git 650
Zackly! That was my first thought. And the answer is ??????

Sponsored

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Test drive with me driving, short WOT hits. That's it.
This

At 900 wheel, im more worried about some Joe running my car into the back of a box truck or off of the road way completely.... Nope

I'll drive, you watch and listen.

OP
OP
Houdinii_5.0

Houdinii_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
it’s a 2018 car with stock motor just upgraded oil pump gears. 3.0 Whipple and fore triple pump fuel system. Around 16 psi of boost.

OP
OP
Houdinii_5.0

Houdinii_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Thanks for the replies. I’ll definitely drive the car myself and just do normal driving with a short pull if they bring money or at least a deposit. Most people have mentioned bringing a cashiers check which if that’s the case I’ll definitely be meeting them at my bank to verify everything.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Cashier checks are easily faked
If I recall right you need to bring it and the buyer to the issuing bank branch to get verified.maybe you can bring it to your bank but not sure.i sold my shelby for 60k and went local bank of issuing bank
They then called the issuing bank while listened and it was good.i sold a 65gto foe 65k and had them wire transfer to Morgan Stanley where i have an account and that worked fine