TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Huh, so the instructions have evolved.

It used to be right at or a couple inches behind the rad backside.
I think the 18-up hoods with the faux reverse vents push you to put them there.
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Al gives the data on DF. I luke the idea of at least some air not being dumped under the car, but I agree that louvers alone are unlikely to make a lot of difference.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any reason to install hood vents if cooling is not an issue? I think there is a negligible DF increase, but if cooling is no issue, why cut vents?
Well the do look cool on a GT, so theres that reason. The air that’s escaping through the hood vents not that gigh velocity so I wouldnt think its more tha a couple lbs or df at most (below 90 or 100 anyway).

i have had a couple water related (I assume) error codes show up, only a couple times and one was on the 800 mile trip up to lincoln where the storms followed me the entire way. Power cut out, I pulled over, inspected things, started right back up and drove the rest of the way without issue. That was a lot of water spray from the underside too. I think something probably an 02 sensor just got too wet in a moment. The other time it was a code, but no real issue and also kind of a one-off thing. Its never been a problem in grid or paddock, at the hotel, or on course (yet)

kz that was fast on the airbox! I’m still waiting on lift space to start my work.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'd argue cooling is an issue - especially (ironically) - in autocross - if you run with short intervals in which you just sit in grid, you'll start seeing intake temps of ~150F (especially with open airbox which is hot air intake) at which you run into timing being pulled territory - vents don't help that much when stationary but they help a lot when moving.
Pro Solos - when it's hot - same issue - you run, sit for 4 minutes crawling to start and then do it 3 more times. I've seen 225F CHT yesterday coming through the finish of 1st run in Cleveland at 70F ambient.

Also, ended up in 2nd in that Pro behind CAM-T car - which has quite softer index (since CAM in Pro is index class). Contingency from Hawk incoming, pure profit this whole autocross business.

Anyway.

@NightmareMoon - Airbox works great, don't think the kit has all the right parts to bolt the two pieces together but I had open box from Ford Performance so between the two I made it work with no problem. It definitely slows the rise of IAT down

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Is there any reason to install hood vents if cooling is not an issue? I think there is a negligible DF increase, but if cooling is no issue, why cut vents?
I'd be careful calling it negligible. It's probably not much in a second gear corner, but I bet it makes a noticeable difference in a 4th gear corner. I've felt it on other cars and it wasn't nothing.

I think the cooling advantage is the real justification, like kz says.

I haven't put the vents in, but I think I might get a 15-17 hood if I do. The 18-up hoods are kinda clunky.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I'd be careful calling it negligible. It's probably not much in a second gear corner, but I bet it makes a noticeable difference in a 4th gear corner. I've felt it on other cars and it wasn't nothing.

I haven't put the vents in, but I think I might get a 15-17 hood if I do. The 18-up hoods are kinda clunky.
Are the 15-17 and 18 and up hoods interchangeable on the non-Shelby models?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Are the 15-17 and 18 and up hoods interchangeable on the non-Shelby models?
I'm not sure. The fenders might be a little different.

edit: Anderson Composites has different hoods for the 15-17 to 18-up. I bet they're a little different width or something.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I bet you're right.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

This is sort of what I was thinking. Since it's the CAMC thread, so I didn't want to pollute it with non-CAMC stuff. BUT, I noticed this weekend (On 4th gear corners), that my hood had a bit (okay a lot) of wiggle. I was thinking vents MIGHT reduce this uplift (thereby increasing downforce). I was actually considering fender vents before hood vents to accomplish the same thing with the high pressure in the wheel wells too.

It sounds like hood vents might be my answer. I didn't want to cut if I wasn't going to get any appreciable DF gain/uplift reduction. I appreciate the response.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'd argue cooling is an issue - especially (ironically) - in autocross - if you run with short intervals in which you just sit in grid, you'll start seeing intake temps of ~150F (especially with open airbox which is hot air intake) at which you run into timing being pulled territory - vents don't help that much when stationary but they help a lot when moving.
Pro Solos - when it's hot - same issue - you run, sit for 4 minutes crawling to start and then do it 3 more times. I've seen 225F CHT yesterday coming through the finish of 1st run in Cleveland at 70F ambient.

Also, ended up in 2nd in that Pro behind CAM-T car - which has quite softer index (since CAM in Pro is index class). Contingency from Hawk incoming, pure profit this whole autocross business.

Anyway.

@NightmareMoon - Airbox works great, don't think the kit has all the right parts to bolt the two pieces together but I had open box from Ford Performance so between the two I made it work with no problem. It definitely slows the rise of IAT down
I never had timing pulled, and my 350R instructor said he's seen 250 CHT's and 290 oil temp with no timing pulled as well. Since he's been doing this as long as I've had a drivers license, I trust he knows what pulled timing feels like.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I never had timing pulled, and my 350R instructor said he's seen 250 CHT's and 290 oil temp with no timing pulled as well. Since he's been doing this as long as I've had a drivers license, I trust he knows what pulled timing feels like.
I remember Lund saying somehere 250 CHT was a threshold of timing pulled but not 100% sure on the exact number. Either way, cooler or not so hot of an engine can't hurt.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
This is sort of what I was thinking. Since it's the CAMC thread, so I didn't want to pollute it with non-CAMC stuff. BUT, I noticed this weekend (On 4th gear corners), that my hood had a bit (okay a lot) of wiggle. I was thinking vents MIGHT reduce this uplift (thereby increasing downforce). I was actually considering fender vents before hood vents to accomplish the same thing with the high pressure in the wheel wells too.

It sounds like hood vents might be my answer. I didn't want to cut if I wasn't going to get any appreciable DF gain/uplift reduction. I appreciate the response.

All vents are more better. I'd been looking at the Archetype front fenders, but have concerns about actual delivery and the cost combined with potentially cracking them with the number of times I bottom out the car at events. Because of that and the fact that the paint on my driver's fender is already less than perfect I may just use these.

https://trackspecmotorsports.com/sh...0-mustang-16/mustang-gt350-fender-vent-louver

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
If it's not pulling timing at 250 CHT, then you probably could have had more at 200. Beyond the increased likelihood to run into knock issues, the intake air temps are bound to be through the roof when temps get that high.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
This is sort of what I was thinking. Since it's the CAMC thread, so I didn't want to pollute it with non-CAMC stuff. BUT, I noticed this weekend (On 4th gear corners), that my hood had a bit (okay a lot) of wiggle.
Do you have weatherstripping on the top of the headlights to help limit the underhood airflow? That really does help.
Sponsored