S550 Lap Times (Road Course)

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
First day out on the track - HPDE 1, Newbie.

Stock brakes on PP S550 GT, stock pirellis, swift springs and a stiffened rear end. CAI and Roush axle backs. I delayed any more mods prior to it's first day out.

I ran at VIR full course this weekend, 92deg. Hot hot hot.
Learnt a lot about the car, me and the track. Instructor let me go solo after 6 sessions out of the 8 scheduled. What an absolute blast.

In my final session with a pretty greasy track after a full weekend running of over 100 cars, I managed my best time.
A 2:24 on a first weekend out.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
DRT... I think you were packing up when we arrived on Friday evening, stuffing your wheels into the back of the 350.
With not too dissimilar lines round the track your HP, tires and handling of the GT350 clearly out perform a pretty stock GT. Well done on sub 2:10..

Ghost.5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL1
First ever HPDE, I was so nervous I forgot to turn on Harrys Laptimer to capture some data. But overall great day of instruction.

[ame]

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
Track/Course: COTA
Best Lap Time: 2:41.9
Brakes: Hawk DTC-70 Front Carbotech XP-10 Rear
Tires and Wheels: 305/30/19 Hankook RS-3v2 on 19x11 SVE GT350 Replicas
Suspension: JRZ Rs One with 600# Front and 1440# Rear Hyperco Springs, Vorshlag Plates
Other Mods: MBRP Street Catback

Had a pretty rough day for my first time out at COTA. Was doing the morning event with Track Nights in America and 3 laps into the first session I get the AdvanceTrac Service Warning (nothing new) and the ABS light comes on (very new). At this point I lost ABS and it completely caught me by surprise. I came into the pits, turned the car off and back on and went back out only to find it come right back on.

After the first session was over I went to the parking lot to see if I could figure out what was wrong. Tried disconnecting the battery for 30 min, which didn't work, and couldn't visibly see anything wrong. Time came for the second session to start and I decided to just run with it and go without ABS.

I ought to be more comfortable without ABS than I was, considering my kart racing background, but it just took more unlearning (of bad habits) than I was really capable of doing in this car, on an unknown track. So the rest of the day I just didn't ever really feel comfortable and I certainly wasn't braking nearly as late as I wanted to.

Then, to top it off, my clutch decided to let go 4 laps into the last session. Overall, I only got 9 hot laps in on the day, but it was still a blast. Next time I am back there I will get the low to mid 2:30's that I was looking for :)

[ame]

Sponsored

Brewddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium w/PP
Way too long since the last time I made it to the track - last visit was April. Have an update to make on the summary post - now running in the 1:45s at Raceway Park of the Midlands as currently setup. [Edit - looks like a couple of 1:44s as well]

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 GT PP
Track/Course: Raceway Park of the Midlands
Best Lap Time: 1:45 [Edit: looks like this should be 1:44 actually]
Brake Pads: stock
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 275/40-19
Wheels: SVE Drifts
Suspension: KW V3, Steeda camber plates, Steeda rear shock mounts
Other Mods: Borla cat back, Steeda diff bushing inserts, BMR cradle lockout kit

So, picked up a couple of seconds a lap switching to the V3s and Pilot Super Sports. Car feels a lot more controlled. Running about -2.7 degrees negative up front, and it needs a little more with the MPSS. I'd say over -3 to get it dialed in for the track, but I was running a street/track compromise.

MPSS grip nicely and are really a great tire, just not quite as stiff as the NT-05. Not sure how much of the time delta is down to tires vs suspension. MPSS felt more progressive, but less responsive to me. The V3s are just night and day over what I was running last time at the track.

Still needs the rear toe link bearing, and maybe the LCA bearing, to really settle it down I think? Felt pretty neutral when loaded, though, right up until the fronts gave up when over driven. (Founding member of the over-drivers anonymous club...)

I think the other thing it would benefit from at this point is a lot more front bar. Sway bars are stock right now. A little more roll control wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. All in all, though, car did well. That lap time is a personal best for me at RPM, and I've been tracking there a long time. The car is quite capable.

[Edit]
I had seen a 1:44 in the RaceChrono lap times, but didn't really believe it. Still not totally sure I buy it, but here's the video from that session. Seems like there was a legitimate 1:44 based on my stopwatch, best as I can tell. But, let's say 1:44-1:45-ish.

Here's the video from the fastest session of the day.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Q8zsyYygrOE[/MEDIA]"]

Last edited:

Mattrix

The Engine Destroyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Mustang
I'd like to add my fastest lap times to the list!

Grattan: 1:33
Gingerman 1:49
Waterford Hills 1:22
Champion Motor Speedway 1:22
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Long) 1:48

YOUTUBE Playlist of My Fastest Lap Videos with custom overlay using my Garmin VIRB!

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2015 ECOBOOST | AUTO | PP
Track/Course: See above ^^
Best Lap Time: See above ^^
Brake Pads: Hawk 5.0 Street Pads
Tires (Size & Model): Nitto NT05 75/35/20 Square
Suspension: Ford Performance Track Shocks, Struts and Springs. Steeda Sway bars and chassis stiffening.
Other Mods: MMR CAI, BBK TB w/Steeda TB Spacer, Mishimoto Intercooler, TurboSmart BoV, Livernois Thermostat, NO TUNE or Modules. Stock Roush Axle back with MRT Y Pipe Resonator Delete. Baer Eradispeed 2 piece Rotors with 6 Piston Ford Performance Brembos. Stainless Steel Brake lines with Motul 600.

Last edited:

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
DRT... I think you were packing up when we arrived on Friday evening, stuffing your wheels into the back of the 350.
With not too dissimilar lines round the track your HP, tires and handling of the GT350 clearly out perform a pretty stock GT. Well done on sub 2:10..
Yeah man that was me! You ran a great time for your first time out - welcome to the addiction of turning money into noise:) I'll be back at VIR in November with Trackdaze, would love to see you there.

Brewddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium w/PP
Track/Course: COTA
Best Lap Time: 2:41.9
Suspension: JRZ Rs One with 600# Front and 1440# Rear Hyperco Springs, Vorshlag Plates

Had a pretty rough day for my first time out at COTA. Was doing the morning event with Track Nights in America and 3 laps into the first session I get the AdvanceTrac Service Warning (nothing new) and the ABS light comes on (very new). At this point I lost ABS and it completely caught me by surprise. I came into the pits, turned the car off and back on and went back out only to find it come right back on.

After the first session was over I went to the parking lot to see if I could figure out what was wrong. Tried disconnecting the battery for 30 min, which didn't work, and couldn't visibly see anything wrong. Time came for the second session to start and I decided to just run with it and go without ABS.

I ought to be more comfortable without ABS than I was, considering my kart racing background, but it just took more unlearning (of bad habits) than I was really capable of doing in this car, on an unknown track. So the rest of the day I just didn't ever really feel comfortable and I certainly wasn't braking nearly as late as I wanted to.

Then, to top it off, my clutch decided to let go 4 laps into the last session. Overall, I only got 9 hot laps in on the day, but it was still a blast. Next time I am back there I will get the low to mid 2:30's that I was looking for :)

Sounds like a brutal day, but good driving. Went to the first F1 race down there several years ago, awesome track. I'd love to drive it one of these days. Looks like an absolute blast.

Quick question for you: how is your camera mounted? I like that location.

Sponsored

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Sounds like a brutal day, but good driving. Went to the first F1 race down there several years ago, awesome track. I'd love to drive it one of these days. Looks like an absolute blast.

Quick question for you: how is your camera mounted? I like that location.
Thanks! Yes, I have certainly had better days out on track. I really only got 7 hot laps all day. So considering the circumstances, I was happy with even getting a 2:41.

I was also at the first F1 race there, and ever since had been dying to drive it. Finally got to and then all that lol.

The camera mount is a custom job that mounts to the headrest. I have been wanting to make a few more and sell them, as I really think it's way better than any other headrest mount available. And it will be even better once I actually get around to having some pieces machined out of aluminum like I intended, but right now to test the concept I just had some parts 3D printed. But one piece in particular allows for vibration that won't exist once I get it all finished.

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Just watched this in-car video of the guy setting a blistering lap in a Camaro ZL1 1LE. Wondering if anybody has a link to a similarly driven video of a non-R GT350 lapping the Nurburgring. I found a few with what looks like your average Joe and running in traffic, what I'm trying to find is one like that Camaro where it's obviously a professional and a closed course. Again there are several with the GT350R but I'm looking to see one with a regular GT350. Thanks.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Track/Course: MSR 1.7CCW
Best Lap Time: 1:23.4

Finally set a new personal best.

[ame]

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
Track/Course: MSR 1.7CCW
Best Lap Time: 1:23.4

Finally set a new personal best.

[/QUOTE]

Nice driving man! I need to study your videos. My best time on the 1.7ccw is 1:28xx.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Nice driving man! I need to study your videos. My best time on the 1.7ccw is 1:28xx.
Thanks! Pretty sure when I throw on a set of 71Rs I can get into the 21's. So thats the next goal!
Sponsored