Rev happy.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Why not leave it at 8k and shift at 7500? Then you are less likely to bounce off the limiter. That will be worse than reving 8k especiallywith a lighter flywheel. Honestly I rev 8k all the time and my motor went 96k before I blew it up and it wasn't the 8k shifts that killed it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikes_Slow5oh

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
Why not leave it at 8k and shift at 7500? Then you are less likely to bounce off the limiter. That will be worse than reving 8k especiallywith a lighter flywheel. Honestly I rev 8k all the time and my motor went 96k before I blew it up and it wasn't the 8k shifts that killed it.
That’s a fair point! I’m just want to make sure the engine can handle that kind of RPM with the lighter flywheel

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
That’s a fair point! I’m just want to make sure the engine can handle that kind of RPM with the lighter flywheel
I have a dual mass so can't comment on that but 500rpm wiggle room will help keep you off the limiter!

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
This, as it seems bouncing off the limiter is not good. If you plan on shifting at 7500 and put the limiter at 7500, you will likely shorten the life of the motor.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'll add in here too, keep the limiter at 8K or raise it to 8200 and shift at 75 to 7800. With the lighter flywheel bouncing off the limiter will probably be safer but best not to. It's hard on the timing chains along with the sprocket and oil pump gears.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Wow must rev insane :like: . The Coyote already revs really fast, I never thought of making the flywheel even lighter!

I am going to throw something out there. The Mach 1 tune does not allow it to bounce off the rev limiter when you hit redline (it just cuts off fuel - No lift shift feature). Its like the car shuts off and does not shock the engine or drivetrain at all. My question would this not be a safer approach to a limiter since I know bouncing off the limiter is what may cause OP gear failure? Not sure if there is any tuners out there that provide this type of tune.

OP
OP
Mikes_Slow5oh

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
Wow must rev insane :like: . The Coyote already revs really fast, I never thought of making the flywheel even lighter!

I am going to throw something out there. The Mach 1 tune does not allow it to bounce off the rev limiter when you hit redline (it just cuts off fuel - No lift shift feature). Its like the car shuts off and does not shock the engine or drivetrain at all. My question would this not be a safer approach to a limiter since I know bouncing off the limiter is what may cause OP gear failure? Not sure if there is any tuners out there that provide this type of tune.
I have no idea but I’m not sure if cutting off fuel while under boost is going to be a good idea. I know air/fuel ratio is extremely important for cars running boost so I’m not sure how that would work.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

Not really, it may be manageable N/A but with compressed air coming in at it's peak at redline, the last thing you want to do is go lean, that's a recipe for carnage. In fact, the WOT lambda/fuel mixture is intentionally set lower to provide an additional measure of knock resistance (among other things), cutting fuel would spike it.

Are you really sure that's how it's managing the no lift shift feature?

And remember, we're mixing two different conditions here, no lift shift the drivetrain is unloaded and disconnected, the motor still has to have over-rev protection when the power train is loaded.

OP
OP
Mikes_Slow5oh

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
Not really, it may be manageable N/A but with compressed air coming in at it's peak at redline, the last thing you want to do is go lean, that's a recipe for carnage. In fact, the WOT lambda/fuel mixture is intentionally set lower to provide an additional measure of knock resistance (among other things), cutting fuel would spike it.

And remember, we're mixing two different conditions here, no lift shift the drivetrain is unloaded and disconnected, the motor still has to have over-rev protection when the power train is loaded.
That’s what I thought. I meant to say not a good idea and not good idea.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

I understand what you mean. I am not really sure how Ford does it but I just wanted to point out how smooth it is. Just bringing it up in case anyone here knows how it works or if it’s even possible on a boosted application.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Actually even if loaded if you hit redline it will do the same. The Coyote revs so freely at one point I hit the limiter by mistake and it just cut power instead of bouncing on the limiter. That is what I am talking about.
Sponsored