Pinch Weld Repair

Droveby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Darkhorse
Hello, had my car up on jack stands at designated points but the weight shifted and the jack stand caused some small damage to the pinch weld. Is it worth attempting to bend this back straight and if so how should I go about doing it? Thanks for the help affected area is around 1.5 inches.

Edit: Image posted in reply
Sponsored

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Same happened to me. I’m not sure it would negatively impact anything. Do you have a specific concern?

OP
OP
Droveby

Droveby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Darkhorse
Same happened to me. I’m not sure it would negatively impact anything. Do you have a specific concern?
not really just didnt know if there was a good way to flatten it back out to make it more sound i guess? I was going to use touch up paint on the bare metal to prevent rusting

elmach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Not a bad idea to prevent rust! I’ll proabbly do the same. I’d probably get a pliers and wrap a towel around and clamps it back as flat as possible?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Droveby

Droveby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Darkhorse
Not a bad idea to prevent rust! I’ll proabbly do the same. I’d probably get a pliers and wrap a towel around and clamps it back as flat as possible?
Thts what i was going to do. I was going to get something like a paint stirrer to keep both sides flat with a towel and try to use pliers to flatten out and then touch it up with the paint. Wasnt sure if anyone had done this.

OP
OP
Droveby

Droveby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Darkhorse
Have you considered a set of jacking rails to prevent further issues with damaging the pinch weld?
yep i learned my lesson i got a pinch weld puck and im going to order jacking rails

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Instead of piers, see if an adjustable wrench will fit in there. As you make progress bending it back, keep adjusting down the gap between the jaws and repeat.

Sponsored

S550HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPP Vert
Don't worry about that's a bonded & welded anti corrosion treated AHSS steel alloy seam.

The bond did not tear, and coating did not crack. Bending back will probably crack the coating....just get some autobody grade caulking in the gap if worried about it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hello, had my car up on jack stands at designated points but the weight shifted and the jack stand caused some small damage to the pinch weld. Is it worth attempting to bend this back straight and if so how should I go about doing it? Thanks for the help affected area is around 1.5 inches.

Edit: Image posted in reply
LMR has a pinch weld repair tool:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-FLANGETOOL/sve-mustang-pinch-weld-straightening-tool-79-22

I have used that tool on prior Mustangs, it does work for badly crimped pinch welds. You can also do as suggested with vice grips and try to work the pinch weld back to straight and flat.
Sponsored